Photos from my Australia trip

Old October 1st 10, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Photos from my Australia trip

Photos from my trip can be seen at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/toastiesv/AliceSprings2010

http://picasaweb.google.com/toastiesv/Cairns2010#

http://picasaweb.google.com/toasties...outhWalesCoast

The first album includes the John Williamson concert. It goes with Part 1
of my trip diary. The other two albums go with Part 3. The three photos in
the third album were taken when we stopped for lunch as Barry was driving
his cousin Kathleen and me down the New South Wales coast.
--
Joy

Don't believe everything you think

Old October 1st 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Joy wrote:
Photos from my trip can be seen at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/toastiesv/AliceSprings2010

http://picasaweb.google.com/toastiesv/Cairns2010#

http://picasaweb.google.com/toasties...outhWalesCoast

The first album includes the John Williamson concert. It goes with Part 1
of my trip diary. The other two albums go with Part 3. The three photos in
the third album were taken when we stopped for lunch as Barry was driving
his cousin Kathleen and me down the New South Wales coast.

You holding the little koala bear looks so cute. Are they docile
generally? MLB
Old October 1st 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_3_]

Gorgeous! What are the red flowers(?)?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

. ..

Old October 1st 10, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
MLB typed:
Joy wrote:
Photos from my trip can be seen at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/toastiesv/AliceSprings2010

http://picasaweb.google.com/toastiesv/Cairns2010#

http://picasaweb.google.com/toasties...outhWalesCoast

The first album includes the John Williamson concert. It goes with
Part 1 of my trip diary. The other two albums go with Part 3. The
three photos in the third album were taken when we stopped for lunch
as Barry was driving his cousin Kathleen and me down the New South
Wales coast.

You holding the little koala bear looks so cute. Are they docile
generally? MLB

Koalas don't have much in the way of a natural predator, so aren't
particularly aggressive nor particularly timid towards other creatures.
Males will fight for territory with other males, and do so quite
aggressively, and they will also defend themselves with their sharp claws if
they (or their young) are threatened.

However, they spend most of their time sleeping and conserving energy
because the eucalyptus leaf diet is not high in energy. They are generally
nocturnal, so those humans visiting them during daylight ours are catching
them mostly asleep. The ones that are there for the public to interact with
are usually either born in captivity, or rescued very young from a mother
who has died of a vehicle accident and therefore has been raised by humans
for most of its life.

I don't think there's been a death recorded via koala attack, but like most
animals, can defend themselves if provoked enough - there are certaibnly
records of folks being badly scratched and needing hospitilisation from
koala attack, but I think these are probably 'extreme' events. The koals I
have met have been happy to just sit and munch on leaves - they don't care
much whether what they sit on is wood, or is flesh, providing that they can
keep chewing and you aren't messing with their baby.

Yowie

Old October 1st 10, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
CatNipped typed:
Gorgeous! What are the red flowers(?)?

"Sturt's Desert Pea", Swainsona formosa

Aren't they incredible?

Yowie

Old October 1st 10, 08:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MLB" wrote in message
Joy wrote:
Photos from my trip can be seen at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/toastiesv/AliceSprings2010

http://picasaweb.google.com/toastiesv/Cairns2010#

http://picasaweb.google.com/toasties...outhWalesCoast

The first album includes the John Williamson concert. It goes with Part
1
of my trip diary. The other two albums go with Part 3. The three photos
in
the third album were taken when we stopped for lunch as Barry was driving
his cousin Kathleen and me down the New South Wales coast.

You holding the little koala bear looks so cute. Are they docile
generally? MLB

As far as I can tell, they are. In the wild, they sleep 20 hours a day and,
since they get all their food and water from eating eucalyptus leaves, they
spend most of the other 4 hours eating. That doesn't give them time to be
anything but docile. Certainly, all those I've seen, whether in zoos,
animal preserves or in the wild, have appeared quite docile.

Joy

Old October 1st 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_3_]

Gorgeous! I get the impression that Australia is vary beautiful, and very
deadly - the classic duo.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
CatNipped typed:

Old October 1st 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Yes, it is. I think that's one of the things that makes Australians unique.
You have to be tough and self-sufficient to survive, but you also have to be
ready and willing to help others when they need help. Aussies are and do.

--

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Gorgeous! I get the impression that Australia is vary beautiful, and very
deadly - the classic duo.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
CatNipped typed:

Old October 1st 10, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_3_]

I've always loved those wildlife documentaries when they covered Australia
and its denizens. Some of them are fatally attractive.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

. ..

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Gorgeous! I get the impression that Australia is vary beautiful, and
very deadly - the classic duo.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
CatNipped typed:

Old October 1st 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

As far as I can tell, they are. In the wild, they sleep 20 hours a day and,
since they get all their food and water from eating eucalyptus leaves, they
spend most of the other 4 hours eating. That doesn't give them time to be
anything but docile. Certainly, all those I've seen, whether in zoos,
animal preserves or in the wild, have appeared quite docile.

Wow. I'm glad I'm not a koala! They're very cute, but that doesn't sound
like much of a life!

Joyce

--
I prefer to live with Feline Sapiens, thank you very much.