Cats and lillies - death warning - especially for UK readers

Old May 6th 05, 06:14 PM
chas

Default Cats and lillies - death warning - especially for UK readers

As someone who lives in the UK and has kept cats for about 20 years, this
was news to me - and a shock to learn of it. Not only that but I actually
had a couple lilies in a mixed bunch of flowers in vase - all now in the
bin.

Lily pollen or leaves, or any part of a lily is extremely toxic to a cat.

A recent death in the UK has been highlighted in our press - and example of
which is below -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...06/ixhome.html

It would seem this is a well known fact in the US - but here in the UK it is
virtually not known about.

Hopefully, more publicity will rectify this - I'm taking a news clipping to
work for our noticeboard.

Old May 6th 05, 07:35 PM

That's unbelievable, thanks so much for posting that, I've just started
growing lilies in my garden and my best friend has 5 cats and lots of
lilies in pots, will send this to all cat owners I know, wow!

Old May 6th 05, 10:51 PM
Alison

I saw this in the Mail today. Thanks for posting the link . I'll pass
it on

Alison
http://catinfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
http://doginfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Old May 7th 05, 12:40 AM
MaryL

"chas" wrote in message
As someone who lives in the UK and has kept cats for about 20 years, this
was news to me - and a shock to learn of it. Not only that but I actually
had a couple lilies in a mixed bunch of flowers in vase - all now in the
bin.

Lily pollen or leaves, or any part of a lily is extremely toxic to a cat.

A recent death in the UK has been highlighted in our press - and example
of
which is below -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...06/ixhome.html

It would seem this is a well known fact in the US - but here in the UK it
is
virtually not known about.

Hopefully, more publicity will rectify this - I'm taking a news clipping
work for our noticeboard.

Yes, lilies can be deadly to cats. Here are some links that list other
toxic substances.
Here are links to several sites that list plants that are poisonous to cats.

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html
http://www.maxshouse.com/ToxicPlantsComplete.htm#L
http://www.geocities.com/taliskercats/plants.html
http://amby.com/cat_site/plants.html