Does she understand what I say?

Old May 18th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Does she understand what I say?

Kitty was up on my chest purring up a storm tonight. I rarely watch TV but
there was something on that I was interested in and I could not hear it for
her loud purrs. I said "Shut up, will you, I'm trying to listen" I said it
in a conversational tone, not one that could have scared her.. She stopped
purring immediately. She was a silent kitty until it was over and then she
started purring again.

How weird is that?

Tweed

Old May 18th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Kitty was up on my chest purring up a storm tonight. I rarely watch
TV but there was something on that I was interested in and I could not
hear it for her loud purrs. I said "Shut up, will you, I'm trying to
listen" I said it in a conversational tone, not one that could have
scared her.. She stopped purring immediately. She was a silent kitty
until it was over and then she started purring again.

How weird is that?

Tweed

Not weird at all. I talk to my cats like that all the time. Much of the
time they understand. There is a lot more in our tone beside angry or
happy. Imagine someone shussing you in another language. Pretty easy to
imagine knowing what they are "saying". I said to Frank the other day as
he lay right in the doorway looking up at me "can I get past?" only _then_
did he move but when I went past, into the room, he went rite back to where
he was laying.

Old May 18th 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

Kitty was up on my chest purring up a storm tonight. I rarely watch TV but
there was something on that I was interested in and I could not hear it for
her loud purrs. I said "Shut up, will you, I'm trying to listen" I said it
in a conversational tone, not one that could have scared her.. She stopped
purring immediately. She was a silent kitty until it was over and then she
started purring again.

How weird is that?

Well, seeing as she is one of the leaders of the Feline World Order, I
would expect her to know a number of languages, including several human
ones.

But it's so cute that she was happy enough to purr so that you couldn't
hear over it! She must be feeling better.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old May 18th 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Christina Websell wrote:
Kitty was up on my chest purring up a storm tonight. I rarely watch TV but
there was something on that I was interested in and I could not hear it for
her loud purrs. I said "Shut up, will you, I'm trying to listen" I said it
in a conversational tone, not one that could have scared her.. She stopped
purring immediately. She was a silent kitty until it was over and then she
started purring again.

I've told this story before, but I'll tell it again. It's pretty
incredible, even to me, and I was there.

When Frank and Nikki were young, they used to travel with me on weekend
trips to friends' weekend houses. Wherever it was safe, I used to let
them go outside. One time, we were on a largish headland with many of
these weekend houses arranged around a branching dirt road. On Sunday
morning, we were preparing to drive back to the city. Frank was with me
in the driveway of the house where we had stayed, but I hadn't seen
Nikki for a while, and was worried about her.

I said to Frank, in a coversational tone, 'wonder where Nikki is? We're
going to leave for home soon.'

Frank meowed, and set off down the drive. I justs tood looking after
him, and he stopped, turned around, and said 'meow!' Then he continued
down the drive. I started following him. He walked very purposefully
along the road, maybe half a kilometre, then he walked up the drive to
another house, and there was Nikki, on the porch. There was nothing
wrong with her, there were no people there, she wasn't stuck or
anything. I don't know why she had stopped there, but Frank definitely
knew she was there and that I wanted to find her.

Old May 18th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 17, 8:03*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Kitty was up on my chest purring up a storm tonight. *I rarely watch TV but
there was something on that I was interested in and I could not hear it for
her loud purrs. *I said "Shut up, will you, *I'm trying to listen" I said it
in a conversational tone, not one that could have scared her.. She stopped
purring immediately. *She was a silent kitty until it was over and then she
started purring again.

How weird is that?

Tweed

I think it's weird, too; but I have no problem believing that she
really did understand. I think cats/owners can form an amazing bond.
They know when you're sad. They know when you're sick. Especially in
your situation (and mine)...where it's just you and the cats, no other
people for distraction.
Sherry
Old May 18th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

we were preparing to drive back to the city. Frank was with me
in the driveway of the house where we had stayed, but I hadn't seen
Nikki for a while, and was worried about her.

I said to Frank, in a coversational tone, 'wonder where Nikki is? We're
going to leave for home soon.'

Frank meowed, and set off down the drive. I justs tood looking after
him, and he stopped, turned around, and said 'meow!' Then he continued
down the drive. I started following him. He walked very purposefully
along the road, maybe half a kilometre, then he walked up the drive to
another house, and there was Nikki, on the porch. There was nothing
wrong with her, there were no people there, she wasn't stuck or
anything. I don't know why she had stopped there, but Frank definitely
knew she was there and that I wanted to find her.

What a smart boy! He might not have understood all of what you said or
what you wanted, but he heard Nikki's name, and he understood who you
meant. He figured out that you wanted to see her. In other words, he
understood the important parts of what you were saying to him (not
expecting to be understood, of course!).

Old May 18th 08, 10:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
Kitty was up on my chest purring up a storm tonight. I rarely watch
TV but there was something on that I was interested in and I could
not hear it for her loud purrs. I said "Shut up, will you, I'm
trying to listen" I said it in a conversational tone, not one that
could have scared her.. She stopped purring immediately. She was a
silent kitty until it was over and then she started purring again.

How weird is that?

Tweed

Now I'm curious, there didn't seem to be anything on last night worth
watchin. Did I miss something?
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old May 18th 08, 10:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Christina Websell wrote:
Kitty was up on my chest purring up a storm tonight. I rarely watch
TV but there was something on that I was interested in and I could
not hear it for her loud purrs. I said "Shut up, will you, I'm
trying to listen" I said it in a conversational tone, not one that
could have scared her.. She stopped purring immediately. She was a
silent kitty until it was over and then she started purring again.

How weird is that?

Tweed

Persia understands English better than I do. She heads towards the kitchen
every time I step in that direction, expecting FOOD. All I have to do is
say, "It's not time yet" and she halts in her tracks. She knows exactly
what I'm saying, make no mistake about it.

Jill

Old May 18th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobblespin

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Kitty was up on my chest purring up a storm tonight. I rarely watch
TV but there was something on that I was interested in and I could not
hear it for her loud purrs. I said "Shut up, will you, I'm trying to
listen" I said it in a conversational tone, not one that could have
scared her.. She stopped purring immediately. She was a silent kitty
until it was over and then she started purring again.

How weird is that?

Tweed

We can't count the number of times we've been amazed at how Sonny
understood what we said (when he wants to, of course). There's no way they
can all be coincidences.

Bobble

Old May 18th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Kitty was up on my chest purring up a storm tonight. I rarely watch TV
but there was something on that I was interested in and I could not hear
it for her loud purrs. I said "Shut up, will you, I'm trying to listen"
I said it in a conversational tone, not one that could have scared her..
She stopped purring immediately. She was a silent kitty until it was
over and then she started purring again.

How weird is that?

Tweed

Given their ability to understand what we think, it isn't much of a stretch
for them to understand what we say.

Jo