OT - I'm SO Discouraged

Old April 4th 11, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default OT - I'm SO Discouraged

It might not be a bad idea to ask for a second opinion.

--

Joy

Basically everything is subject to change without notice

"CatNipped" wrote in message
He says that if I don't gain weight it means that the intestines will not
be able to sustain me after the ileostomy is reversed. So he's using it
as an indicator for whether or not to do the surgery. I don't really know
the whys and wherefores, he's a bit taciturn (you know how surgeons only
like to see their patients unconscious).

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Apr 3, 9:29 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
Granted, I was carrying a lot of fluid (my feet and hands were twice
their
normal size), but at the surgeon's office I weighed in at 104. The day I
was discharged from the hospital I weighed myself on my digital scale and
it
showed 104.0.
Well, I just weighed myself again and I weighed 97.6! That's 6.4 pounds I
lost in two days!!! The surgeon won't do the surgery to reverse the
ileostomy until I gain at least 20 - 25 pounds, and I can't do that going
backwards.
Eating and drinking sugary/high fat foods didn't help - they just gave me
diarrhea and made the situation worse.
Back on-topic... does anyone have any suggestions / recipes for high
caloric
/ high protein meals and snacks?
Hugs,
CatNipped

I can't see where recipes are going to do you any good because from
what you
say, you (for now) are unable to cook. I was going to suggest parking
yourself
before the tv and having the DH get you lotsa fast food from every
drive-by in
town....but something rang a bell in my mind from something I learned
in the
school I attended before qualifying for medical work. There is a key
sentence
in this wiki definition which explains, at least to me, the reason you
don't seem
to be able to gain much weight at all. It states the function of small
bowel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_intestine

You also say a good portion of yiour small bowel has been
disconnected.
If I am correct, you are seriously lacking much of the digestive
process for
food intake absorption (small bowel) and no matter what you eat, this
mechanical anatomy state will prevent your goal.
Your GI surgeon knows all this and a great deal more. Is he a few
sandwiches
short of a picnic for ordering you to gain weight?

Old April 5th 11, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

Default OT - I'm SO Discouraged - AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Thank you *SO* much Joy. You know, I think it's really great that we've
stayed "post pals" for all these years and I can't tell you how much I value
that friendship. Very few people here have "stayed the course" from 1995's
rec.pets.cats - but, of course, cat people are a breed unto themselves.

Mind you, we've got some really wonderful people who have joined us over the
years, who contribute wonderful stories and anecdotes. [I'm just a bit
distressed that some "old-timers" and welcomed newbies are switching to
FaceBook and post very little or not at all.]

Sorry, I'm getting a bit maudlin - I've pushed myself too much and *way* too
long. I just couldn't stand the mess Ben made in the 44 days I was away -
picture a "bachelor pad" using 2,500 sq. feet of packed trash and, literally
tons of junk that he had suddenly been free to scatter over every square
inch of the house. So I was scrubbing sink and toilet, moving things *WAY*
too heavy for me to move - *and* dealing with this *&^%$# bag every 20 to 30
minutes. Just raising myself off the bed is harder than you can imagine
when you have an open wound which looks like it could, at any minute, burst.
It amazes me how many movements you take for granted involve using your
abdominal muscles.

Crud, there I go again, sorry. BTW, I find that it's getting easier to
type, so posting and emailing are actually good therapeutic exercises.

So, again, thank you! I really appreciate the support the group has given
me. You guys are great!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"Joy" wrote in message
I knew you meant "scream". Under the circumstances, I think we're all
willing to overlook an occasional typo. And, as far as I'm concerned, feel
free to vent here. You need some outlet for your frustration. Anybody who
doesn't want to read it doesn't have to.

--

Joy

Basically everything is subject to change without notice

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Ummm...errrr, that was supposed to be *SCREAM*. Sorry about the
lascivious typo - my cheeks are on fire.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Got on the digital scale just now and weighed 94.4 pounds. I know I was
carrying a lot of fluid and had a stomach flu (I'm still forcing myself
to eat and keep it down, but it's hard), but 9.6 pounds in three
days!!!! I'm never going to "qualify" for the reversal surgery. I could
cream, punch a pillow, kick a chair, but frankly, I'm so tired and I
hurt so much that I just can't get up the energy for any of that.

Sorry, I'll try very hard to cut down on the number of "Lori's boring
medical issues" posts.

Old April 5th 11, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

You're welcome. Now get back in bed and stay there! And no more heavy
lifting. If you *must* clean and straighten, limit it to no more than 15
minutes per hour.

PLEASE don't do anything more that could retard your recovery.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 75, so I'm probably old enough to be
your mother, if not your grandmother. Therefore, I'm entitled to boss you
around. ;-)

Seriously, though, I do want you to take care of yourself. The weight thing
is enough of a problem, you really need to be careful not to do anything
that could tear something loose or otherwise delay the healing. Also,
you'll probably have less pain, or at least less intense, if you follow my
(grand?)motherly advice.

Hugs and purrs,

Joy

Old April 5th 11, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
pat Chlebowski

I'm still mostly a lurker here, but do want to wish you the best and
hope things get better for you.... This is a good place to vent...

Old April 5th 11, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

LOL! You'd have had to be a 16 year old mom.

But, seriously, I *am* going to take your advice. I'm actually at the point
that my body won't *let* me do any more. What little energy I have is
better spent on my physical/occupational therapy.

Thank you *SO* much for caring.

Old April 6th 11, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 21:43:14 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

LOL! You'd have had to be a 16 year old mom.

But, seriously, I *am* going to take your advice. I'm actually at the point
that my body won't *let* me do any more. What little energy I have is
better spent on my physical/occupational therapy.

Thank you *SO* much for caring.

Rest, rest, and rest some more! You've been through a huge ordeal and
it's going to take your body a long time to recover. You deserve to
look after yourself. (huggles)
Old April 6th 11, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 4/4/2011 8:02 PM, CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Step #1

Step #2

TELL BEN HE IS BEING A LAZY SLOB, AND TO START CLEANING THINGS UP...
that you are NOT his mother, he is an adult and should start acting like
one! (feel free to print this out instead of arguing with him)

Geez? Did he expect you to come home from the Hosp. in tip-top shape
and put the house in order? If I were there, I would be reading him the
riot act! I guess I need to send you a bullwhip to use on him?

Ben may have some health problems of his own, but he's definitely in
better shape than YOU are!

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old April 6th 11, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
[...]

A heart attack isn't exactly a day in the park, and neither is having
someone hospitalized long-term. I don't think either of them should be
working that hard right now.

Joy