Pronosis for bad heart

Old February 27th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Pronosis for bad heart

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
"Phil P." wrote in message

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in

Ah, yes, he did mention the possibility of an ECG but wanted to see if
the
X-Ray would provide al the information first.

Don't go by the x-rays alone- I've seen cats with HCM have normal x-rays
as
well as normal ECGs. An echocardiogram is the best diagnostic tool for
heart disease in cats. An echo will also let you know if your cat is at
risk for aortic thromboembolism.

Just dropped him off and on the G.E. authority form the vet had stated he
was being put under for X-Ray, ECG and Endoscopy so he's getting all 3.

How's his breathing?

It alternates between laboured and fine, laboured usually after a
coughing fit or trotting up the stairs. Last night he tried up jump onto
the cardboard box he likes to sleep on at night & it took 2 attempts,
when he got up there he was visibly panting & it's only about 2 feet
high.. This morning he was perfectly fine.

The vet said it seems like he has something akin to asthma at the initial
exam, I imagine this is what the endoscopy is for? Anyway I will know
more this afternoon but I have already decided I am not going to keep him
alive for my benefit just because I don't want him to die if it means he
will be in pain or have no real quality of life.

Oh dear, it doesn't look good. Vet was out and I spoke to his wife who
says they want to keep him overnight to wait for the results of the ECG.
She sounded quite sad on the phone, not her usual self, so I am preparing
myself for bad news when I phone again this evening to speak to the vet
himself.

Just spoke to the vet again. Worf has Cardio Myopathy so it's a case of
phoning the vet each day to see how whether he is responding to the
treatment or not. He's breathing a lot easier now since they drained a lot
of fluid from his chest where his lungs should have been. Guess it's fingers
crossed time.

--

Niel H

Old February 28th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

Did your vet mention which type of cardiomyopathy Mr. Worf has? One form
of cardiomyopathy (dilated) often responds and even resolves with simple
taurine supplements. Did your vet prescribe a diuretic to help control
fluid build up?

It may not be as bad as you think. There are some truly wonder drugs for
treating feline heart diseases- especially hyperthrophic cardiomyopathy.

Keep the faith,

Phil

Old February 28th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
Just spoke to the vet again. Worf has Cardio Myopathy so it's a case of
phoning the vet each day to see how whether he is responding to the
treatment or not. He's breathing a lot easier now since they drained a
lot
of fluid from his chest where his lungs should have been. Guess it's

fingers
crossed time.

Niel,

Did your vet mention which type of cardiomyopathy Mr. Worf has? One form
of cardiomyopathy (dilated) often responds and even resolves with simple
taurine supplements. Did your vet prescribe a diuretic to help control
fluid build up?

We didn't discuss much, he just said that he wants to keep him there and
make sure he gets the drugs (he has a knack for hiding pills and spitting
them out later) and enforced rest (from my hyperactive 1 year old kitts). I
assume he knows his stuff as he is very well thought of in the area so trust
his judgement.

Will ask him tonight when I phone in for a progress report.

It may not be as bad as you think. There are some truly wonder drugs for
treating feline heart diseases- especially hyperthrophic cardiomyopathy.

Hope so, I just hope we haven't caught it too late.
--

Niel H

Old March 1st 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Worfy's home. )

He responded very well to the treatment and I have just picked him up from
the vets. He has to take HyperCard coated tablets three times a day to
manage the cardiomyopathy but aside from a shortened lifespan the vet seems
happy that the disease is manageable.

Yay!!!

--

Niel H

Old March 1st 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
Worfy's home. )

He responded very well to the treatment and I have just picked him up from
the vets. He has to take HyperCard coated tablets three times a day to
manage the cardiomyopathy but aside from a shortened lifespan the vet

seems
happy that the disease is manageable.

Yay!!!

Super, Niel. I was hoping your experience would be similar to mine
with my Boo. I could not be more pleased that it is. Do try pilling
Worfy as he is eating his canned food, if indeed you feed him
canned food. Doing this has turned a twice-daily battle into an
easy task. After she has taken a couple of bites of food, I toss
the pill to the very middle of the back of her throat and hold her
head up, gently stroking her throat until she shows me that she
swallowed. (I hold her head because she tries to shake it to get
the pill to the side where she can work it out with her tongue.)
There are actually times now when she does not even try to
spit it out, she just dutifully swallows so she can get her hungry
little face back in her food! Good luck with everything. May
Worfy have many healthy years.

Old March 1st 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"cybercat" wrote in message

[...]

Yea, that will be interesting, Worf is the master at hiding pills and then
scuttling off to spit them out somewhere. I imagine at 3 times a day he will
slowly get used to it. At least he's happy being handled and more or less
lets me do anything to him when lying on my lap. First one in a few hours so
will see how it goes. I free feed my cats with kibble so hiding a pill in a
chunk of wet isn't an option (tried it before anyway and he susses it
straight away).

Little Thor, one of the 1 year old 'twins' who long ago decided Worf's his
best friend had been following him around since he came back. Worf's a bit
of a lone cat so isnt too happy but always gives in - they're sleeping sort
of next to each other now under one of the radiators. lol
--

Niel H