Huey was Embarrassed

Old August 6th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

Default Huey was Embarrassed

The heat wave broke some time during the night Friday. Up until this time
the cats were either playing flat or bloated with all four legs sticking out
at angles and all fur puffed out in order to get some air between the hairs.
It was terrifying (ok, it wasn't but you had to be here to believe it) to
see what looked like the dead and dying all over the house.

On Friday, Merlin was lying in the center of my ceramic tiled kitchen table
looking for all the world like a huge gray pancake with a head sticking out
at one edge. He covered up an area roughly two feet wide. Qui Gun Kit had
curled himself in an arc on the edge of the table closest to the air vent
that is supposed to heat/cool the breakfast nook. I told him that he looked
like a slice of bacon being cooked along with a pancake. He just gave me
his "look Babe, I'm only here for the eats" expression and closed his eyes
again. Tanada was in her current hiding spot in the cupboard above the main
refrigerator. For whatever reason, she seems to head up there when the heat
gets too much to her. Today she has been seen trotting between the main
bathroom where she gets her gooshy food and Mike's bedroom, which is nice
and dark and has great stinky socks to roll in. She's happy.

QC had taken over the bathtub in the main bathroom. It had been used
earlier so it was still slightly damp and helped chill her poor, hot,
exhausted, and long suffering body. Every so often Pine Cone would look in
on her and see if she was still in the same place. Of course she hadn't
moved so much as a hair, so he'd sigh and try again to get into Amanda's
room. Since she had the door closed he contented himself to killing time by
opening the folding doors to the laundry area and sacking out on the cool
metal of the wash machine.

Our room was occupied by Sonya and Huey. I had the fan blowing on the
computer area, which meant that our bed got the almost air flow from the
side of the fan. Sonya lay on the bed, on her back with her paws blissfully
sprawled out so that she could get the best of the slight movement of air
between individual hairs on her poor hot little tummy. She looked so
blissful and sweet and was in one of the deepest sleeps I'd ever seen a cat
indulge in.

So now, finally, we are down to Huey. Huey was doing his best bloated furry
pig impression on the high boy that I store all my stuff that doesn't belong
in the closet. It is a five foot tall fake antique dresser with enough room
on top for even Huey to sprawl on. Huey is the only one of the cats that is
truly feeling his weight. Merlin isn't really fluffy as much as he has an
udder that drags the ground and sprawls better than he does. Huey is
fluffy. I look up at pig cat and he is laying half on his side and half on
his back with his front paws lying down the sides of his body and his left
rear leg in the air. I'm telling Rob how I once saw a dead bloated pig in
that exact same position when Huey snorts and rolls. Backwards, Behind the
highboy. With a high pitched pig squeal. Disappeared completely from
public view.

Rob says, "well, I guess he wasn't dead after all," and goes back to work on
his computer.

Mandy comes in and says, "do you know that Huey is stuck behind the highboy,
and can't get out?"

Rob looks confused. "What do you mean he can't get out?" I am laughing
hard enough that I need to visit the bathroom.

By the time I get out of the bathroom, Mandy is trying to coax Huey out from
behind the highboy. She has assured us that he is not hurt, has been able
to some how twist himself back into an upright position, but cannot figure
out how to get from behind the highboy. Since Sonya dashes behind the
highboy as part of her chase game with Huey, who cannot get behind it to
catch her, I am not surprised. Rob however, is surprised. He walks over
looks behind the highboy and sees that Huey is fine, though embarrassed, and
is trying to get out, lick himself, and call for assistance at the same
time. This results in "thump, thump, arp" noises and I find myself sitting
on the bed because my legs won't hold me up for some reason.

Rob gives me a disgusted look and pulls the top of the highboy forward.
This sends the back bottom up in a sort of thin wedge and lifts Huey up an
inch or two, and opens enough of a gap that he is able to move. He
scrambles out onto the book case that I use for reference and school texts.
He shakes himself and looks over at me, and sees Sonya instead. Now if
Sonya were laughing at him, Huey would soothe his bruised ego by rushing at
her, and proving to her that he is the roughest, toughest, and meanest fat
wrestler since Hulk Hogan. Sonya looks sympathetic instead. This means
that Huey cannot use his preferred method of covering up his embarrassment.
He has to come up with a new move.

So he sits in the center of the bedroom, with an injured look on his face
for almost a minute, then bends over licks a stray hair back into place,
then waddles to the food trough and stokes down some ego assistance. While
Huey is feeding his ego, Pine Cone comes into the bedroom, attracted by all
the laughter and commotion. He walks over to Huey and stands there looking
at him. You can almost see what is running through PC's head. He slowly
reaches out a paw and prods Huey in the side. Huey snarls at PC, then
launches at him. By this time, Pine Cone has not only left the room, but is
halfway down the hall. Huey follows as fast as he can, and finds...Speedy,
the d-thing waiting for him. I think that PC and Speedy between them have
worked off at least an ounce of pesky cat food that Huey didn't really need
after all.

Pam S.

Old August 6th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tish

love it!
Our cats will be emulating yours come summertime (southern
hemisphere). Right now it is mildly chilly and our two have sudden,
unpredictable, bursts of energy when they go *hoooning* through the
house banging into walls and careening around corners. Persephone,
bless her silly little head, hasn't yet figured out the physics of
closed doors and regularly bangs into them at full waddle. Spock,
being an Evil Genius (in training), knows to apply the brakes in time
and knows that Persephone will be so intent on chasing him that she
will ignore all else. Spock seems to enjoy leading Persephone on a
gallop into the doors. Persephone also enjoys playing fetch with her
wee grey mousies. Spock's public service is to chew the tails off
them as soon as they come into the house.

Tish

Old August 6th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:24:39 +0000, tanada wrote:

[...]

That was fun to read! MLB

Old August 7th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

Great story, Pam. I could just *see* the whole episode in my mind's
eye. Glad to hear the heat broke.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

Old August 8th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Sun 06 Aug 2006 06:24:39p, tanada wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
k.net):

I think that PC and Speedy between them have
worked off at least an ounce of pesky cat food that Huey didn't
really need after all.

LOL! Great story Pam.

--
Cheryl
Old August 8th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Persephone and spck remind me *so* much of Ebenezer and Snooch!

In our hot weather, Shmogg meatloafed in the shower well after we had had a
shower. We carefully avoided mentioning that the cooling stuff on his belly
and paws was *water*, because he always seem so happy meatloafing there.

Heck, before we had a/c I used to join him in a cool bath.

Yowie

Old August 8th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-08-06, tanada penned:
his left rear leg in the air. I'm telling Rob how I once saw a dead
bloated pig in that exact same position when Huey snorts and rolls.
Backwards, Behind the highboy. With a high pitched pig squeal.
Disappeared completely from public view.

Great story, beautifully told! Thanks for sharing it!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 9th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

tanada wrote:

The heat wave broke some time during the night Friday. Up until this time
the cats were either playing flat or bloated with all four legs sticking out
at angles and all fur puffed out in order to get some air between the hairs.
It was terrifying (ok, it wasn't but you had to be here to believe it) to
see what looked like the dead and dying all over the house.

snip
Pam S.

Great story, thanks.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Huey got me back Tanada Cat anecdotes 28 July 18th 06 04:08 PM
Tales from the Mouser: Island Shore leave (archive) Mischief Cat anecdotes 0 May 20th 06 04:10 AM
Last Year's Voyage Part 6 Mischief Cat anecdotes 0 April 22nd 05 04:47 PM
Tales of The Mouser: SPC Huey's Promotion Tanada Cat anecdotes 6 September 7th 04 03:43 AM
God, I'm so embarrassed Allegra640 Cat anecdotes 1 January 4th 04 08:50 AM