ellis

Old November 16th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default ellis

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

I can't think of any Turkish name that sounds anything like "Ellis".
"Elis" is a Greek one, and there are variants of "Alice" in most
European languages, but I suspect the whole thing is fictional
anyway.

Ellis (spelled with two l's) is an Irish name, as far as I know.

Cats in Turkey tend to belong to businesses or neighbourhoods rather
than families, but you see more of them than in any Christian country
I've been to and they are mostly looked after reasonably well.

Kind of sounds like the relationship between people and cats on some of
the Greek islands, at least as photographed by the appropriately named
Hans Silvester, famous for the "Cats in the Sun" series. The cats don't
go into people's homes, but they're considered members of the villages.
People do feed them, especially the fishermen, who save the odds and
ends for the cats. Cats gather en masse at day's end when the fishing
boats are coming in. Well, it's a lovely image, anyway, so I hope it's
true.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old November 16th 08, 08:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

Christina Websell kirjoitti:

You beat me to it. I was going to say no language is foreign if it's your
own. There is some sort of strange idea that everyone should speak English.

Tweed

But of course everybody speaks English, even all the aliens on the
sci-fi shows speak English...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old November 16th 08, 08:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:11:05 +0200, Christine K
wrote:

Christina Websell kirjoitti:

You beat me to it. I was going to say no language is foreign if it's your
own. There is some sort of strange idea that everyone should speak English.

Tweed

But of course everybody speaks English, even all the aliens on the
sci-fi shows speak English...

well, sometimes they need a univeral translator
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old November 16th 08, 09:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote:

Christina Websell kirjoitti:

You beat me to it. I was going to say no language is foreign if
it's your own. There is some sort of strange idea that everyone
should speak English.

Tweed

But of course everybody speaks English, even all the aliens on the
sci-fi shows speak English...

well, sometimes they need a univeral translator

Can't beat the Babel fish :-)

Yowie

--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old November 16th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Nov 15, 6:37*pm, wrote:

People do feed them, especially the fishermen, who save the odds and
ends for the cats. Cats gather en masse at day's end when the fishing
boats are coming in. Well, it's a lovely image, anyway, so I hope it's
true.

Recently a friend of mine went to Greece and she sent me a postcard of
just that- a fishing boat in the harbour with about 10-12 cats sitting
there plainly waiting for their tea!

She told me it was like that so yes its true

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old November 16th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote:

Christina Websell kirjoitti:

You beat me to it. I was going to say no language is foreign if
it's your own. There is some sort of strange idea that everyone
should speak English.

Tweed

But of course everybody speaks English, even all the aliens on the
sci-fi shows speak English...

well, sometimes they need a univeral translator

Can't beat the Babel fish :-)

I'm always amazed at the number of science fiction fans here. It seems
sci-fi and cat slavery go hand in hand!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Yowie

Old November 16th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

Lesley kirjoitti:
On Nov 15, 6:37 pm, wrote:

People do feed them, especially the fishermen, who save the odds and
ends for the cats. Cats gather en masse at day's end when the fishing
boats are coming in. Well, it's a lovely image, anyway, so I hope it's
true.

Recently a friend of mine went to Greece and she sent me a postcard of
just that- a fishing boat in the harbour with about 10-12 cats sitting
there plainly waiting for their tea!

She told me it was like that so yes its true

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

With a google photos search "greek cats" one gets a massive load of
photos of kitties hanging out in the sun, by the harbour, in the shade
etc. And when I was in Santorini, Greece in August, they did have a lot
of calendars with kitty pics, but I didn't buy any...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old November 16th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Nov 16, 7:43*am, "CatNipped" wrote:

I'm always amazed at the number of science fiction fans here. *It seems
sci-fi and cat slavery go hand in hand!

Let's see off the top of my head I can name 16 cats (some RB) who own
or have owned members of the role playing games club I attend...Come
to think of it I don;t think any have ever mentioned d*g things so
that's something else that goes hand in hand...then again role players
are usually sci-fi fans

Old November 16th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

Christina Websell kirjoitti:

You beat me to it. I was going to say no language is foreign if
it's your own. There is some sort of strange idea that everyone
should speak English.

Tweed

But of course everybody speaks English, even all the aliens on the
sci-fi shows speak English...

well, sometimes they need a univeral translator

Can't beat the Babel fish :-)

I'm always amazed at the number of science fiction fans here. It
seems sci-fi and cat slavery go hand in hand!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Did you watch the (remake) of Andromeda Strain yesterday? Michael Crichton
died last week!

Jill

Old November 16th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

hopitus wrote:

Have a tad of common sense, will you? Also, should I be all freaking
about
neo-Nazis? Are they the ones who did 9/11? Huh? Get off my back. I got
nothing against you. Who rattled your cage?

Well actually, there have even been accusations that the Bush
administration had something to do with 9/11! I don't say I believe it,
but "neo-nazis might be just as culpable as anyone - it all depends upon
which "authority" you follow. (Too much of the "news" we get to read
and hear nowadays is more opinion or out-and-out fiction than simple
fact - however many sources one consults.)