Cats Spraying Indoors...LOOONNGG!!

Old November 14th 03, 02:49 AM
Gizela

Default Cats Spraying Indoors...LOOONNGG!!

Hi All...

Before I go into the main reason for this post I thought I'd let you now
that my exam went OK yesterday and I think I may have gone OK....that said,
I still have Gizmo purring for me getting good results...

Next.....Gizmo has taken to urine spraying on certain items in the
house....I haven't actually seen her doing it but I know she has to be as
there is urine on furniture items, on the sides, and there is no way of her
getting on top of the item and squatting to urinate. Like, there is no way
she can get on top of th microwave but there was urine down the side
(starting at the height if her...well...."nether regions").....it is not new
furnitur she is spraying on and her routine hasn't been changed.

So, I did some research.....and the common thing seems to be "stress" or if
she is seeing a cat outside the window in "her territory"....the cat out the
window theory can't be too feasible as most of the places this has happened
the blinds have been closed (always, not just recently).

She has been desexed before anyone asks.

SO....a few sites recommended a product called "Feliway"...which is quite
expensive.....has anyone had any success with this product? (I don't want to
spend $60 if it isn't going to work). It is meant to stop the spraying
behaviour...through pheromones or something.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago she has been checked out for a UTI.....I am
assuming now that it must be behavioural.....but stress?....I can't
understand how she'd could be stressed....nothing in her "internal
environment" has changed (that said, I don't know what she gets upto
outside....ALL the time....most of the time she is happy sitting in the sun
in our courtyard)

Obviously I want to try and solve this problem as I don't want her to happy
(primarily) for any reason and last night she sprayed on the Wok!
(eeegghhh).

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be extremely grateful

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo

Old November 14th 03, 06:00 PM
Takayuki

"Gizela" u wrote:
Next.....Gizmo has taken to urine spraying on certain items in the
house....I haven't actually seen her doing it but I know she has to be as
there is urine on furniture items, on the sides, and there is no way of her
getting on top of the item and squatting to urinate. Like, there is no way
she can get on top of th microwave but there was urine down the side
(starting at the height if her...well...."nether regions").....it is not new
furnitur she is spraying on and her routine hasn't been changed.

I'm glad you didn't find your exam too difficult. But this problem
sounds pretty difficult! You sound like you have pretty much
everything covered. UTI check, Feliway...

I don't really have any advice, because Betty hasn't sprayed anything
yet, but I hope you can resolve your problem soon.

Old November 14th 03, 09:18 PM
polonca12000

So sorry for not having any suggestions, but I am certain others will have
some useful ideas about what to do.
Lots of purrs and best wishes for spraying to stop,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Gizela" u wrote in message
Hi All...

Before I go into the main reason for this post I thought I'd let you now
that my exam went OK yesterday and I think I may have gone OK....that

said,
I still have Gizmo purring for me getting good results...

Next.....Gizmo has taken to urine spraying on certain items in the
house....snip

Old November 14th 03, 11:58 PM
Margaret Fine

Gizela wrote:
[...]

I don't have any real help to offer but to suggest that you try ordering
feliway from KVVet.com It is $17 US for a bottle and the cheapest I've
seen it anywhere. I have used both the spray and the diffuser for
scratching (not urine marking) and I think the spray worked much better,
at least for my situation.

--
Margaret Fine

Old November 15th 03, 04:57 AM
Marina

"Gizela" u wrote

Next.....Gizmo has taken to urine spraying on certain items in the
house....

I don't really have any advice, but we are sending purrs that Gizmo calms
down and starts using the litterbox only.

As for the Feliway diffuser, I do have experience with that. Last year,
Nikki started overgrooming. When she had pulled out all the hair on her
tummy, I took her to the vet, who took a bloodtest, and then recommended
trying a Feliway diffuser. I bought one and plugged it in. Soon after that,
the bloodwork result came, and it appeared that Nikki had hyperthyroidism,
so I started her on her medication. She stopped overgrooming, but I can't be
sure that the Feliway had anything to do with it. It might just have been
the medication. So I can't really recommend it, but can't say for sure that
it didn't help. I don't have a diffuser now, and Nikki hasn't been
overgrooming any longer, so your guess is as good as mine. I do know some
people swear by the diffuser and the spray. If Gizmo is spraying in so many
different places, it might be hard to keep up with the spray, while the
diffuser should keep her calmer on the whole.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki