Diabetic Cat

Old October 7th 03, 11:55 AM
Stephen Ward

Default Diabetic Cat

Our cat Sam (large, neutered male, about 7 years of age) has recently been
diagnosed with diabetes.

However, we're having trouble getting him stabilised. Already he's on 12
units of PZI a day, which apparently is extremely high.

Does anbody else have a cat on such a high dose? Is it that unusual?

Regards
Stephen Ward

Old October 8th 03, 01:07 AM
Sarah

"Sarah" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...

If you haven't already, you might want to visit www.felinediabetes.com and
up of owners of diabetic pets. I belonged to this list for a couple of
years when I was caring for a diabetic cat and found it very helpful.

at petdiabetes.org looks helpful as well...

Old October 8th 03, 03:56 AM
Hank

What kind of food has you cat been given the past 7 years?

Old October 8th 03, 03:56 AM
Hank

What kind of food has you cat been given the past 7 years?

Old October 8th 03, 04:38 PM
Liz

I know personally a Type II diabetic. It took months to get his
carb/sugar intake fixed and a proper insulin injection regimen dialed
in right. I agree that if you sharply reduce sugars without a proper
corresponding insulin reduction ... you can go into a coma and
possibly die.

True type II diabetes does not respond to insulin unless there´s
glucose toxicity. Insulin tells a cell to take up glucose from blood
by clinging to a protein on the surface of the cell. In type II
diabetes, this clinging does not occur so you can shoot a gallon of
insulin in a type II diabetic and get no response. But obviously Phil
does not know this. That´s what happens when one just copies away
without any background. In people, around 90% of diabetics are type
II, or non-insulin dependent, also called senile diabetes.

This cat could be type I and is not responding to this specific
insulin. Insulin from different species have slightly different shapes
so some are effective to some individuals and some are not (the
clinging must occur for the cell to respond to insulin). For the
clinging to occur, the key must fit the lock perfectly.

http://www.vetstop.com.au/Info/DMFeline.htm

Old October 8th 03, 05:07 PM
Phil P.

"Liz" wrote in message
om...

But obviously Phil
does not know this. That´s what happens when one just copies away
without any background.

Really? You're not only a nut cat (the opinion of 4 out of 4 vets who read
your asinine theories) and dangerous to cats, you're a complete and total
mindless fool! ROTFL! Almost every one in this group *knows* I've been
managing diabetic cats for more than *10 years*! I've helped several people
regulate their cats! ROTFLMAO!

Its really *you* who has absolutely *no* background or experience treating
or managing diabetic cats... or any cat for that matter!

I just love it when you shoot yourself in the foot trying to shoot me!
ROTFLMAO!

Old October 9th 03, 08:48 AM
Marek Williams

On 8 Oct 2003 08:38:20 -0700, (Liz) dijo:

True type II diabetes does not respond to insulin unless there´s
glucose toxicity. Insulin tells a cell to take up glucose from blood
by clinging to a protein on the surface of the cell. In type II
diabetes, this clinging does not occur so you can shoot a gallon of
insulin in a type II diabetic and get no response. But obviously Phil
does not know this. That´s what happens when one just copies away
without any background. In people, around 90% of diabetics are type
II, or non-insulin dependent, also called senile diabetes.

Hmmm. Why are all my Type 2 friends using insulin to control it then?

You might be interested to know that there are over a dozen different
causes of diabetes, roughly categorized as Type 1 and Type 2. (In
other words, there exist numerous causes of Type 2.) All, both Type 1
and Type 2, respond to increased insulin. In this respect there is no
difference between humans and cats. Injected insulin has the same
effect on the cell wall stoma as endogenous insulin; the more insulin
in the blood stream, the more the stoma open up.

Oh, and there is no such thing as "true" Type 2 diabetes. In fact,
there are no two patients who present exactly the same causes.
Determining the proper therapy is always a trial and error process.
But insulin is still the drug of choice for all kinds of diabetes
because it is the most benign and is easiest to control.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.