Can cats not eat pork?

Old November 15th 05, 07:06 AM
wafflycat

Default Can cats not eat pork?

"No More Retail" wrote in message
.. .
THE MEDIA HAS A SECRET AGENDA THEY HAVE HIDDEN VOICES IN THE COMMERCIALS
:-)
Sssshhh can you hear them

Hah! My tin-foil hat protects me from such things ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Old November 15th 05, 07:46 AM
Jo Firey

"wafflycat" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

I also hate how the
media seems love to instill fear in people.

Exactly. And for some strange reason, the BBC seems to be getting better
than most at this The BBC *used* to be a fairly sane organisation but
has been dumbing-down for some time, even in its news coverage. The TV ad
it did for its own Panorama programme on bird 'flu was appallingly
scare-mongering, even down to the deathly music in it. BAH!

Cheers, helen s

This seems to be the month for Bird Flu panic in the media. Not much else
going on news wise.

I do think the governments are feeding this particular scare. And its
likely necessary. No the pandemic has not arrived, but there are measures
that must be taken. And they are going to cost a great deal of money. The
masses pony up the necessary taxes better when they are in a panic.

Jo

Old November 15th 05, 11:48 AM

Can cats not eat pork?

Not the Muslim ones, its against the religion, swine and all that... The
rest seem to manage no problem...

Old November 15th 05, 11:22 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
oups.com...

The reason I never trusted raw chicken was salmonella. I don't even
know whether cats contract that or not, but I always cooked the chicken
first for them.

Cats are highly resistant to salmonella because of the acidity of their
stomach- about pH 1- almost all hydrochloric acid! But some salmonellae can
skirt the stomach acid and make its way into bloodstream and then saliva.
When the cat grooms herself or another cat, she can contaminate her coat
which can then contaminate the environment and presents a risk for kittens
and humans- especially toddlers who spend a lot of time on the floor, and
the elderly who may be immunocompromised.

So, its always a good idea to cook chicken thoroughly.

Phil.

Old November 15th 05, 11:48 PM
whitershadeofpale

Phil P. wrote:

Cats are highly resistant to salmonella because of the acidity of their
stomach- about pH 1- almost all hydrochloric acid! But some salmonellae can
skirt the stomach acid and make its way into bloodstream and then saliva.
When the cat grooms herself or another cat, she can contaminate her coat

yeah, that's what I was thinking
I was getting ready to say that

which can then contaminate the environment and presents a risk for kittens
and humans- especially toddlers who spend a lot of time on the floor, and
the elderly who may be immunocompromised.

nothing worse than a contaminated cat who crawls all over elderly folk,
especially around thier face. (Taking for granted the original food
consumed had trichinosis)

Old November 19th 05, 02:44 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

CatNipped wrote:

I was going by a news report that had said the bird flu killed

tigers
in a zoo in Thailand:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3755908.stm

Hugs,

CatNipped

Wow, I was just at that tiger zoo on Sunday! Even had a baby tiger on
my lap and bottle fed him! Here's a pic!
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...07242303CfCYtC
I feel so sad that so many of those beautiful tigers are dead :-(
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old November 19th 05, 03:56 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"badwilson" wrote in message
Wow, I was just at that tiger zoo on Sunday! Even had a baby tiger on
my lap and bottle fed him! Here's a pic!
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...07242303CfCYtC

He's gorgeous. Did he ever purr like a house cat?

Old November 19th 05, 04:09 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Upscale wrote:
"badwilson" wrote in message
Wow, I was just at that tiger zoo on Sunday! Even had a baby tiger on
my lap and bottle fed him! Here's a pic!
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...07242303CfCYtC

He's gorgeous. Did he ever purr like a house cat?

Big Cats purr in only one direction (inhale or exhale I can't remember)
Old November 19th 05, 05:12 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Upscale wrote:
"badwilson" wrote in message
Wow, I was just at that tiger zoo on Sunday! Even had a baby tiger
on my lap and bottle fed him! Here's a pic!
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...07242303CfCYtC

He's gorgeous. Did he ever purr like a house cat?

No, but he was making some pretty loud sucking and slurping noises
when drinking from his bottle. And he was sooooo soft and his paws
were absolutely huge :-)

performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM
American Idol guy & Cats PawsForThought Cat health & behaviour 445 December 1st 03 06:47 PM