Can cats not eat pork?

Old September 30th 05, 07:00 AM
Singh

We have a supermarket chain in my area whose store-brand cat food has a ham
variety. However, only Roxie will really go for it; the rest of our cats
prefer the real thing.

Blessed be,
Baha

Ajanta wrote in message
Norm wrote:

: Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?
:
: Mine love it, particularly to gnaw on the bones and it hasn't hurt
: them any way I can see.

Hmmm I wonder why there is no pork in commercially sold cans?

Old September 30th 05, 07:04 AM
Singh

I thought about the religious restriction thing. The store nearby that does
have the ham cat food does not have nearly as high an observant Jewish or
Muslim customer base as its competitor across the road. Coincidence?

Blessed be,
Baha

Ted Davis wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:05:59 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

Quite clearly, cat food seems to be derived not from what cats would
eat but from what humans eat: beef, chicken, turkey, tuna, etc.

However, I also notice a conspicuous absence of one very popular and
common human staple from cat foods: pork.

Why is that? Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

A couple of thoughts.
Laws and regulations regarding the handling of pork and pork scraps
a animal food abound and differ widly from place to place.
Vendors would have to be especially careful which stores got the
pork products and who handled it because of the religious prohibitions
surrounding it - you could not ship it to stores in Jewish or Muslim
areas, nor could it be handled in transit by observant Jews or
Muslims. Mistakes could have serious consequencies.

--
T.E.D. )

Old September 30th 05, 07:07 AM
Singh

You must be referring to Wegman's. We have the ham chow at ours in Buffalo.

Blessed be,
Baha

Mishi wrote in message

"Ajanta" wrote in message
Why is that? Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

Hi Ajanta,
There is a local (to me in central NY) that sells a Ham based cat food in
the 3 oz cans. That is the only ham/pork item that I have ever seen.
Patti

Old September 30th 05, 07:21 AM
No More Retail

I got something worse scrabble it is made of cow's various organs guess
which ones

Old September 30th 05, 07:24 AM
Topaz

"Dr.Carla,DVM" wrote in message
I did some research in Veterinary Journals and Vin.com (a Vet & Vet Tech
website) and here's what I found out.
On the Iams food labels it lists "animal fat" which a pig fat represents a
small amount. (Melody Foess Raasch, D.V.M., Technical Services

Veterinarian,
Consumer Care, The Iams Company).
Purina has documentation on their website that
"While we do incorporate pork as an ingredient in some of our pet food
products, we do not manufacture any dog or cat food products with pork as
one of the primary ingredients. There is no reason from a nutrition
standpoint not to use pork for pet foods. However, market research studies
indicate that there isn't a lot of consumer demand for dog or cat food
products which contain pork as a primary ingredient. Should that

perception
change, we would re-evaluate the use of pork as a primary ingredient in

pet
food products."

Interesting. This certainly speaks to the role of consumer perception in pet
food
formulation. "Demand for dog or cat food products which contain pork as a
primary
ingredient.?" What would fuel that demand if not attractiveness of pork to
the people buying the cat food. Nothing in these comments addresses the
value or lack thereof of pork from a nutritional standpoint. The focus is on
a "public perception" standpoint.

Old September 30th 05, 08:26 AM
jils

what a strange thing to say.

pigs roll in mud, not excrement. this is a behavioural routine to keep cool.

they don't choose to roll in their own excrement. on the contrary, they
are careful to relieve themselves away from their sleeping area.

most dogs like nothing better than a good roll in horse manure. does
that make them filthy animals as well?

all of which has no bearing on why the OP can't find pork in cats' food.

whitershadeofpale wrote:

A pig is a filthy animal

Sure bacon tastes good, and yeah
sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie

but a SWINE is still a filthy animal

I mean, what other animal rolls in its own feces..

Just my thought on it

Old September 30th 05, 08:33 AM
-L.

jils wrote:
what a strange thing to say.

pigs roll in mud, not excrement. this is a behavioural routine to keep cool.

they don't choose to roll in their own excrement. on the contrary, they
are careful to relieve themselves away from their sleeping area.

most dogs like nothing better than a good roll in horse manure. does
that make them filthy animals as well?

I wouldn't go so far as to call a
dog filthy, but they're definitely
dirty. But a dog's got
personality. And personality goes
a long way.

-L.
(My apologies to Quentin Tarantino)

Old September 30th 05, 09:31 AM
Phil P.

"Ajanta" wrote in message
Quite clearly, cat food seems to be derived not from what cats would
eat but from what humans eat: beef, chicken, turkey, tuna, etc.

However, I also notice a conspicuous absence of one very popular and
common human staple from cat foods: pork.

Why is that?

Cost (expensive compared to most pet food protein sources) and probably
religious concerns (e.g., Judaism, Islam) and possibly exaggerated fear of
trichinosis (only if eaten raw or not cooked thoroughly).

Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

Absolutely not. Pork is the primary ingredient in Hill's Prescription Diet
m/d for diabetes management and metabolic weight loss due to its high
protein (14g/100 kcal) and low carbohydrate (0) content. A high protein and
low carbohydrate diet is a *true* carnivorous diet- high protein and
low carbohydrates has been the cat's evolutionary diet for millennia.

Phil

Old September 30th 05, 05:04 PM
alt4

Do we know that pork really is absent from cat food? I mean maybe, just
maybe the companies put pork in as filler (as was said pigs are filthy
animals), but don't say anything? Except the one that's PORK on the label.
Just a thought.

--
"Other than telling us how to live, think,
marry, pray, vote, invest, educate our
"whitershadeofpale" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ajanta wrote:
whitershadeofpale wrote:

: A pig is a filthy animal

My point was, pork is sold for human consumption. Why is it absent from
canned cat food?

Your point has been duly noted and has been taken into consideration;

uuuhiiiii think you're up to something..

JUST say it.

You fed your cat a pork chop now that cat is sleepy as hell and you're
scared

Old September 30th 05, 05:12 PM
alt4

Quite a few of our cats will eat bacon or really any pork that we give them.
We just don't because it isn't that good for us so how good for the cats can
it be? You have to cook it really well. I've had some turkey with bacon
around it, so I gave the cats the bacon, it was pretty dried out anyway.

--
"Other than telling us how to live, think,
marry, pray, vote, invest, educate our
children and now, die, I think the
Republicans have done a fine job of
getting government out of our personal
lives."
wrote in message
oups.com...

-L. wrote:

Pork biproducts by and large go into hot dogs and bologna. They are
too expensive for cat food.

Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

They can and will eat pork. My cats love pork.

-L.

I did read somewhere that pork isn't good for cats. It was on one of
those websites about homemade cat food--I know anybody can say anything
they want to on a website, so I don't know if it's true or not. I wish
I could remember the reason specified.
Boots loves a chunk of cooked bacon anytime she can get it. And being
the picky little thing she is, we let her have just about anything
she'll eat.

Sherry

performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM
American Idol guy & Cats PawsForThought Cat health & behaviour 445 December 1st 03 06:47 PM