Can cats not eat pork?

Old September 30th 05, 10:02 PM
Jo Firey

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"5cats" wrote in message
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Ajanta wrote:

Norm wrote:

: Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?
:
: Mine love it, particularly to gnaw on the bones and it hasn't hurt
: them any way I can see.

Hmmm I wonder why there is no pork in commercially sold cans?

Maybe because they use all the less desireable bits in
canned meat products for humans, instead?

If it were just a matter of cost, you'd think pork would show up in some
of the expensive "gourmet" foods, like Sheba. But I don't recall seeing
pork in those brands either.

This is just a thought. I have read numerous times that "you can eat
everything from a pig except it's grunt." Maybe then, all the pig is used
in human food in one way or another.
I *have* seen dog food with pork in it, though not often. Tesco did a
tin with pork and veggies IIRC. Hmm. Very interesting.

Tweed

I always remember being told growing up that you never give a dog or cat
pork. Almost like an old time superstition. Maybe it was part of the
folklore so pets wouldn't get fed raw or undercooked pork scraps that might
be infected with trichinosis. I was also told you never give them pork
bones because they splinter and can pierce their intestines.

Jo

Old September 30th 05, 10:07 PM
No More Retail

my bad mis spell but you can eat all you like for all of us as soon as I
saw it being made NOPE YOU CAN HAVE IT

FYI anytime you eat peant butter enjoy the roaches

Old September 30th 05, 10:34 PM
Mishi

"Singh" wrote in message
You must be referring to Wegman's. We have the ham chow at ours in Buffalo.

Blessed be,
Baha

Yep! Wegmans it is. I live near Syracuse, and love to shop there.

Patti

Old September 30th 05, 11:32 PM
Christina Websell

(Oscar Meyer, etc.) use some sort of artificial sausage

casing, instead. And "menudo" and "tripe" are well-regarded delicacies in
a lot of cultures. (Not to mention "sweetbreads".)

Hands up who knows what "sweetbreads" are. I do, do you?

Tweed

Old October 1st 05, 12:41 AM

Jo Firey wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

.. .

Ajanta wrote:

Norm wrote:

[...]

I thought that was chicken bones (cooked chicken bones - the
raw ones are no problem). Anyway, that would pertain more
to dogs, wouldn't it? I've never seen a cat gnaw a bone
enough to produce splinters. Dogs, on the other hand.....

Jo

Old October 1st 05, 01:06 AM
Steve Crane

Phil P. wrote:
Cost (expensive compared to most pet food protein sources) and probably
religious concerns (e.g., Judaism, Islam) and possibly exaggerated fear of
trichinosis (only if eaten raw or not cooked thoroughly).

It's not that pork is more or less expensive than other meat meals. The
range in price for meat meals is waaaaay more variable based on the ash
content than on the species from which it is derived.

Pork isn't all that common becasue it isn't all that commonly eaten by
humans. Think about how often you eat beef or chicken or turkey and how
seldom you eat pork. As much as I like a good pork roast, it been
months and months since we had one in this house. Reminds me to talk to
the boss (my wife) about that.

Ironically, pork use in pet foods has increased substantially in foods
shipped outside the US. Manufacturers have been forced to substitute
pork for beef in many foods shipped overseas due to BSE rules enforced
by some countries. At the same time there are a number of Muslim
countries who refuse to admit any pet foods into the country that
contain pork.

Pork is perfectly good protein source for cats and there isn't any
nutritional reason not to use it.

Old October 1st 05, 01:22 AM
Ramboyd

Diane wrote:

In article . com,
"Steve Crane" wrote:

Pork isn't all that common becasue it isn't all that commonly eaten by
humans. Think about how often you eat beef or chicken or turkey and how
seldom you eat pork. As much as I like a good pork roast, it been
months and months since we had one in this house. R

What about ham? Same critter.

What about bacon? Mmmmmmm bacon.

Ramboyd

======

"My Ottawa Includes Corruption"

Old October 1st 05, 01:24 AM
shortfuse

We dont eat that much pork in our house and when we do, our cats are not too
hip on it.

performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM
American Idol guy & Cats PawsForThought Cat health & behaviour 445 December 1st 03 06:47 PM