Can cats not eat pork?

Old October 1st 05, 07:58 PM
Phil P.

"Steve Crane" wrote in message
oups.com...

Phil P. wrote:
"Steve Crane" wrote in message
ups.com...

It's not that pork is more or less expensive than other meat meals.

The
range in price for meat meals is waaaaay more variable based on the

ash
content than on the species from which it is derived.

I wasn't referring to pork meal-- with the water and fat removed. I was
referring pork meat.

I probably didn't make myself clear. The cost difference between a low
ash meal/meat (beef, pork, chicken, turkey, lamb etc) can be +25% more
expensive than the same meal/meat in a high ash content version. That
difference in cost is greater than the difference in cost between two
different specie meat/meals. The specie of meat/meal does not affect
the cost as much as the ash content.

That certainly explains why Porterhouse Steak is about twice the price per
lb. of pork loin even though they have about the same ash content and
protein to ash ratio. Thanks for clearing that up.

http://www.maxshouse.com/Clinical_Nu...RTHS_STEAK.pdf

http://www.maxshouse.com/Clinical_Nu...,CKD,BRSD1.jpg

Old October 2nd 05, 02:29 AM
Ted Davis

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 11:43:28 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Ted Davis wrote:

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 00:10:36 GMT, Diane
wrote:

In article . com,
"Steve Crane" wrote:

Pork isn't all that common becasue it isn't all that commonly eaten by
humans. Think about how often you eat beef or chicken or turkey and how
seldom you eat pork. As much as I like a good pork roast, it been
months and months since we had one in this house. R

What about ham? Same critter.

Read the list of ingredients on a ham package sometime. On second
thought, if you like ham, you might not want to read the ingredients
list.

You're assuming he buys processed ham - as do most of us,
nowadays. The genuine article (which must usually be boiled
before roasting) takes much longer to prepare, and is not so
readily available, but a genuinely "cured" ham contains no
additive but salt (and smoke, if you count the curing process).

I am well aware of real hams - they were still readily obtainable when
I was growing up half a century ago. Salt, pepper, and carcinogenic
smoke ... some also used sugar and I have heard the maple something
was used in some places. They taste good when properly prepared, but
are hardly safer than the synthetic modern ones that I was assuming
most readers would encounter. The "country" ham I can readily obtain
locally is from California (half a continent away) and is "cured with
salt, brown sugar, sodium nitrate, black pepper, sodium nitrite"; and
it's labeled to imply, but not say, that it is hickory smoked. I give
the most ham fanatic of my cats only tiny tastes.

Then there is bacon.

--
T.E.D. )
Old October 2nd 05, 06:13 AM
Singh

Another upstate girl!!! Well hush my mouth and cover me in extra-hot
wing-sauce!

Blessed be!
Baha

Mishi wrote in message
news

"Singh" wrote in message
You must be referring to Wegman's. We have the ham chow at ours in

Buffalo.

Blessed be,
Baha

Yep! Wegmans it is. I live near Syracuse, and love to shop there.

Patti

Old October 2nd 05, 01:27 PM
Joe Canuck

Ajanta wrote:

Quite clearly, cat food seems to be derived not from what cats would
eat but from what humans eat: beef, chicken, turkey, tuna, etc.

However, I also notice a conspicuous absence of one very popular and
common human staple from cat foods: pork.

Why is that? Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

Cats can only eat pork if they can catch it...

http://www.bigtex.com/newsroom/stori...acingpigs.html

I'm rooting for Porky.
Old October 2nd 05, 07:53 PM
Kate

One of our cats have just been Diagnosed with Diabetes,
and the only thing that takes her mind of the twice daily injections of
Insulin
Is a few chunks of Pork! Her eyes light up with the sight of it, taking her
attention
away from the needle in my other hand!

Kate
"Observer" same@ Iknow.com wrote in message

"Ajanta" wrote in message

: Boots loves a chunk of cooked bacon anytime she can get it. And being
: the picky little thing she is, we let her have just about anything
: she'll eat.

Hi Sherry, I am sure occasional bits don't matter but isn't there too
much other non-meat junk in bacon? Salt for one thing, and many other
chemicals.

Cats can eat pork. Some like it and some don't. But pork just does not
mean bacon. Their digestive systems are equipped to handle scrap meat
(mice, birds, lizards, etc.); so why not pork? I would not recommend a
steady diet of it because food intended for humans does not have the
required amount of taurine in it that cats mush have for healthy cardio.
That goes for tuna (and any meat) that is intended for human consumption
also.

But if your cat likes a bit of bacon or niblets off the pork chops, it's
okay. Just make sure it's just a treat and not a regular staple.

--The Observer

Old October 3rd 05, 12:38 AM
Enfilade

Why is that? Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

Smokey poke would live on ham if we let him (which of course we don't)
so he has to content himself with a bite of a ham sandwich from time to
time.

--Fil

Old October 3rd 05, 03:42 PM
Lamey The Cable Guy

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

No More Retail wrote:
You know we need our pickled pigs feet
I think I am going to be sick

LOL...I have never understood some tastes.

-L.

That's because you have no taste.

Old October 4th 05, 06:47 PM
Lumpy

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Ajanta wrote:

Quite clearly, cat food seems to be derived not from what cats would
eat but from what humans eat: beef, chicken, turkey, tuna, etc.

However, I also notice a conspicuous absence of one very popular and
common human staple from cat foods: pork.

Why is that? Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

Cats can only eat pork if they can catch it...

http://www.bigtex.com/newsroom/stori...acingpigs.html

I'm rooting for Porky.

lol! I love the looks on their faces.

Old October 7th 05, 04:56 AM
badwilson

Phil P. wrote:

Manufacturing pork-based pet food would not be cost effective

because
of reduced popularity. Pet food manufacturers produce large
varieties of types of food and flavors based on anthropomorphic
appeal. People like and dislike specific flavors and different
flavors and they assume their cats do too. Pet food manufacturers
generally produce pet foods that appeal the most to humans. For
whatever reason (religion, superstition, misinformation, myth) pork
just isn't as popular as beef, turkey, chicken, and the other
flavors. Sales relate directly to the amount of shelf space the
products occupy- pork-based foods would take up shelf space that
could be used for a more popular food.

Perhaps calling a pet food flavour "ham" instead of "pork" would make
it more appealing to the consumer? Pork sounds kind of crude, but
most people like ham.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old October 7th 05, 05:05 AM
badwilson

Steve Crane wrote:

Pork isn't all that common becasue it isn't all that commonly eaten

by
humans. Think about how often you eat beef or chicken or turkey and
how seldom you eat pork. As much as I like a good pork roast, it

been
months and months since we had one in this house. Reminds me to talk
to the boss (my wife) about that.

Certainly not here in Thailand! I think pork is just about the most
favoured meat out there. They love pork and it's in everything.
Which is so funny because I just returned from a trip to Malaysia,
just 1 country to the south. They're muslim there and pork is
virtually nowhere. McDonald's has signs everywhere stating that they
are strictly halal, most food stalls have signs saying "Strictly no
pork!", etc.
Dennis and I went to Tesco looking to buy some food and wine and
wandered around the whole store not being able to find any liquor.
Passed by the deli and they didn't have any pork. Finally, we came to
the furthest corner of the store and there was a sign saying
"Non-halal section" and they had liquor there and another little deli
that had only pork products. Dennis and I made jokes saying that we
are now entering the "Sinner's section" ;-)

Ironically, pork use in pet foods has increased substantially in

foods
shipped outside the US. Manufacturers have been forced to substitute
pork for beef in many foods shipped overseas due to BSE rules

enforced
by some countries. At the same time there are a number of Muslim
countries who refuse to admit any pet foods into the country that
contain pork.

I have never seen pork in pet foods in Thailand, where it's eaten
abundantly by humans. But then again, they only sell Whiskas and
Friskies here and I don't use those. I import my own cat food from
Canada or Australia when we go there on trips.

Pork is perfectly good protein source for cats and there isn't any
nutritional reason not to use it.

Vino loves ham and we always give him scraps.

performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM
American Idol guy & Cats PawsForThought Cat health & behaviour 445 December 1st 03 06:47 PM