Help--Am I at Risk for Rabies?

Old March 16th 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Help--Am I at Risk for Rabies?

22brix wrote:

For a vaccinated cat it's a shorter quarantine--about 10 days and depending
on the regulations for the area sometimes they will let you quarantine the
animal at home. In an unvaccinated cat it is about 6 months. Unfortunately
for unvaccinated cats, the choice, if there is one, is a 6 month incubation
or more often, euthanasia so the animal can be tested for rabies.

I volunteered at a shelter 5 or 6 years ago, socializing cats. If a cat
were to bite a person, the cat would be quarantined for 10 days. Most likely
any cat that I was working with would have been vaccinated, because I worked
in the adoptable cats room. However, it's still possible that if a cat had
rabies, it might have been exposed before it was turned into the shelter and
vaccinated. There wouldn't be any way for the shelter to know this until
the cat started showing symptoms. In any case, it was always a 10-day
quarantine - I don't ever remember hearing about a 6-month quarantine.

This is in Northern California - SF Bay Area.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old March 16th 09, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
22brix

wrote in message
22brix wrote:

[...]

Hi Joyce,

I'm also in Northern California. I checked on the CDC website and you are
right, it is ten days. I was thinking of quarantine requirements for
taking cats and dogs to some rabies free countries. Rabies shows up
relatively quickly in cats (several days) as opposed to weeks or months or
even longer in people. Many people still have their pets euthanized instead
of quarantine--it's really quite sad.

Bonnie

Old March 16th 09, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Mar 15, 9:42*pm, "22brix" wrote:
wrote in message

22brix wrote:

[...]

Whew, so you're saying even in an unvaccinated cat, 10 days is the
observation period? Because that is what the AZDHS Manual for Rabies
Control states, even for an unvaccinated animal--which means 9 days
from now, if Ebony is doing fine, my little ordeal is over!!!! I just
have to hope he doesn't wander off. I think I'll nab him this week
for his neutering--that was my plan all along--for him to go this
week.

From the manual:
"Any dog or cat (vaccinated or unvaccinated) that bites a person must
be confined/observed for a 10 days. If symptoms of rabies develop or
the animal dies during the observation period, the animal should be
tested for rabies. A veterinarian should evaluate the animal at the
first sign of illness. NOTE: Appropriate quarantine times have been
established for dog, cats, and ferrets. However, other animals (except
livestock and rodents) that expose humans to potential rabies
infections may need to be tested for rabies to determine if post-
exposure treatment for the victim iswarranted. Observe the animal
while under quarantine for signs of rabies. a) If the animal does not
die or develop clinical signs of rabies infection during thequarantine
period, the dog/cat did not have rabies virus in its saliva at the
time of theexposure, and there is no further risk to the person. The
person should not receive post-exposure treatment. b) If an animal
develops signs of rabies infection while under quarantine, humanely
euthanize the animal and submit the head for testing. c) If an animal
dies during the 10-day quarantine, submit the head for rabies testing.
d) If the animal tests positive for rabies infection, start post-
exposure prophylaxis for theexposed person(s) immediately and notify
animal control or health department officials. Observe the animal for
10 days. The quarantine period starts on the day of the bite
orexposure. a) If the dog or cat is currently vaccinated against
rabies, a home quarantine is permitted at the discretion of the animal
control official. Owners should be given clear instructions including
the clinical signs of rabies to be reported. b) If the animal is not
currently vaccinated or has an unknown vaccination status, the
quarantine may be done in an animal control facility or veterinary
clinic."

I have to say, when I called Maricopa County Animal Care and Control
Saturday morning after this incident, they had zero interest in coming
and getting the cat so I don't think anyone else will either. All
they said was I could bring it in if I wanted.

Candace
Old March 16th 09, 05:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Mar 15, 8:35*am, "Christine Burel" wrote:
Candace,
I live in Albuquerque as you know and unfortunately, Animal Control here
gets involved everytime there's a cat bite report and the urgent care people
make you fill one out before you can get treated. *If Animal Control here
finds out that a cat has bitten you and it is not vaccinated the cat has to
be caught and quarantined for 10 days at one of their approved facilities..
So to be honest, I'd be worried they'd do that to Ebony. *It's what happened
to Tucker when I "met" him and got royally bitten; luckily, Animal Control
let me quarantine him at my vets for 10 days.

I can't help but think that your Animal Control people are going to go after
Ebony rather than worry about the hamster as it was Ebony who bit you and if
Ebony is not vaccinated they will consider her bite an exposure - you might
want to check into the incidence of rabies among local cat populations are
in your area by talking to some of the cat rescue groups. *Here the
incidence of rabies in cats is almost nonexistent.

Christine

Christine, when I called Animal Care and Control on Saturday, they had
zero, zip interest in coming out and getting Ebony. All they said was
I could bring the cat in if I wanted but they didn't ask for my name,
address, anything.

I've been reading and rabies in cats in our county is very,very low--
virtually non-existent and further there has never been a case of
rabies reported in rodents in AZ. So I guess I technically have
nothing to worry about. Too bad I'm still worrying But in 9 more
days, when Ebony still is fine, I guess it will be over. But I'm
pretty sure that Animal Control won't care and I have so many cats in
my neighborhood that even if someone did all of a sudden care, they
could never pinpoint which cat it was and I really doubt they're going
to round up all these cats, some of whom have homes. I would
certainly pay for the quarantine for 10 days anyway, if I had to
rather than euthanize him.

But, no, the doctor at Urgent Care didn't make me fill out anything
and several years ago, when I went to the Emergency Room for another
cat bite, no one took a report or seemed unduly concerned. I guess AZ
is lax on these matters.

Candace

Old March 16th 09, 05:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"22brix" wrote in message
icinternet...

wrote in message
22brix wrote:

[...]

We had a rabies problem in Marysville, CA several years ago. There
are a lot of bats near the rivers, and an exceptionally large skunk
population in Marysville which is surrounded by rivers. Bats can
carry rabies without showing ill effect, I believe. So can skunks.
(not sure on skunks, I've heard to stay away from one that is out in
daylight)

Marysville also has a fairly large feral cat population. Same reason
as all the skunks. Predators don't come into town because of the
rivers. Lots of dumpsters full of food.

When the rabies from the skunks and bats spread to some of the local
cats, it got pretty ugly pretty fast. A lot of those feral cats
'belonged' to various businesses. Many of those cats were lucky as
they were able to catch them and the employees would pick up the kitty
jail fees. The rest of the cats were trapped and euthanized. All the
places available for quarantine were filled of with peoples own cats
who had been outdoor cats and never had the shot.

That makes me nervous for your situation. I'd hate to see someone in
public health get the idea that the feral cats have become a rabies
risk, and start means to eliminate them.

Jo

Old March 16th 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Mar 16, 12:27*am, wrote:
[...]

Candace- Hide quoted text -

Candace, that's the way it is at our shelter. 10 days quarantine at
the vet's office, for both
dogs and cats.
I got curious about rodent risk and googled Okla's regulations -- and
I was surprised to read
that "If the bite is a rodent bite, no further action is required." I
think it went on to say that
there has been zero cases in the US of rabies transmitted by rodents.
Interesting, huh?
And they really freak out about rabies here, too. I think our biggest
carriers are skunks.
Keep us posted! Wishing you (and Ebony) the best...
Sherry
Old March 16th 09, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Jofirey" wrote in message

We had a rabies problem in Marysville, CA several years ago. There are a
lot of bats near the rivers, and an exceptionally large skunk population
in Marysville which is surrounded by rivers. Bats can carry rabies
without showing ill effect, I believe. So can skunks. (not sure on
skunks, I've heard to stay away from one that is out in daylight)

Jo

I think I would want to stay away from a skunk that is out at *any* time of
day! BG

MaryL

Old March 17th 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

This morning, I noticed Ebony, one of the sweet outdoor cats playing
with something in the yard. I went out and he had some sort of rodent
(I'm not a rodent expert) that he was batting around that wasn't
dead. My natural instinct was to get him away from it so I grabbed
him and tossed him into a small room briefly--big mistake as his
formerly feral ways returned and he bit the beejesus out of my
thumb. [...]
I got myself into a tizzy worrying that this critter might have been
exposed to rabies, Ebony chewed on the hamster, and then a few minutes
later Ebony passed it onto me.

You've got no earthly reason to suppose the hamster had rabies.

Some antiseptic treatment of the cat bite might be an idea, but
very few cat bites get infected. If it does, it will need
antibiotics, and quickly, but such infections are RARE. (I've
only personally encountered one case of a spreading infection
from a cat bite or scratch, and I've known a hell of a lot of
scratched or bitten people).

By far the most serious medical condition you've mentioned is
your own hypochondriacal anxiety. That can be a symptom of any
of several very serious forms of mental illness ranging from
clinical depression (been there, done that) to OCD or paranoid
schizophrenia. Most of them are treatable. Get THAT looked at.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old March 17th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

By far the most serious medical condition you've mentioned is
your own hypochondriacal anxiety. That can be a symptom of any
of several very serious forms of mental illness ranging from
clinical depression (been there, done that) to OCD or paranoid
schizophrenia. Most of them are treatable. Get THAT looked at.

Jack, that sounds like a bit of "hypochondria by proxy". Schizophrenia??
Sure, some schizophrenics suffer from hypochondria, if that happens to
be their obsession. But you know that slogan, "When you hear hoofbeats,
think horses, not zebras"? Go for the more common, less complicated
idea first. People can just have a simple anxiety disorder. Not to
downplay the misery of suffering from it when you have it (as you say,
been there, done that), but it's not a complicated mental illness.
Decent therapy (cognitive therapy often helps a lot with anxieties
and phobias) and possibly medication can help a lot. Ditto on
depression, and even OCD, none of which are really discrete conditions,
but in fact, have lots of overlap.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old March 18th 09, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Mar 17, 5:46*am, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

By far the most serious medical condition you've mentioned is
your own hypochondriacal anxiety. *That can be a symptom of any
of several very serious forms of mental illness ranging from
clinical depression (been there, done that) to OCD or paranoid
schizophrenia. *Most of them are treatable. *Get THAT looked at.

==== j a c k *at *c a m p i n . m e . u k *=== *http://www.campin.me.uk ====
CD-ROMs and free stuff: *Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts

Well, at least you made me laugh. I don't think I'm mentally ill,
actually. I've always been pretty level-headed and down-to-earth and
realistic about my own sanity. I am a worrier and I get temporarily
obsessed by things but then it passes. I'm just about over this
particular one. Ebony was neutered today and I was going to leave him
at the vet for a few more days but the state epidemiology department
thinks it unnecessary so I'll probably get him out in a day or 2. They
said there's essentially zero chance the hamster had rabies and zero
chance, that if it did, it passed it on to Ebony who could then pass
it on to me so quickly. They did mention we have rabid bats around so
I temporarily worried about that for awhile. Who would ever know if
an outdoor cat got a bat? No one. And don't tell me to keep them
inside--these are stray/feral cats I'm feeding and getting neutered--
they can't all live inside with me. Today was the third in a week,
all at my own personal cost. I hope to get another later this week, a
pregnant female, and then I'm taking a break for a week or 2 before I
start up again. This makes me crazy!!!!!!!!! But not to the point
where I need treatment--to the point where I need a break so I can
deal with all the other **** in my life like work, finances,
relationships, my own little kitties, all that crap we all have to
attend to.

And to those who were worried that some agency would want to snatch
Ebony and euthanize him--well, lucky for him, but not one agency I
spoke to was at all concerned about him or his risk to humans or even
the fact that I said I had several cats who are not yet vaccinated. I
guess that could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you
look at it. And the state would not test the hamster, even if I paid
for it myself. So, end of that sad story.

My bite marks are almost gone. I never did take the abx. The fear of
having the severe trots outweighed the fear of infection and I watched
it closely.

Oh, and the state said no one responsible would give me rabies shots
based on this incident and the prophylactic rabies shots are $900, not
covered by insurance so guess I won't be getting those either.

Thanks everyone and thanks for the shrink recommendation, Jack.

Candace