Moving the litterbox

Old February 26th 04, 09:49 PM
dgk

Default Moving the litterbox

Right now the litterbox (one for two cats, yes, I know but it works)
sits in my tub. It's been there for 8 years so I know it works.
However, I've decided I could really use the tub. The bathroom, fairly
small, has a separate stall shower which, I should point out, is used
frequently. I'm thinking bathroom renovation time.

The plan: Replace tub with jacuzzi sort of thing. Regular size bathtub
but with those nice jets. Rip down stall shower and old sink. Perhaps
move toilet a foot or two to free up more space. Build nice cabinet
where stall shower was with a nice, bigger, attractive sink so mate
stops whining about it.

The bottom of this cabinet will feature a nice recessed hole where the
litterbox will be located, with a quiet fan and filter to trap the
dust which now gets all over the place no matter how carefully I scoop
and fill. Also, a place for cat food and the water fountain. Neatly
out of sight.

I realize that ripping out a stall shower tends to lower the selling
price a bit but I'm not planning on selling any time soon. I have to
live here. Plus, a well thought out litterbox solution should please
potential buyers of discriminating taste.

So the question is, will the cats like a litterbox tucked in the
bottom of a cabinet? They do seem to like cave sorts of hide holes so
I think this should go over big. Does anyone see anything wrong from
either the feline or human perspective? Or any suggestions to make it
better?
Old February 27th 04, 02:14 AM
Mary

I realize that ripping out a stall shower tends to lower the selling
price a bit but I'm not planning on selling any time soon.

Actually just pop a hole through the wall from the shower stall to the tub and
you will have a shower/tub, an addition in value, costs very little. Then
you're free to use the old shower stall area.

So the question is, will the cats like a litterbox tucked in the
bottom of a cabinet? They do seem to like cave sorts of hide holes so
I think this should go over big. Does anyone see anything wrong from
either the feline or human perspective? Or any suggestions to make it
better?

Sounds good to me. Use a regular cabinet and just pop a hole in the door. This
way if you sell your home, just put on a new door if they don't want your
addition.

Old February 27th 04, 02:36 AM
Annie Wxill

"dgk" wrote in message
.... So the question is, will the cats like a litterbox tucked in the
bottom of a cabinet? They do seem to like cave sorts of hide holes so
I think this should go over big.

dkg.
We have a litter box tucked into the bottom of our bathroom cabinet. Both
cats use it. Your mileage may vary.
Annie

Old February 27th 04, 05:41 AM
Cheryl

dgk dumped this in
on 26 Feb 2004:

Plus, a well thought out litterbox solution should please
potential buyers of discriminating taste.

I think it's a great idea. You can always market the cat lover audience if
you need to sell. If it doesn't yield hits, modify the door back (and
cabinet bottom?) like someone else said. Can't do much about the shower,
though.

Old February 27th 04, 03:32 PM
whayface

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:49:41 -0500, dgk wrote:

I realize that ripping out a stall shower tends to lower the selling
price a bit but I'm not planning on selling any time soon. I have to
live here. Plus, a well thought out litterbox solution should please
potential buyers of discriminating taste.

So the question is, will the cats like a litterbox tucked in the
bottom of a cabinet? They do seem to like cave sorts of hide holes so
I think this should go over big. Does anyone see anything wrong from
either the feline or human perspective? Or any suggestions to make it
better?

What are chances of leaving it open for a while until they get used to it being moved and
in the new location then closing it in??