Foreclosure of Oregon Cat Sanctuary, 14 Cats Homeless

Old March 29th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nanny[_5_]

Default Foreclosure of Oregon Cat Sanctuary, 14 Cats Homeless

Someone saw this on a news site. Is anybody here in Oregon?
Some of the cats are handicapped and there are only 14 of them altogether.
If you belong to other cat groups, maybe you know somebody near there who
could take in one or two cats from this place.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/arti...PDATE/90329001

Nanny

Old March 29th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Nanny wrote:
Someone saw this on a news site. Is anybody here in Oregon?
Some of the cats are handicapped and there are only 14 of them
altogether. If you belong to other cat groups, maybe you know
somebody near there who could take in one or two cats from this place.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/arti...PDATE/90329001

Nanny

A very sad story which is becoming increasingly common. :-(
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old March 29th 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 29, 9:52*am, "Adrian" wrote:

A very sad story which is becoming increasingly common. :-(

It's the same over here- this was in the papers a few days ago

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...et-horses.html

and a Google search "Credit crunch dumped pets UK" had articles going
back to May last year. My local cat shelter recently sent an appeal
because they've had more cats handed in/dumped so far this year than
all of last year and my step neice who works for Battersea says they
are seeing a big increase in owner surrenders many of whom aren't the
usual callous dumpings you know "Doesn't match the furniture"/"Got too
big"/ "We got a puppy and they don't get on" but rather people who are
being evicted because they've lost their jobs and have handed beloved
pets in because in a week or so they won't know where they will be
living or people who can barely feed themselves- she says you can tell
when they turn up with a cat, an armful of toys and food, instructions
"She's an only cat" "Please don't rehome him where there are kids- he
doesn't like them" etc and the officer taking them in has to hand out
tissues she thinks where people still have a roof over their head
there should be some sort of scheme to give them cat food

I couldn't do it myself through I have come close. In 1993, me and
Dave worked for the same company and got thrown out because of a
management war, we then got told we could live on less than 20 pounds
a week of benefit while this got sorted out (and it took 3 months) at
first we had a little bit of cash in the bank then that ran out I got
8 days work from an agency and had to walk 3 miles each way because I
didn't even have bus fare, wore a long skirt because I had 1 pair of
tights which were badly laddered and to buy another pair would have
broken the bank. In those 8 days the only time I had lunch was when a
friend brought it and Mick (RB) took to "cleaning out the cupboards- I
am sure you can use this" (Bless him! As I said before no-one with a
cat has some cans of Felix in the back of cupboard they can't use). At
one point we lived on mashed potatoes and beans as a treat and I
finally swallowed my pride and asked my family for help and they did
and I scraped a few more jobs and somehow we fed the cats and both
prayed they wouldn't need a vet because that would have been it

The day when it was finally agreed we should have had more benefits
and we both got backdated money was so bittersweet. First of all, we
stashed some of it for any feline emergencies, then we had a nice meal/
brought litter/food and then I meant to call my dad who seemed to
think it was my fault we lost our jobs and I wanted to call him to say
"The dole just agreed we were both unfairly dismissed" but I figured I
would call him in a few days in the meantime I had an electric bill to
pay etc. I met Mick that evening and was able to say "Let me buy you
a drink- for the last 10 weeks you've paid for everything" (He
insisted just because I couldn't stand a round that he still wanted to
see me and Dave amd sometimes after a week stuck indoors we needed to
get out)

A few hours later when I finally had some breathing space and was
sitting back relaxed, my brother turned up in a taxi to tell me that I
had better get in it as my dad has just died....

I couln't have done it for much longer and I really fear for people in
the same boat now

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old March 29th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Adrian" wrote in
om:

Nanny wrote:
Someone saw this on a news site. Is anybody here in Oregon?
Some of the cats are handicapped and there are only 14 of them
altogether. If you belong to other cat groups, maybe you know
somebody near there who could take in one or two cats from this place.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/arti...PDATE/90329001

Nanny

A very sad story which is becoming increasingly common. :-(

Well, I have sympathy for the animals but not the owner. Refinanced THREE
times?! I am not too thrilled about the child support comment either. If
you are lucky enough to have the non custodial parent pay child support and
further lucky enough that what they send is more than the child is "using"
the money should be put in a bank account for the child not spent by the
custodial parent to support themselves or even their animal charges.

Old March 30th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Mar 29, 9:45*am, "Nanny" wrote:
Someone saw this on a news site. *Is anybody here in Oregon?
Some of the cats are handicapped and there are only 14 of them altogether..
If you belong to other cat groups, maybe you know somebody near there who
could take in one or two cats from this place.

*http://www.statesmanjournal.com/arti...PDATE/90329001

Nanny

This makes me so sad--all these nonprofits who worked so hard and now
there is nothing left for them, no one can afford to give them
donations anymore. It explains why I have umpteen outdoor cats now--
but I will take care of them as best I can as long as I can. Not an
ideal life, but a life and not a bad one at that.

Too, too sad. I hope the world turns around soon.

Candace