Is my cat sick?

Old October 24th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dan M

Default Is my cat sick?

trimming all but 2 groups

Keep on the lookout for tapeworm segments. The cat could get a tapeworm
if it ingests rodents or fleas. I had a cat years ago who used to throw
up whenever she had a tapeworm. In her case that was the only noticeable
symptom as her fecal exam came back negative. She had to barf up a worm
before the vet would prescribe Drontal for her.

I was going to suggest that too.

Welshdog, I'll also second Gandalf's other suggestion. Do you have access
to another vet, or is there only the one in your area? From your previous
experiences I'd guess that he's maybe not your best choice. I know out
here we're very fortunate - we live in farm country but we have two vets
within a reasonable distance who do only small animals. Can be hard to
find anything other than a large-animal vet in some parts of the US and
Canada, and I would likewise imagine in the UK and Oz.

Dan
Old October 24th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Dan M" wrote in message

[...]

Most reasonably sized towns here in Oz have at least one vet that will do
"pet" rather than "stock" animals. Depends where Welshdog is, really.

Its funny, where I used to live years ago had a vet I really didn't like,
but my friend couldn't sing their praises highly enough. Where I live now, I
am very happy with the veterinary service (and particularly their crate-side
manner) but the very same friend thought they were morons and wouldn't go
near them.

I guess all it takes is one bad experience to sour you on a veterinary
service, even if overall they are great vets who just happened to make a
mistake and/or have a bad day with you.

Yowie
(to RPCA only)
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old October 25th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Welsh Dog

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 07:56:34 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:
"Dan M" wrote in message

trimming all but 2 groups

I just posted to all the cat groups I could find

snip

I was going to suggest that too.

Welshdog, I'll also second Gandalf's other suggestion. Do you have
access to another vet, or is there only the one in your area? From
your previous experiences I'd guess that he's maybe not your best
choice. I know out here we're very fortunate - we live in farm
country but we have two vets within a reasonable distance who do only
small animals. Can be hard to find anything other than a large-animal
vet in some parts of the US and Canada, and I would likewise imagine
in the UK and Oz.

We have a lot of vets around the area but this one is closest... name
is Lewis Buckingham... nice guy

Most reasonably sized towns here in Oz have at least one vet that will do
"pet" rather than "stock" animals. Depends where Welshdog is, really.

Near Windsor, NSW...!!

Its funny, where I used to live years ago had a vet I really didn't like,
but my friend couldn't sing their praises highly enough. Where I live now, I
am very happy with the veterinary service (and particularly their crate-side
manner) but the very same friend thought they were morons and wouldn't go
near them.

I guess all it takes is one bad experience to sour you on a veterinary
service, even if overall they are great vets who just happened to make a
mistake and/or have a bad day with you.

Lewis is great with the dogs... no problems viz a viz care usually,
make it's just that the cat doesn't like him!

Welshdog
--

News and views... for people like youse!!

Australian Opinion
(http://australianopinion.com)

Not as strange as it looks!
Old October 25th 08, 10:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote:
"Dan M" wrote in message

[...]

Just down the road in (a suburb of) Wollongong, here :-)

Its funny, where I used to live years ago had a vet I really didn't
like, but my friend couldn't sing their praises highly enough. Where
I live now, I am very happy with the veterinary service (and
particularly their crate-side manner) but the very same friend
thought they were morons and wouldn't go near them.

I guess all it takes is one bad experience to sour you on a
veterinary service, even if overall they are great vets who just
happened to make a mistake and/or have a bad day with you.

Lewis is great with the dogs... no problems viz a viz care usually,
make it's just that the cat doesn't like him!

Most cats take objection to being poked and prodded by strangers :-)

Did you try the putting marbles into the dry food? If the vomiting is simply
due to eating too fast, then its a quick & easy solution.

Welcome to RPCA... please tell us more about your cat.

Yowie

Old October 26th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Welsh Dog

wrote:
"Dan M" wrote in message

trimming all but 2 groups

I just posted to all the cat groups I could find

snip

Most reasonably sized towns here in Oz have at least one vet that
will do "pet" rather than "stock" animals. Depends where Welshdog
is, really.

Near Windsor, NSW...!!

Just down the road in (a suburb of) Wollongong, here :-)

Rofl... in Australian terms it *is* down the road! Eh??

I once had an 'aged Aunt' come over here from the UK who decided she
wanted to visit friends in Perth. So without asking me she rang the
local rail station and asked what time the trains left etc... left
from Central ok... What station do I get out at... errr... Perth...
all sounded good to her.

At 86, she was all set to 'go over for afternoon tea' when I pointed
out to her *on a map* just how far it was.

She *still* didn't get it until I explained it had taken us a half day
to get up to the Blue Mountains and they were almost on the far right
edge of the map we were holding... and Perth was on the far left...
some two feet away.

It finally dawned on her then just how far she was expecting to go for
'afternoon tea' on the quick trip by train.

The British have no conception at all how far apart things are here!!

I've told people in Wales we drive to Canberra and/Wollongong for a
day trip and they say ok... then I ask them how often they'd drive
from South Wales to Edinburgh for a day out and again they get the
picture just how far apart things are.

I had a friend once who drove to Alice and back over a weekend to go
to a wedding. I tell people stuff like that and they think I'm having
them on!

snip

Lewis is great with the dogs... no problems viz a viz care usually,
make it's just that the cat doesn't like him!

Most cats take objection to being poked and prodded by strangers :-)

This one takes exception to being picked up by *anyone* except the
daughter... let alone poked and prodded.

Seriously it's only my 12 year old daughter who is allowed to handle
her or carry her about for a pet and/or a cuddle... she even sleeps on
her bed all day (the cat on the daughters bed... not the other way
round).!

She comes near me *only* to tell me she wants feeding or to be let
out... otherwise she keeps well away from any and everyone!

Did you try the putting marbles into the dry food? If the vomiting is simply
due to eating too fast, then its a quick & easy solution.

Yeah... back to the cat! It's not a daily occurrence (as far as I can
tell with a cat that lives as much outside as inside)... just a now
and again thing that seems to go on for a day or three... then stop
for a couple of weeks. If it was a daily occurrence I'd be down the
vets quick smart of course... !

Welcome to RPCA... please tell us more about your cat.

Thanks. I wouldn't honestly say I'm a 'cat person'... I love dogs...
we have two as well as the cat... but my 'ambition' is to have a pair
of Siamese cats which I figure are *the most beautiful cats of all...
but the wife isn't quite as welcoming to them. Figures they're too
autocratic for her

The cat, who was originally going to be called Casper... became Cassie
when the girls realized she was also a girl... and became 'puss-puss'
because that's what *she* decided to answer to... is a tiny thing,
mostly black with white paws, a white blaze on her chest and a white
muzzle.

Pretty... but so independent!

Welshdog

Old October 27th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote:
"Dan M" wrote in message

[...]

I am an ex-brit. My family emmigrated when I was four (35 years ago).
They've gotten used to the distances now, but for a long time they couldn't
possibly understand why *anyone* would go to Nowra (from Wollongong) for a
'day trip'

I've told people in Wales we drive to Canberra and/Wollongong for a
day trip and they say ok... then I ask them how often they'd drive
from South Wales to Edinburgh for a day out and again they get the
picture just how far apart things are.

I had a friend once who drove to Alice and back over a weekend to go
to a wedding. I tell people stuff like that and they think I'm having
them on!

I dunno whether us Aussies, the Americans or the Canadians do the most
driving or have the longest sense of 'its a long way', but I still remember
having to wear our 'Sunday Best' to go into London, and it was only an hour
away! Nowdays, thats just commuting time :-)

snip

Lewis is great with the dogs... no problems viz a viz care usually,
make it's just that the cat doesn't like him!

Most cats take objection to being poked and prodded by strangers :-)

This one takes exception to being picked up by *anyone* except the
daughter... let alone poked and prodded.

Seriously it's only my 12 year old daughter who is allowed to handle
her or carry her about for a pet and/or a cuddle... she even sleeps on
her bed all day (the cat on the daughters bed... not the other way
round).!

She comes near me *only* to tell me she wants feeding or to be let
out... otherwise she keeps well away from any and everyone!

Ah, there's your solution. Take 12 yr old daughter with you and cat to vets.
You're only there to pay for the services, 12 yr old daughter & cat will do
the rest :-)

[...]

I have an ex-Casper. When I adopted Pickle, his previous owner had named him
Casper because he was all white. Casper is just such a *typical* name for a
white cat, and my 4 year old son had quickly decided that a) his name was
Pickle and b) Pickle was *his* cat. This was helped by the fact that Pickle
decided that my 4 yo son was his one and only two-legs. My son love son that
cat in the very special way 4 year old boys can, and not a whisper of a
complaint, nor struggle, bite or scratch does that cat make against The
Yowlet (my son), but he won't even let me pick him up without complaining
loudly. Pickle is also by far the smartest of my three 100% white cats. Suki
is Pickle's brother, and is a long hairded white woth blue eyes, and
Shadowcat is a 100% white persian cross with a mean temprement. I think Suki
is just 'a bit slow on the uptake' but suspect that Shadowcat is probably
braindamaged via abuse. She is getting better about me handling her, but has
yet to accept that she's sharing a house with two other cats. Sensibly, she
just runs back into her cupboard if she sees Cary (The Yowlet, my son)
coming.

Yowie
--
"because its more fun to be evil" - Jarppi, _The Dudesons_