A wonderful thing happened today....

Old November 20th 10, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Will in New Haven

Default A wonderful thing happened today....

On Nov 20, 1:51*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"ingold1234(Gandalf)" wrote

I just don't know anybody I could ask.

2 days ago, a neighbor came over and just knocked on the door. *'Could you
help me get a 35lb turkey into the house'? *Sure. *She's disabled too so
Charlotte went over and got it to her freezer for her. *These are new folks
we'd not met yet but we happy to help.

I would have helped her also but I'm laughing from imagining what
would happen if she had asked Bear (our dog)

--
Will in New Haven
Old November 20th 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

"Will in New Haven" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Charlotte went over and got it to her freezer for her. These are new
folks
we'd not met yet but we happy to help.

I would have helped her also but I'm laughing from imagining what
would happen if she had asked Bear (our dog)

LOL! 'Chomp, problem solved' eh?

Old November 21st 10, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
MLB[_2_]

Will in New Haven wrote:
On Nov 20, 1:51 pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"ingold1234(Gandalf)" wrote

I just don't know anybody I could ask.

2 days ago, a neighbor came over and just knocked on the door. 'Could you
help me get a 35lb turkey into the house'? Sure. She's disabled too so
Charlotte went over and got it to her freezer for her. These are new folks
we'd not met yet but we happy to help.

I would have helped her also but I'm laughing from imagining what
would happen if she had asked Bear (our dog)

--
Will in New Haven

If she couldn't get it in the house, how will she get it from the fridge
to the oven and out while hot? Just wondering! MLB
Old November 21st 10, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Gandalf[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 12:53:21 +0000 (UTC), Bobble wrote:

ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote in news:4ced15cc.82086312
:

A big truck drove up to my house, and a man left a VERY large and VERY
HEAVY box on my front porch.

Inside is what must be a VERY nice cat tree, according to the packing
slip.

I was told to expect a 'gift' from the many nice people here on RPCC,
but I'm really OVERWHELMED!

The packing slip says its 62 inches tall, and I'm only 65 inches tall.

It's nearly as tall as I AM!

This must be a VERY, VERY NICE cat tree!

Probably the nicest one I've ever seen: the local pet store, where I

buy
cat food, has some that are two or three levels, and they are VERY
expensive, and are probably only half the size.

I wish I could thank each and every one of you properly, but all I can
say is: Thank you all very, very much!!!

The box is very heavy, and, as some of you know, I am disabled.

I am going to have to assemble the tree piece by piece: I cannot move
the box over the door sill of my house.

I couldn't even get it to slide on the floor, or my porch, it's so
heavy.

I know I can do it, but it's going to take awhile. I'll have to do it

in
easy stages.

And, I'll have to remove one of my dining room chairs, and they are

big
and heavy too.

I'll have to put it up in the attic, and I'm sure it's way over 20

lbs:
its antique cherry wood, with arms and a high back.

I bought the table in pieces, and restored and refinished it, and the
chairs, and recovered the chair seats, too.

I could do a lot of things when I was younger, that I just can't do
anymore

I just hate it.

I'm only 57 years old, but I've been injured so many times. Rather

badly
in 2006. I missed 3 months of work, and I was never able to go back to
work full time, before I lost my job, in 2009.

Some old injuries from High School, college, and afterwards, have came
back to visit....and they never left.

They have ganged up on me, and I'm outnumbered.

The cat tree will be really, REALLY nice, and it should really help
Lorelei to feel more at home.

I'm hoping it will keep her from spending so much time in my basement.

Lorelei hasn't looked out a window since she got here.

I have a nice shelf I built by one of the windows, with a really nice
soft covering, but I can't get her to use it.

It will probably take me two weeks to do everything, at least. Every
time I do something I'm not supposed to, it can take me several days

recover from it.
I'm not supposed to lift anything over 20lbs., and I'm going to have

to.

I have to move my dining room table, and it's very, very heavy, and

the
legs are dug way into the carpet: it hasn't been moved in about 30
years.

I'm going to have to move it, somehow.

For many, many years, my older brother Dan always helped me out; he

only
lives a few miles away. I was always small and thin. He's shorter than

am, but his shoulders are almost twice as wide.

But, he has liver cancer, and we, my elderly Mother and I, are hoping

he
will make it to Christmas, and be able to enjoy it, now.

I will keep you posted on the progress.

I have to look through Dan's tools, and see what I might be able to

use
to move the table over about a foot or so. Dan has a LOT of tools;

tools
I can't even recognize when I see them, and I'm sure he has what I

need,
and he can tell me how to move the table.

I wish I could just set it up. Even 10 years ago, I could have, in a

few
hours.

I'm very good with tools, and I always liked to work with my hands,

and
now I can't do most of the things I used to be able to do.

I am so VERY grateful for this wonderful gift, and for all of you
WONDERFUL people. Many of you hardly know me.

I'm so excited!

When it is set up by the window, Lorelei will love it, I am certain of
that!

And I'm still overwhelmed, by all of you amazing people, and what you
have done Lorelei, and for me

Thank you. Again.

Here some of the churches have groups of young folks who like to do
things for others who need help - i.e. raking leaves, helping clean up a
house for a senior or disabled person, etc. for free, of course. Might
be worth asking a few of them if they have such a thing, or know someone
who does.

Bobble

That's a REALLY good idea! I will look into that.

I vote at a Methodist church that is only a block and a half away, and I
have seen posters in there for a LOT of community type programs.

I grew up Catholic, and none of the churches I used to go to did things
like the Methodist church does.

But, I grew up in the suburbs, and now I live right in the city, so
perhaps it's different, in the city Churches, where there are so many
more problems in the community, than in the suburbs.
Old November 21st 10, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
John Ross Mc Master

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 23:52:44 GMT, ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com
(Gandalf) wrote:

[...]

Da subburbs is worsted dan da sitties an I know did is tru.

Spring who will be 2 yeers old soon
Old November 21st 10, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mosey =^..^=[_7_]

Gandalf wrote and Mosey gentlly edited :

Here some of the churches have groups of young folks who like to do
things for others who need help - i.e. raking leaves, helping clean up a
house for a senior or disabled person, etc. for free, of course. Might
be worth asking a few of them if they have such a thing, or know someone
who does.

Bobble

That's a REALLY good idea! I will look into that.

It is a really good idea, thanks for that Bobble.

I vote at a Methodist church that is only a block and a half away, and I
have seen posters in there for a LOT of community type programs.

Well, call them...and see what they say

I grew up Catholic, and none of the churches I used to go to did things
like the Methodist church does.

But, I grew up in the suburbs, and now I live right in the city, so
perhaps it's different, in the city Churches, where there are so many
more problems in the community, than in the suburbs.

The suburbs have problems now too. It's a shame
Well, Gandalf, it couldn't hurt to call some Methodist churches, or some
place that assists the disabled
......a senior center, for instance. Couldn't hurt to try. Call a local
'helpline' and tell them your situation, and someone might be able to help
you. I'd go with the Methodist church first.
Purrs lovingly sent for this to all work out for you.

Old November 21st 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

"MLB" wrote
Will in New Haven wrote:
"cshenk" wrote:

2 days ago, a neighbor came over and just knocked on the door. 'Could
you
help me get a 35lb turkey into the house'? Sure. She's disabled too so
Charlotte went over and got it to her freezer for her. These are new
folks
we'd not met yet but we happy to help.

I would have helped her also but I'm laughing from imagining what
would happen if she had asked Bear (our dog)

If she couldn't get it in the house, how will she get it from the fridge
to the oven and out while hot? Just wondering! MLB

No problem! Logical if not familiar with such. She has an able bodied
husband who works during the day and just needed help getting the bird in.
He will handle getting it 'out and about' as needed ;-)

Old November 21st 10, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Will in New Haven

On Nov 21, 11:35*am, "cshenk" wrote:
"MLB" wrote

Will in New Haven wrote:
"cshenk" wrote:
2 days ago, a neighbor came over and just knocked on the door. *'Could
you
help me get a 35lb turkey into the house'? *Sure. *She's disabled too so
Charlotte went over and got it to her freezer for her. *These are new
folks
we'd not met yet but we happy to help.
I would have helped her also but I'm laughing from imagining what
would happen if she had asked Bear (our dog)

If she couldn't get it in the house, how will she get it from the fridge
to the oven and out while hot? *Just wondering! * MLB

No problem! *Logical if not familiar with such. *She has an able bodied
husband who works during the day and just needed help getting the bird in..
He will handle getting it 'out and about' as needed ;-)

He'd better or she won't feed him. It's why women keep us loutish
types around. :-,)

--
Will in New Haven