Cats and Xmas Trees, advice please

Old October 24th 08, 10:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie

Default Cats and Xmas Trees, advice please

Last xmas was Smudgie's first xmas. She watched with great interest whilst
I put up the tree and it made me wonder how long it would be before she;

a. pulled it over on top of her
b. got stuck in it
c. ate the baubles

Luckily she did none of the above .... however, I did find it strange when
the tree lights stopped working after a couple of days. I checked that
every bulb was in properly. I then checked the wire from the plug to the
first light and could find no sign of teeth marks so put it down to the
cheap lights failing because they were cheap. Having put the lights on
before the baubles etc, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of stripping
the tree to remove the lights and so my tree didn't fulfil it's destiny to
twinkle and sparkle.

When I came to pack the tree away I discovered the source of the lighting
problem .... I removed the baubles and sparkly stuff then went to remove
the lights. As I did so, hundreds of "bits" of lights and wires fell into a
heap on the floor. The little madam must have been chomping on the wires
after I had gone to bed! Since then Smudgie has munched her way through all
"unattended" thin wires ... from headphones to phone chargers to speaker
wires on the stereo!

I would really like to have lights on my tree this year but can't fathom a
way to do so unless I fork out more cash to buy a pre-lit tree. I am hoping
for some advice on this as it's likely someone else has had this problem?

Thanks
Sharon

Old October 24th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sara[_3_]

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:28:31 +0100, "Sharon & Smudgie"
wrote:

[...]

the last couple of years I bought those cans of spray that the cats
hate (bitter apple?) from the pet supply store and sprayed the tree
several times a day -- might need to pay special attention to the
wires on your tree. might want to get some and try it out on
something else first to see how it works for you...

Sara
Old October 24th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Spot[_2_]

I agree, get a bottle of bitter apple. Spray the lights thoroughly before
putting them on the tree and every couple of days spritz the tree with the
stuff. It's not harmful but taste absolutely horrible. I used it on most
everything to keep the pup from chewing stuff and it works great.

Celeste

Old October 24th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

Sara wrote in news:70p3g4tgsp3vj7ljs4bbo78id4ibcmjjdd@
4ax.com:

the last couple of years I bought those cans of spray that the cats
hate (bitter apple?) from the pet supply store and sprayed the tree
several times a day -- might need to pay special attention to the
wires on your tree. might want to get some and try it out on
something else first to see how it works for you...

The idea of my Harley turning into Fried Harley had me training her at a
very early age that wires of any kind were Very Bad to mess with. And
having multiple computers and being a gamer, I've got lots of wires around
me. She's very responsive to a bark of "No!" and the very rare smack on the
butt. I've got some of the spray but haven't had to use it.

Fortunately for both of us I have no love for xmas trees so there's none
here to tempt her.
Old October 24th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message
[...]

Boy have I ever. Sam used to do this. He bit through a live wire and
burned his mouth his second Christmas and quit. Not what I'd
recomend.

Molly also has a thing for munching cords in private. Usually
telephone cords, she seems to know the diference and I fear learned
the same way Sam did.

The only thing that works for us, and even that not all the time, is
to saturate all the cords with bitter apple. Check with the pet
store, they have other products as well.

Note, the prelit trees really aren't the answer, they have chewable
wire on them.

Jo

Old October 24th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_4_]

"ScratchMonkey" ...
Sara
the last couple of years I bought those cans of spray that the cats
hate (bitter apple?) from the pet supply store and sprayed the tree
several times a day -- might need to pay special attention to the
wires on your tree. might want to get some and try it out on
something else first to see how it works for you...

The idea of my Harley turning into Fried Harley had me training her at a
very early age that wires of any kind were Very Bad to mess with. And
having multiple computers and being a gamer, I've got lots of wires around
me. She's very responsive to a bark of "No!" and the very rare smack on
the
butt. I've got some of the spray but haven't had to use it.

Fortunately for both of us I have no love for xmas trees so there's none
here to tempt her.

Same here, IF we have a tree, it's usually a tiny one that's already
decorated and we put it up high enough where they can't get to it. I think
we have the one from last year, but may not put it up...
And a warning NEVER put tinsel on your tree

Kyla

Kyla.

Old October 24th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

[...]

Our Christmas tree came with optic fibre in it, so that its 'self lit'. Yes,
there is a wire involved, but only one, and it goes into the base of the
tree and is like any other appliance cord - fat.

I like the look of the optic fibre little points of lights (which change
colour) more than traditional fairy lights, but YMMV.

Yowie

--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old October 25th 08, 07:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message
Last xmas was Smudgie's first xmas. She watched with great
interest whilst I put up the tree and it made me wonder how
long it would be before she;

a. pulled it over on top of her
b. got stuck in it
c. ate the baubles

When I came to pack the tree away I discovered the source of
the lighting problem .... hundreds of "bits" of lights and
wires fell into a heap on the floor. The little madam must
have been chomping on the wires after I had gone to bed! I
would really like to have lights on my tree this year but can't
fathom a way to do so unless I fork out more cash to buy a
pre-lit tree....

I have a fibre-optic tree with the varying colour light source in
the base of the tree. I think it's wonderful, and much better
than ordinary lights.

--
MatSav

Old October 25th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Oct 25, 12:57 am, "MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at |
dsl | dot
| pipex | dot | com wrote:
"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in
m...

[...]

Where I live now, many residents of these old 1850-and-on
constructed
houses which mostly have *no* driveways because it all went up
before
the auto became a staple and all transportation was by
horse....they
like
to try to keep up holiday decorations as if those days were
still with
us:
i.e. *candles* in holders, clipped to branches of the holiday
tree.
Not only
that, but the whole thing is usually at the foot of the
stairway, so
if it goes
up in flames for any reason the front doorway exit totally
blocked...the
first time I saw this, it blew me away. They put it in that
spot so it
may be
seen easily from the street.
Hopefully you live someplace where this insanity does not go on
widespread.
Instead of light strings, have you considered using what is
recommended for
metallic trees - a battery-operated spotlight from the floor?

I agree with you that candles on trees are risky. Fibre-optic
trees aren't metallic though - they're glass and plastic.
Something like this one:

http://www.godfrey-diy.co.uk/gallery/24030140-large.gif

--
MatSav

Old October 26th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 23:36:34 +0100, MatSav wrote:

"hopitus" wrote in message

On Oct 25, 12:57 am, "MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot
| pipex | dot | com wrote:
"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in
m...

Last xmas was Smudgie's first xmas. She watched with great interest
whilst I put up the tree and it made me wonder how long it would be
before she;

a. pulled it over on top of her
b. got stuck in it
c. ate the baubles

When I came to pack the tree away I discovered the source of the
lighting problem .... hundreds of "bits" of lights and wires fell
into a heap on the floor. The little madam must have been chomping
on the wires after I had gone to bed! I would really like to have
[...]

Hopefully, most of the people are using electric candles, not real ones.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from