Indoor plants

Old August 15th 05, 06:27 PM
Thomas F. Maguire

Default Indoor plants

I've tried reading the lists of non-toxic indoor plants and then searching
local nurseries for such plants. This is damn inefficient and has resulted
in very little greenery in my apartment. I've gone through a few ficus
benjiminas. The white sap is somewhat toxic, but my cat isn't interested in
it; however, ficus are touchy and I'm not having much success. Any
suggestions for non-toxic house plants that can survive in moderate indirect
light? Something much bigger than African Violets. Palms? Bamboos? Ferns?

I appreciate any suggestions. My cat is happy with his indoor grass, so
isn't terribly interested in other plants unless I spent more time with them
than him.

Tom

--
www.DuendeDrama.org
Bringing Plays and Stories

Old August 16th 05, 02:56 AM
Judy

"Thomas F. Maguire" wrote in message
I've tried reading the lists of non-toxic indoor plants and then searching
local nurseries for such plants. This is damn inefficient and has resulted
in very little greenery in my apartment. I've gone through a few ficus
benjiminas. The white sap is somewhat toxic, but my cat isn't interested
in
it; however, ficus are touchy and I'm not having much success. Any
suggestions for non-toxic house plants that can survive in moderate
indirect
light? Something much bigger than African Violets. Palms? Bamboos? Ferns?

I appreciate any suggestions. My cat is happy with his indoor grass, so
isn't terribly interested in other plants unless I spent more time with
them
than him.

Tom

How about a Norfolk Island Pine? They can be set in indirect sunlight or
early morning sun.

Judy

Old August 16th 05, 04:58 PM
Thomas F. Maguire

How about a Norfolk Island Pine? They can be set in indirect sunlight or
early morning sun.

Judy

I like this idea. Thanks Judy.

Tom

Old August 17th 05, 01:54 AM
Judy

"Thomas F. Maguire" wrote in message

How about a Norfolk Island Pine? They can be set in indirect sunlight or
early morning sun.

Judy

I like this idea. Thanks Judy.

Tom

You're welcome Tom. Seeing that the pine has needles, if a cat decides to
chomp on it, it will only do so once! :c) At least that's been my experience
when it comes to cats and the pines.

Judy

Old August 27th 05, 05:09 AM
Rhonda

We have spider plants all over the place.

Rhonda

Old August 27th 05, 06:09 AM
-L.

Thomas F. Maguire wrote:
I've tried reading the lists of non-toxic indoor plants and then searching
local nurseries for such plants. This is damn inefficient and has resulted
in very little greenery in my apartment. I've gone through a few ficus
benjiminas. The white sap is somewhat toxic, but my cat isn't interested in
it; however, ficus are touchy and I'm not having much success. Any
suggestions for non-toxic house plants that can survive in moderate indirect
light? Something much bigger than African Violets. Palms? Bamboos? Ferns?

I appreciate any suggestions. My cat is happy with his indoor grass, so
isn't terribly interested in other plants unless I spent more time with them
than him.

Tom

Boston ferns, but they need high humidity, so you have to spray them
often or give them a shower.

-L.

Old August 27th 05, 08:03 PM
hopitus

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Thomas F. Maguire wrote:
[...]

Try spathophyllums (peace lily) had those for years w/cats (they never
chewed or seemed interested)...a tip for having happy ficus benjamins: if
you give them too much water (they don't seem to need direct sun) they'll
get

"root rot" and eventually die. We had one live happily w/cats for years when
we lived in Miami. Like the "corn plant" (think it's called draceana) the
less water the better w/potted ficus benjamins.