Bad kitty

Old October 8th 04, 04:59 PM
Mary

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
I apologize for my very cutting response to the person who assumed and
diagnosed via a post that the cat bit visciously because of being

declawed. I
meant what I said, but I could have tempered it down some. I should have

it
mastered within a year. :-)

No apologies necessary, asswipe. I have heard declaw apologists tell me
that some have no problems, but I have seen the cat I declawed and the one
my mother declawed and the several my acquaintances declawed become biters,
eliminate in appropriately and become mistrustful (and rightly so) of their
humans. That said, I am quite happy for everyone to have their say,
including the kind of spineless, cat-hating bully you must be in order to
even suggest that this procedure is anything but an abuse of the animal. I
would defend your right to express the fact that you are at best a misguided
dickhead with everything short of my very life. There are people who will
think that your brilliant "argument" that there might be one cat in the
world that has been declawed and does not bite, etc justifies their doing to
their cat. Nice job.

Old October 8th 04, 05:18 PM
Mary

"Wendy" wrote

De-clawing a cat isn't the only reason cats bite. Without further

information it's impossible to tell what this cat's problem is.

It isn't the only reason but it does contribute to the cause. A declawed cat
certainly notices that it has no claws and when feeling aggressive goes to
Plan B. After bringing this up, my next question was "what are you doing
when he bites," because I agree with you that it is likely something is
happening to bring on the aggression, whether overstimulating play or
something else.

I agree that hitting, swatting and spraying aren't the best way to get the
cat to stop biting. I would think that these methods might even exacerbate
the problem
as you're giving the cat legitimate reasons to be fearful which might be a

part of the problem (being fearful that is).

And then there are cats like Gnarly, who would just saunter up to a guest as
we sat talking quietly int he kitchen, get up on her back legs and sink her
teeth in the guests arm. So, what, did visitors threaten her? What to do
with that?

While she had always been nasty, after I had her declawed it got worse and
it did shift from clawing to biting. Although she got really, really good
with her back claws and achieved sufficient accuracy that she could rake me
up the side of a finger when I picked her up.

As I have stated before, I trained her not to bite me by slapping her when
she did. While it was really more of a tap on the side of the face, she
hated it and first stopped drawing blood then stopped anything but the
lightest play bites. Now that I know more about cats, I regret both the
declaw and slapping her to make her stop biting me. It amounted to adding
insult to injury. Smacking a cat can, therefore, work to stop them from
biting--however, you may wind up with a fearful cat that does not trust you
and cannot love you.

Old October 8th 04, 05:47 PM
Laila

On 08 Oct 2004 08:39:02 GMT, (Luvskats00) wrote:

Laila
writes
"..the swat, which is fine"

I'd try that after every other method was exhausted..first, the positive ways
to change behavior.

no, no she swats at me. lol, i don't hit her!

-L
"Belief in the supernatural reflects a failure of the imagination."

"A good philosopher is one who does not take ideas seriously."

"If the world is irrational, we can never know it--either it or its irrationality."

"Humility is a virtue when you have no other."

"The more fantastic an ideology or theology, the more fanatic are its adherents."

"The missionaries go forth to Christianize the savages--as if the savages weren't dangerous enough already."

"If the end does not justify the means--what can?"

"Reason has seldom failed us because it has seldom been tried."

"Is there a God? Who knows? Is there an angry unicorn on the dark side of the moon?"

"Whatever we cannot easily understand we call God; this saves much wear and tear on the brain tissues."

"Christian theology: nothing so grotesque could possibly be true."

"Only a fool is astonished by the foolishness of mankind."

"I hate intellectual discussion. When I hear the words `phenomenology' or `structuralism', I reach for my buck knife."

"When I hear the word `culture', I reach for my checkbook."

"From the point of view of a tapeworm, man was created by God to serve the appetite of the tapeworm."

"What's the difference between the Lone Ranger and God? There really is a Lone Ranger."

"What did Jesus say to the headwaiter at the Last Supper? `Separate checks, please.'"

"Every analysis leaves a residue of the unknown; this we call God or Karma or--depending on time and place--the UFO. (Unidentified ****ing Object)."

"Every man has two vocations: his own and philosophy."

"Through logic and inference we can prove anything. Therefore, logic and inference, in contrast to ordinary daily living experience, are secondary instruments of knowledge. Probably tertiary."

"Proverbs save us the trouble of thinking. What we call folk wisdom is often no more than a kind of expedient stupidity."

"Appearance *versus* reality? Appearance *is* reality, God damn it!"

"In both metaphysics and art, honesty is the best policy. Keep it clean."

"Mormonism: Nothing so hilarious could possibly be true. Or all bad."

"Nothing could be more reckless than to base one's moral philosophy on the latest pronouncements of science."

"My cousin Elroy spent seven years as an IBM taper staring at THINK signs on the walls before he finally got a good idea: He quit."

"My computer tells me that in twenty-five years there will be no more computers."

"We are all ONE, say the gurus. Aye, I might agree--but one WHAT?"

"Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and the hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward."

"God is love? Not bloody likely."
"Metaphysics is a cobweb that the mind weaves around things."

"The world is older and bigger than we are. This is a hard truth for some folks to swallow."

"When the philosopher's argument becomes tedious, complicated, and opaque, it is usually a sign that he is attempting to prove as true to the intellect what is plainly false to common sense. But men of intellect will believe anything-- if it appeals to their ego, their vanity, their sense of self-importance."

"What ideal, immutable Platonic cloud could equal the beauty and perfection of any ordinary everyday cloud floating over, say, Tuba City, Arizona, on a hot day in June?"

"Zen: the sound of the ax chopping. Chopping logic."

"The function of an ideal is not to be realized but, like that of the North Star, to serve as a guiding point."

"This world may be only illusion--but it's the only illusion we've got."

"Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage."

"Truth is merely common sense, say the naive realist. Really? Then where, precisely, is the location of--a rainbow? In the air? In the eye? In between? Or somewhere else?"