Cat foods and too much sugar - what are the best?

Old August 24th 05, 09:20 PM

Default Cat foods and too much sugar - what are the best?

I was thinking about possible food allergies (some cats are allergic to
fish).

I know that Eukanuba, Wellness, Pro Plan, and Nutra Max are among the best,
but how about the supermarket foods.

Someone was telling me that Fancy Feast is loaded with sugar, but a check
of some sites indicate it isn't that bad. That person said if you're going
to go with a "supermarket cat food", go with Friskies.

My mom's cat loves Fancy Feast and for hard food,her Purina Pro Plan
chicken and rice. She also doesn't mind Wellness from time to time, but
will not eat Iams.
Old August 24th 05, 10:14 PM
Christina Websell

wrote in message
I was thinking about possible food allergies (some cats are allergic to
fish).

I know that Eukanuba, Wellness, Pro Plan, and Nutra Max are among the
best,
but how about the supermarket foods.

Someone was telling me that Fancy Feast is loaded with sugar, but a check
of some sites indicate it isn't that bad. That person said if you're
going
to go with a "supermarket cat food", go with Friskies.

My mom's cat loves Fancy Feast and for hard food,her Purina Pro Plan
chicken and rice. She also doesn't mind Wellness from time to time, but
will not eat Iams.

This is interesting to read. When my friend N came over from Germany and we
went shopping, she minutely examined our cat food for sugar and there wasn't
any in it. Apparently there is sugar in most German canned cat food for
palatibility (sp?) and she's trying to get the manufacturers to cut it right
down there. She has cats herself and worries about their teeth in the long
term with sugar in the food.

Tweed

Old August 24th 05, 10:40 PM
kilikini

wrote in message
I was thinking about possible food allergies (some cats are allergic to
fish).

I know that Eukanuba, Wellness, Pro Plan, and Nutra Max are among the

best,
but how about the supermarket foods.

Someone was telling me that Fancy Feast is loaded with sugar, but a check
of some sites indicate it isn't that bad. That person said if you're

going
to go with a "supermarket cat food", go with Friskies.

My mom's cat loves Fancy Feast and for hard food,her Purina Pro Plan
chicken and rice. She also doesn't mind Wellness from time to time, but
will not eat Iams.

My MIL's cat was just diagnosed with crystals in her urine and now they have
to change Gabby's diet. In addition to the foods you mentioned (the vet did
as well), he suggested Purina One Lamb and Rice formula. My MIL got the
Nutro instead, but Purina One is readily available at grocery stores.

kili

Old August 25th 05, 03:12 AM
Judy

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

wrote in message
... Someone was telling me that Fancy Feast is loaded with sugar, but a
check
of some sites indicate it isn't that bad. ...

Hi,
I've never heard of a cat food containing sugar. I've looked at lots of
labels over the years, but I don't recall ever seeing sugar as an
ingredient.

I've never seen any mention of sugar as an ingredient either.

Just a couple of months ago a study was published that said that cats
don't have the ability to taste sugar.

I read about that here. www.tinyurl.com/bfuc6

If you are concerned about sugar in a certain brand, it would be easy
enough to read the label and see if what you heard is true.

Exactly! :c)

Judy

Old August 25th 05, 04:47 AM

"kilikini" wrote in
:

Subject: Cat foods and too much sugar - what are the best?
From: "kilikini"
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
[...]

I'm really surprised that he didn't recommend Purina Pro Plan as that's
their top of the line food. It's been around for quite awhile, but
usually only sold in specialty pet stores (and online) or at the vet's
office. Purina has actually just started putting coupons for it in the
Sunday papers.

Check it out on the net:

http://www.proplan.com/cat_products/products_cat.aspx

Old August 25th 05, 06:13 AM
Kiran

Annie Wxill wrote:

: I've never heard of a cat food containing sugar. I've looked at lots
: of labels over the years, but I don't recall ever seeing sugar as an
: ingredient.

It may be something they are not required to list? Anyway, if my memory
serves me then all carbohydrates are either fiber or sugars. Dry food,
especially cheap kind, would be a likely culprit.
Old August 25th 05, 06:23 AM
Kiran

: Someone was telling me that Fancy Feast is loaded with sugar,
: but a check of some sites indicate it isn't that bad.

FF is one of the better ones.

: That person said if you're going to go with a "supermarket cat
: food", go with Friskies.

Good advice but FF is better (and more expensive). Friskies has
just too many formulations on the market which go from junk
to very good. Read labels carefully.

From a recent post by Phil:

==========

"Here's a list of foods I found acceptable:

"Fancy Feast:
Marinated Beef Feast,
Marinated Chicken Feast,
Marinated Salom Feast,
Grilled Chicken Feast,
Grilled Turkey Feast,
Grilled Tuna Feast,
Minced Beef Feast,
Sliced Beef Feast,
Sliced Beef & Giblets Feast,
Sliced Chicken Hearts & Liver Feast,
Seafood Filets Tuna & Ocean Whitefish,.
Avoid the entire Flaked, Filet & Pate line.

"Science Diet:
Gourmet Turkey Entree,
Liver & Chicken Entree,
Gourmet Beef Entree,
Turkey & Giblets Entree,
Savory Cuts Chicken Dinner in Savory Gravy,
Savory Cuts Ocean Fish Dinner in Sauce,
Savory Cuts Beef Dinner in Gravy,
Savory Chicken Entree,
Savory Salmon Entree.

"Friskies:
Fine Cuts With Real Chicken,
Fine Cuts With Real Fish- Ocean Whitefish, and Tuna,
Fine Cuts With Tuna in Sauce.

"Petguard:
Turkey & Rice,
Rabbit & Rice,
Chicken & Wheat Germ Dinner,
Venison & Rice.

"Wysong:
Chicken Gourmet,
Liver Gourmet,
Seafood Gourmet

"Wellness:
Chicken."

==========

Friskies list seems short. If you read labels carefully you should be
able to find other decent candidates.
Old August 25th 05, 06:29 AM

Kiran wrote in :

: I've never heard of a cat food containing sugar. I've looked at lots
: of labels over the years, but I don't recall ever seeing sugar as an
: ingredient.

It may be something they are not required to list? Anyway, if my memory
serves me then all carbohydrates are either fiber or sugars. Dry food,
especially cheap kind, would be a likely culprit.

The person may have meant carbs.
Old August 25th 05, 09:20 AM
Phil P.

"Kiran" wrote in message

: Someone was telling me that Fancy Feast is loaded with sugar,
: but a check of some sites indicate it isn't that bad.

FF is one of the better ones.

: That person said if you're going to go with a "supermarket cat
: food", go with Friskies.

Good advice but FF is better (and more expensive). Friskies has
just too many formulations on the market which go from junk
to very good. Read labels carefully.

From a recent post by Phil:

==========

[...]

You can these diets to the list of acceptable Friskies diets:

Seared Filets With Turkey & Giblets,
Seared Filets with Salmon
Sliced Gourmet Grill,
Prime Filets with Chicken in Gravy,
Prime Filets Turkey in Gravy,

Phil

Old August 25th 05, 01:26 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message

Someone was telling me that Fancy Feast is loaded with sugar, but a check
of some sites indicate it isn't that bad.

That's not true. Most of Fancy Feast diets contain less than 4%
carbohydrate. In fact, some Fancy Feast diets- especially the seafood
diets- are so low in carbohydrates that they've been used to successfully
wean diabetic cats off insulin.