Adoption Day!! Ok, a little late and long, and probably boring

Old September 14th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Adoption Day!! Ok, a little late and long, and probably boring

We celebrate purrdays, annipurrseries, and other celebrations on the
first Monday in September, AKA Labor Day. I can remember Labor Day.
Most of the time my brain is a LITTLE fuzzy and I have more memory
problems with less excuse than my DH.

I found myself doing some thinking as I watched the owners this year.
Tanada, our GOW (Grouchy Old Womancat) is 15 now. She shows her age
in the weight she's lost, the way she looks a little more fragile, and
her increased grouchyness. We can't blame her much. As I told her,
when I get the equivilant of 75, I intend to be even more grouchy.

I miss Berfert. Berfert was Mike's (Son) cat. He really owned all of
us with his offbeat sense of humor and love of irony. He would have
been 14 on Adoption day.

QC is, we think, 10 now. Offically a senior cat. The only concession
she has made to her age is a slight decrease in her patience with the
younger set. She's still our gentle giantess, hugging those she loves
and staring down the rest of the world. I've never known anyone to be
deliberately hurt by her. Sometimes she lets me hold her as I sleep.
I never have a bad dream if the Cooch is with me.

Sonya is getting more and more willing to let us love and scritch
her. She is one of the few cats who likes to be petted. I have a cat
bed on my desk because she loves to lay by my computer while I play on
it. She is an elegant little thing, oriental in shape and exotic in
her looks. We have an arangement with my water glass, I roll away
from it and pretend I don't know that she is up there and she drinks
my water and stirs my hair up with her tail.

Qui Gun Kit is still infatuated with his Miss LilyWhiskers in Wales.
He is also the only cat I know (off hand) who likes to have a human
make a platform with his/her arms so that he can ride in style. Mike
taught him that. QGK is the current class clown. He does things.
He's different than Berfert was, there isn't the same sense of irony
in his behavior, but the humor is similar and QGK is every bit as
serious about his work as hoomin entertainer and trainer.

Merlin and Huey, Huey and Merlin. The two of them are a team. Huey
and Sonya are wink wink buddies, but his relationship with Merlin is
deeper in a way. Sorta like two co-workers who hang out at the pub
after shift change. They like to share the bed with us. Huey takes
Rob's half and Merlin takes mine. We twist our legs into pretzels
around them and curse them under our breaths. We don't feel right if
they aren't in our beds at sleepy time, and have been known to go
looking for them. I guess we're gluttons for punishment.

Pine Cone. What can I say about PC, AKA "PC YOU FREAK!!!" other than
his b*st*rd cat tricks are improving and becoming more refined. He no
longer tries to get Mandy in trouble for getting him wet. He now
tries to get her in trouble for not getting him wet. Especially if
she doesn't give him punk spiked fur. If she doesn't let him sleep in
her room, he either cries at her door until I sneak over and open it
far enough for him to slip in, or he comes in and makes loud crunchy
noises at the feeding station, which is in our room to keep Speedy the
d-thing out of it. If Mandy or Jim insult his sensibilities, he'll
not only rat them out, but he'll get even at the same time. I
honestly think that he and Qui Gun Kit rival each other in the brains
as well as irritation departments.

I can tell when it is time for Rob's next course of Chemo by the
number of owners sharing our sleeping quarters. Last week I had to
shift cats in order to share a swath (and I'm not small kiddies) less
than four inches wide with six owners. The only owners not on the bed
were Sonya and Speedy (the d-thing).

I have no idea where Sonya was, but Speedy was doing his best to be
tossed out into the cold (as if) night air by sleeping on the sofa.
Mandy's boy toy, Jim, decided that it was unfair to Speedy not to let
him on the furniture. I pointed out that not only was the d*g pretty
good sized, but letting him on the furniture messed up the heirarchy
of alphadom that we had carefully worked out. You know: Cats, then
Rob, Me, Mandy, Mike, Speedy, then Jim. By letting Speedy sleep on
the furniture, Jim was placing him higher on the food chain. Neither
my future ex-son-in-law or the d*g were impressed. So I promptly
kicked the d-thing off the furniture four times in the course of the
night. I was none too gentle (or quiet) about it. This morning I
found that the d-thing had spent at least part of the night on his
blanket. A big improvement.

There have been a lot of other musings and thoughts over the past
couple of weeks, but I've bored you enough for now. A thought
though. Monday I turn 52. I don't feel a day over 73.

Pam S. who really needs more sleep

Old September 14th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

tanadashoes wrote:
I found myself doing some thinking as I watched the owners this year.
Tanada, our GOW (Grouchy Old Womancat) is 15 now. She shows her age
in the weight she's lost, the way she looks a little more fragile, and
her increased grouchyness. We can't blame her much. As I told her,
when I get the equivilant of 75, I intend to be even more grouchy.

I miss Berfert. Berfert was Mike's (Son) cat. He really owned all of
us with his offbeat sense of humor and love of irony. He would have
been 14 on Adoption day.

Berfert was such a funny and unique cat. I miss him too.

Neither my future ex-son-in-law or the d*g were impressed.

You sure do have the future planned out in detail. I enjoyed
reading about your clowder. There are about a dozen dramas playing
out between them all at once.

Old September 15th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

On Sep 14, 6:26 pm, Takayuki wrote:
tanadashoes wrote:
I found myself doing some thinking as I watched the owners this year.
Tanada, our GOW (Grouchy Old Womancat) is 15 now. She shows her age
in the weight she's lost, the way she looks a little more fragile, and
her increased grouchyness. We can't blame her much. As I told her,
when I get the equivilant of 75, I intend to be even more grouchy.

I miss Berfert. Berfert was Mike's (Son) cat. He really owned all of
us with his offbeat sense of humor and love of irony. He would have
been 14 on Adoption day.

Berfert was such a funny and unique cat. I miss him too.

Neither my future ex-son-in-law or the d*g were impressed.

You sure do have the future planned out in detail. I enjoyed
reading about your clowder. There are about a dozen dramas playing
out between them all at once.

One of the many joys of multiple owners. The future ex-son-in-law
term is a paraphrase from a Voltaire song entitled "Future Ex-
Girlfriend" which is guarenteed to get a smile out of those hearing me
call him that. Tonight we had the battle of Rob's knees. When one of
the cats wants to sleep under the covers, Rob will bring his ankles
towards his hind end, causing a tent like cavity for the owner. There
are several who take advantage of Rob's long legs, usually without
problems. Tonight Huey and Tanada (who had possession) disputed
tenting rights. Merlin nipped in and took over while Tanada and Huey
hissed it out over my desk. Rob is much calmer about dealing with
possible dismemberment of special regions than I would be. He stayed
still, reading a book, with the hissing royale going on and Merlin
doing a nip and tuck by his delicate parts.

Pam S.

Old September 15th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

tanadashoes wrote:
We celebrate purrdays, annipurrseries, and other celebrations on the
first Monday in September, AKA Labor Day. I can remember Labor Day.
Most of the time my brain is a LITTLE fuzzy and I have more memory
problems with less excuse than my DH.

I loved hearing about your clowder. Hoppy Adoption/Birthday to you all!

Old September 18th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
David Stevenson

tanadashoes wrote
[...]

I have always liked Pam's stories, many of them on my Storypage, and
some stored for when I update it. This one reminded me of the
following:

Bird Hunting
by Pam Shirk, North Carolina, USA

My cats are finally used to being inside only cats and only try to get
out on a regular basis now. They love the view from my bedroom window as
that is the one with the bird feeders in it. They each have their own
style of bird watching and their own way of expressing their interest in
the event.

QC:
"Ok, so there's a bird. Hey, Sh*t, he's a big one. Mom, look at the big
one. Mom. Mom. Look. Big bird. Oh that's a squirrel. I knew that."

Tanada:
"Mom! Bird! Bird, Mom! Bird. Mom, bird. Common Mom, there's a bird out
there. MOOOOOMMMM! THERE'S A bird OUT THERE!!! Mom. MOM! Bird. Big bird,
Mom......"

Berfert:
"Whatcha looking at Mom? Oh MY GOD! Who put that out there? Get rid of
it mom. I'll hide under the bed and you can get rid of it."

http://blakjak.org/sty_shk6.htm

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.org/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old September 18th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"David Stevenson" wrote in message
tanadashoes wrote
[...]

It's good to see a post from you, David! How are things with you, your
lovely wife, and the clowder?

Joy

Old September 19th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
David Stevenson

Joy wrote
It's good to see a post from you, David! How are things with you, your
lovely wife, and the clowder?

What lovely wife? Oh, Liz! She's ok.

Now Minke is back form his holiday - nine days missing - he seems more
friendly. Nanki Poo is always friendly.

Old September 19th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

On Sep 18, 7:59 am, David Stevenson wrote:

I have always liked Pam's stories, many of them on my Storypage, and
some stored for when I update it. This one reminded me of the
following:

Bird Hunting
by Pam Shirk, North Carolina, USA

Thanks David. I'd forgotten about that one. It's good to see your
posts again. How are you, the lovely Ms Liz, and the owners Nanki Poo
and Minki doing? How is the house remodeling doing? Would love to
see some JPGS of the owners and hear more about them.

At my hourse, the owners still love to go bird hunting in my bedroom
window. The reaction is still pretty much the same, except that we no
longer have our lovely paranoid Berfert with us.

Merlin is Mr. Cool Dude: Hey Lady, do you know that there's a bird
out there? I think it's a swallow. Nope, it's a pigeon. Maybe a
Guinea Hen. I don't know for sure, but it isn't a squirrel this
time.

Pine Cone: Mom, there's a hummingbird in your red and pink flowers
again (Crape Myrtle). And Merlin thought it was a Guinea Hen. Stupid
cat.

Huey: There's another bird out there. I think it will stay out
there. Ok, I can go to sleep now.

Sonya: BIRD!! Mom, is bird still on the list of those things I can't
bring in the house?

Qui Gun Kit: Sonya, there's a bird out there. Mom didn't say we
couldn't bring in that particular bird. I'll zap it with my ninja
powers and my light saber claws...

Me: Would you get your b*tts out of my face already? You can't have
the bird, you don't want the bird, and you aren't going to cats the
bird. So get out of there already.

Pam S. remembering

Old September 21st 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
David Stevenson

tanadashoes wrote
Thanks David. I'd forgotten about that one. It's good to see your
posts again. How are you, the lovely Ms Liz, and the owners Nanki Poo
and Minki doing? How is the house remodeling doing? Would love to
see some JPGS of the owners and hear more about them.

The work on the house is only seven months old, so no hurry for the
workers. Nanki Poo is fine, Minke is getting stranger. Pictures maybe
sometime, when i have a bit of time to update my Catpage.