She's back!

Old October 26th 03, 12:55 AM
Stacey Sharpe

Default She's back!

Geez. DH and I are both computer geeks (he being a geek-extrordinaire), yet
this stupid box had us stumped this time! The other night I come into my
puter to check the NG, surf, etc. Outlook Express and Adobe Photoshop are
open. I click to open the browser and it says "Not enough virtual memory,
blah blah blah". No big deal, I'll just reboot (anyone with a PC knows this
happens occasionally). So I reboot. All seems fine until the desktop comes
up... *all* my folders are gone, as well as all my shortcuts, etc. All that
is there is My Computer, My Documents and Internet Explorer... and nothing
happens when I click the Start button. Hmmm. When I try to open IE, a window
opens but an error message comes up saying "Cannot view page, blah blah,
activex controls setting, blah blah blah.". Hmmm-crap. Reboot. Same
thing.When I click the Start button, it looks like it's pushed in, but
nothing happens. Same ActiveX error when opening IE. It won't even try to
open the My Computer or My Documents, not even an error message. Just
FREAKING wonderful. So I reboot to Safe Mode and the same desktop comes up,
but I can go into My Computer and see that all my files are still there. I
figure, "Hell, I'll just reset the Active X controls.", except the setting
windows in My Computer, etc, are all screwy, not normal. Wonderful, I've
found a new and exciting virus or something (so much for my Norton AV,
huh?). Get DH and tell him to fix it. DH is stumped as well. We tried
everything... nothing worked and eventually had to wipe the HD and reinstall
Windows (which fixed it, at least it seems so). Reinstalling was no picnic,
as Safe Mode wouldn't read the CD drive, so DH did something over the
network with Linux or something and somehow got it to boot to the CD to
reinstall. Luckily DH pulled all data files I wanted to his comp over the
network, so I saved all my image files (cats, mostly) and stuff. So now I'm
back but I have to reinstall all my programs (some of which I don't have the
CD's for because they were pirated) and all that nonsense. BIG SIGH. So
anyway, if this ever happens to you guys, don't ask me how to fix it because
I have no idea how we did it (DH and I often fix things but don't quite know
how we did it), but I will pray for you!

BIG THANKS to dearest Marina for posting my update, Mr. Bob appreciates it.
I tried to take a pic of him to send y'all, but he said "No pictures until
all my fur grows back!". His two front legs have shaved patches and he has a
fist-sized circle shaved on his side (I wonder, is that how they got to his
bladder?). He's peeing regularly, albeit small amounts at a time (7 clumps
yesterday!). Our lives now revolve around our cat peeing, LOL. He's eating
his food with little excitement, so I suppose he doesn't really care for it,
but he does eat. Nancy, Patrick and Moogie had a little taste of the food
and think it's the best thing going, of course. Bob stays locked in our
computer room, to his dismay, but only until his meds are gone. Moogie has
snuck in and said hello by giving him a big hug and kiss, as Tak calls it
. Bob didn't really appreciate that much.

New stuff going on lately to keep us busy anyway, yesterday was our 11 year
anniversary woohoo, and today we had lunch with the MIL and her brother
and SIL in from Texas. MIL and her house-mate just got a new 8 week old
black lab puppy today, it's cute as a button. I love the smell of puppy
breath, don't you?

There are now 944 unread messages to catch up on, but purrs and prayers to
all who need it, and thanks everyone for your kind postings!

Smooches!

Stacey

P.S. My spell check isn't working now sigh, so I apologize for the
misspellings.

Old October 26th 03, 01:26 AM
Nan

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:55:56 GMT, "Stacey Sharpe"
wrote:

[...]

Aren't 'puters fun? LOL At least formatting the HD is one way to
clean all the garbage off the drive, or at least that is what I keep
telling myself everytime that I have to do it.

Nan
Old October 26th 03, 01:53 AM
Victor Martinez

I hate windows so much... the other day I was goofing around with the
files for a game I was playing (I wanted to re-set the game so I could
start all over again). One of the game's files had an icon that looked
like the Outlook archives icon. Instead of right-clicking on it and
selecting the file to be opened with notepad, I double-clicked. Outlook
setup came up, so I just clicked cancel.
Later I went to check my email and ALL MY EMAIL IS GONE!!!!!!
Nothing there. Files gone. Actually, file reset to empty. My daily
backups just not working (again, stupid microsoft application). I was
beginning to panic when I remembered Windows XP has some kind of system
restore function. Using it I managed to restore my email, I only lost
about 12 hours worth of messages.
I *hate* microsoft.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 26th 03, 03:00 AM
John Biltz

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:26:26 -0700, Nan wrote
(in message ):

I used to wipe mine every 3 months before XP. I was always trying new
programs and games so I would wipe it to clean all the missed trash. It
wasn't too bad to do because I had it partitioned with data and programs
on different drives and an external hard drive. XP was the killer for
me, drove me to Mac.

Old October 26th 03, 04:19 AM
rrb_091903

Stacey Sharpe wrote:
everything... nothing worked and eventually had to wipe the HD and reinstall
Windows (which fixed it, at least it seems so). Reinstalling was no picnic,
as Safe Mode wouldn't read the CD drive, so DH did something over the
network with Linux or something and somehow got it to boot to the CD to
reinstall. Luckily DH pulled all data files I wanted to his comp over the
network, so I saved all my image files (cats, mostly) and stuff. So now I'm
back but I have to reinstall all my programs (some of which I don't have the
CD's for because they were pirated) and all that nonsense. BIG SIGH. So
anyway, if this ever happens to you guys, don't ask me how to fix it because
I have no idea how we did it (DH and I often fix things but don't quite know
how we did it), but I will pray for you!

I'm glad you got it back. But next time I would try re-installing
windows before you format the drive alot of times it will bring the
system back to operating condition. Plus make an emergency boot disk in
case it happens again. The boot disk will contain drivers for the cd rom
drive so it can be used to re-install windows.

rrb

Old October 26th 03, 04:55 AM
pmendhall

Stacy,

You might want to check into an anti-trojan program. A site that can give
you several choices is http://www.wilders.org/index.htm. They have several
good free tools. Another place to check for computer problems that have you
stumped is http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security,1. This link will take
you to their security forum. The people on the list are very helpful and
are even patient with people who do not know anything about security,
virus', trojans, et.

Good luck

Diane

Old October 26th 03, 05:23 AM
Alan Erskine

"Stacey Sharpe" wrote in message
Geez. DH

Is there an acronym list for this group? DH?; (NG I know); BW? WTF? ;-0

--
Alan Erskine
alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Due to Optusnet's failure to deal with
the current virus SPAM attack, respond
to alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Old October 26th 03, 06:01 AM
Marina

"Alan Erskine" wrote

Is there an acronym list for this group? DH?; (NG I know); BW? WTF?

;-0

I don't know if they are in the FAQ. Here are the the ones I can remember
off the top of my head.

DH = Dear Husband, DW = Dear Wife, SO = Significant Other, BF, GF =
Boy/Girlfriend. MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL = Mother, Father, Sister, Brother-in-law.

BW = Beverage Warning. When reading a post marked BW, please put down all
beverages and swallow what's in your mouth, as said post may cause you to
laugh uncontrollably and splutter said beverage all over monitor and
keyboard.

K(F)W = Kitten (Fever) Warning. When reading a post or looking at pictures
marked KFW, you may be struck by a sudden urge to go out and find yourself a
kitten.

GW = Gross Warning. Cats do many things that seem unappealing to humans,
like killing small animals and disembowelling them on the living room
carpet, regurgitating said small animals or hairballs or grass or -
occasionally - even food. Cat slaves have a compulsive need to speak of
these things, but we want to warn queasy readers about the gory nature of
the post.

TED = The Evil Doctor. The vet from a cat's point of view. Last time I took
Frank to TED, he was so terrified, he cringed each time she touched him. She
said it was one of the tragedies of her profession that all vets love
animals so much, but the animals seldom love them back.

--
Marina

Old October 26th 03, 07:00 AM
Yoj

"Marina" wrote in message

"Alan Erskine" wrote

[...]

This is a pretty comprehensive list. However, with SIL, it is necessary
to look for context, since it can also mean Son-in-Law.

Joy

Old October 26th 03, 10:04 AM
polonca12000

"Stacey Sharpe" wrote in message
Geez. DH and I are both computer geeks (he being a geek-extrordinaire),

yet
this stupid box had us stumped this time! snipLuckily DH pulled all data

files I wanted to his comp over the
network, so I saved all my image files (cats, mostly) and stuff.

I'm so glad you got to keep your image files, this is what I worry most
about losing.

snipHe's peeing regularly, albeit small amounts at a time (7 clumps
yesterday!).

That is a lot, but I guess the good part is that he is peeing, even if it's
just small amounts at a time.

New stuff going on lately to keep us busy anyway, yesterday was our 11

year
anniversary woohoo, and today we had lunch with the MIL and her brother
and SIL in from Texas. snip

Congratulations!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Vet Visit today, possible BW Larry Osborne Cat anecdotes 15 October 27th 03 01:18 AM
Harvey: Back to normal Lots42 The Library Avenger Cat anecdotes 1 October 9th 03 04:34 AM
T&B back home lewe Cat anecdotes 4 September 2nd 03 05:13 AM
yet another foster kitty! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 10 August 12th 03 09:41 PM