I need your sagely advice and wisdom again, people. Declaw or not declaw, that is my question.

Old September 28th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Default I need your sagely advice and wisdom again, people. Declaw or not declaw, that is my question.

Response from "cybercat" :

"-Lost" wrote

Your friend is no friend. Do not mutilate your cat.

I figured that would be the general response. I wonder why it is
recommended at all?

It is recommended for human convenience because many people
cannot be bothered to provide things cats like to scratch better
than furniture and rugs, and so that vets can make money. Ignorance
or pure cruelty can be the only reasons anyone would recommend it.

Pfft. I have learned there is no such thing when you CARE for
animals. Either you love 'em or you do not.

I always try to make sure I pay attention to the ones who are in it
for the loot as well. That is partly why I ask so many questions. I
KNOW I need help! Hahaha!

I was a kid (maybe 23) when I took my first cat in to be
spayed, and they said, "Do you want her declawed too?"
She was a hellion, and I was thinking, just the claws themselves
taken out--I never thought surgical hacking off of the bones in
her toes. I said yes. They ruined her beautiful little feet, she
became anxious, stopped covering her poo, and became a
biter as well. It is horrible, one of the worst things I have been
responsible for in my life. I have two cats now, and provide
scratchers and trim claws--just the tips--monthly. That is all
you need to do.

Ugh, I am sorry you AND your kitty had to go through that.

Did you understand the procedure when you asked this
question?

Nope. And after reading everyone's post it almost made me cry. I
have known a few declawed kitties in my time and never knew it was
like that.

And will you voice your opinion about it to the shelters?

Well, this is going to sound pretty dumb I am sure, but what should I
say? I mean, call back and go, "Hey by the way, the lady who runs
the refuge should stop declawing the cats! It is cruel and not only
physically scars the kitty, but does psychological damage!"

I just do not want to go to jail for threatening/stalking/whatever.
And I have got a temper so if they were to get mouthy about it
instead of talk about it, I would most likely end up cussing them
out.

Maybe I should call from a payphone...

Anyway. The choice was already made, but now it will NEVER have the
possibility to change.

Gabby keeps her claws.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 28th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Please read this before making a decision:

http://www.maxshouse.com/facts_about_declawing.htm

Hugs,

CatNipped

"-Lost" wrote in message
After talking with my friend at the animal hospital for the
thousandth time today, they started mentioning some other things that
I should have done before officially calling Gabby "good to go."

1. Get her spayed - of course, this is already planned.
2. "ridder of critters" they said. Done.
3. Tons more general how to take care of a cat tips. Done.
..
19. Maybe not 19th, but the last thing they said was, "And make sure
to get her declawed." Not so sure about...

Forgive my ignorance on this one, and cat lovers please don't bounce
something off of my head, but I thought as long as you were...

1. Not in fear of your life.
2. Your other animals got along fine with kitty.
3. Kitty uses her abundance of play things and scratching posts,
walls, climbs, and other assorted cat approved claw-holders.
4. Kitty eventually stops chasing you down and attacking you from
behind.

...that you did not have to get a cat declawed. My friend made it
out like it is a must along with spaying an animal.

What's the word cat people?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Old September 28th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "cybercat" :

snip

Assuming this is incorrect, I will explain "shed their claws" to
avoid further confusion. I was told that cats claws were similar
to dogs in that they eventually flake or grow like exoskeletons,
whereby the newer nail underneath pushes the older one off. Or
in the case of a scratching post, helps remove it.

Is that correct?

Just the sheath comes off. You want to get clippers and clip just
the sharp tip so that when you play with your cat, or he/she walks
on carpet etc. the claws don't catch you or it. It is easy and
simple--if your cat does not like
it, get a friend to help you. We used to roll Boo up in a beach
towel, I would hold her with just one foot at a time sticking out,
and soothe her while my husband clipped. Now she just lets us do
it--because she gets a treat afterward.

Ooooh, OK. Just the tips, got it.

Definitely going to try the towel method. When Gabby first came to
us we had to bathe her a time or two to rid her of paint, pests, and
poo (literally). Anyway... after the bath she would literally fall
slick out wrapped in a towel. So she definitely digs it!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 28th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from bobblespin :

With a claw trimmer, just clip the tip of each claw, before the
pink part. Get kitty used to it asap my touching her paws gently
every day so she gets used to her paws being handled. Praise and
talk sweetly the whole time so it becomes a nice experience. If
you don't clip the claws, they can become very long and very sharp
and will hook into everything as they walk and play. Even our
outdoor cat needs to be clipped because walking on grass doesn't
stop them from growing too long.

Do you have a recommendation for one? I was recently reading an
article about using a dremel on doggy toe nails, but I imagine that
Gabby's are too small to use a dremel on.

PLEASE DO NOT DECLAW YOUR CAT. They suffer horribly, even with
pain medication.

Fine by me.

Thanks for the feedback, Bobble.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 28th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

-Lost wrote:
[...]

No, no, no! Don't do it! For some reason, my vet suggested
that when I got Mingy neutered. I was pretty ignorant about
cats then, but I am really happy I read up on that and didn't
allow it.

--
Jean B.
Old September 28th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "CatNipped" :

Please read this before making a decision:

http://www.maxshouse.com/facts_about_declawing.htm

Darn you, CatNipped. I already felt like crying...

Seriously though, thanks for that information. I have already now made
the decision that my kitty keeps her claws, but now I have the reason
why to show my family and my friend who have bad news about (I am going
to post a reply to the main thread about what they said).

Thanks again, CatNipped.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 28th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "Jean B." :

...that you did not have to get a cat declawed. My friend made
it out like it is a must along with spaying an animal.

What's the word cat people?

No, no, no! Don't do it! For some reason, my vet suggested
that when I got Mingy neutered. I was pretty ignorant about
cats then, but I am really happy I read up on that and didn't
allow it.

Oh man, same here! I am so glad I checked with you all first. I have
bad news... see my reply to this thread.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 28th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Well as promised I called today and talked to my friend. The doctor
does in fact recommend getting them declawed. Instead of piece it
together for you, I am going to clean up and copy and paste what I
was able to type out while we talked.

"Hey, Friend. How are you?"
Them: "Good -Lost, you?"

"Ah, so-so. I had a few more questions for you if you do not mind."
Them: "Shoot!"

"I was reading up on some different methods to stop kitty from
clawing everything in sight..."
Them: "Right, I remember..."

"Well, could you explain the entire declawing process and do you
recommend it or does the animal hospital recommend it?"
Them: "Well, first off... how old is kitty?"

"About 3 months give or take a month."
Them: "Well that is the best time to get kitty declawed. In fact, we
have a spay and front claw declawing program with a sterile scalpel
that runs $128. However, we HIGHLY recommend the laser which seals
nerve endings and cauterizes blood vessels. There is no bleeding, it
is less painful for kitty, they have a quicker recovery time and the
risk of infection is drastically reduced. That runs about $205, but
does not include pain management or vaccinations."

"Wow. So, do you recommend I do it? And what does the doctor feel
about it?"
Them: "Well, actually the administrator of both sites recommends it
as does the doctor. I recommend it too if kitty is being destructive
and you simply cannot break her from being destructive. Have you
tried shaking a piggy bank at her or squirting her with a spray
bottle full of water?"

"No. She is not destructive in my opinion."
Them: "Oh. Well, why do you want to get her declawed then?"

"I don't! I was asking if it was recommended."
Them: "Oh, well, yeah, we recommend it. Also, the sooner the better.
We have found that kitties respond much better when they have it done
early on rather than later in life."

"How so?"
Them: "How so what?"

"How do they become used to not having toes?"
Them: "No silly, it does not cut their toes off, only the tips of
them that contain the nail. A lot of people think it cruel in fact
to do it, but then you have some people who have nice things or
leather furniture and whatnot and they do not want their things
ruined. So, what were your other questions?"

"To be honest, I cannot remember what the others were."

At this point I just wanted to get off the phone.

Them: "Well if you are worried about kitty's health afterward we
provide lint-free, dust-free, shredded newspaper-like litter for you,
in fact we call it 'Yesterday's News', so she'll be covered there.
Do you want to set up an appointment?"

"I need to talk it over with my spouse first. I'll let you know."
Them: "OK, -Lost. If you have any other questions feel free and give
us a call."

"All right. Bu-bye."
Them: "Bye."

Also, when I first asked actually, they said "Well, we DO offer the
service." But it quickly went from me thinking, "Oh, maybe they do
not recommend it actually." to "They recommend the hell out of it."

They also mentioned that if she was to be an indoor kitty that I need
not worry about things like her being able to defend herself.

I am seriously disappointed in this animal hospital now.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 28th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "-Lost" :

[...]

And to boot... they told me to check out the Web site for the animal
hospital (just noticed I have been calling it the animal hospital
when it is the veterinary clinic) and when I clicked on services, I
am fairly certain I saw a picture of them actually performing the
laser onychectomy.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 28th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "Sheelagh o" :

De-clawing a cat is like chopping each digit off @ the first
knuckle. Whoever told you it is a must, is either ignorant, or
cruel, yet handing out advice on something they are not fully
informed about. We have endless questions about declawing, & it is
always a passionate subject!

I see that! CatNipped gave me a wonderfully informative article on
it that brought tears to my eyes. I expect it will do the same when
I show the rest of the family when they get home.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but if you are
worride about clawing,

Actually, was not REALLY worried about, only slightly. But I do not
consider her destructive in the least.

I was however under the false impression that it was healthier (for
lack of better word) for the kitty.

there are two products that will help your cat. 1: Lots of
scratching posts to stretch out their full body length,

Done! I have provided her a scratching post, a portable scratching
wall, and also a scratch/climb.

2: & also there is a new product on the market, that evades me
right now (It will come to me @ 4 am no doubt!!), but it is like a
rubber substance that you can paint on all claws, that will stop
the effect of side swiped by your cat who might be waiting to play
pounce with you. You just paint it on like nail polish. I hear it
is very effective. Perhaps someone else could provide a link to
the product I am referring to if they can remember the name of it?
I hope this helps,

Is it this?

http://www.softclaws.com/

This looks promising.