Humidifiers - On Topic

Old January 23rd 09, 04:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

Default Humidifiers - On Topic

Can anyone using a humidifier tell if their Masters benefit from the
moist air? I used one once when Lacey was very ill and stuffy.
Because she was so snotty and drooley I put her in a room with a
humidifier for several days. I don't know if the humidifier or the
antibiotics or the chicken broth helped her the most. She has a bug
again and is sneezing so violently that her nose is bleeding. I
wonder if it has anything to do with the colder weather requiring us
to turn the heat up in the house. I don't notice increased static in
the house but we're thinking about buying a new humidifier to see if
that will help. Of course she'll be going to the vet as soon as they
can take her but if moist air will help her (an not cause Sam's asthma
to flair) then we'll add a humidifier to the mix.

TIA,
Julie and Lacey
Old January 23rd 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"GaDragonfly" wrote

| Can anyone using a humidifier tell if their Masters benefit from the
| moist air?

Well I used to have a nice antique humidifier, a big wooden box with a metal
pan for water and a fan in it, kind of like a portable swamp cooler. The
masters loved it.

Old January 23rd 09, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"GaDragonfly" wrote in message
Can anyone using a humidifier tell if their Masters benefit from the
moist air? I used one once when Lacey was very ill and stuffy.
Because she was so snotty and drooley I put her in a room with a
humidifier for several days. I don't know if the humidifier or the
antibiotics or the chicken broth helped her the most. She has a bug
again and is sneezing so violently that her nose is bleeding. I
wonder if it has anything to do with the colder weather requiring us
to turn the heat up in the house. I don't notice increased static in
the house but we're thinking about buying a new humidifier to see if
that will help. Of course she'll be going to the vet as soon as they
can take her but if moist air will help her (an not cause Sam's asthma
to flair) then we'll add a humidifier to the mix.

TIA,
Julie and Lacey

Shortly after I got Nanki-Poo (RB), he was very ill. I kept him in one room
so he wouldn't infect Lindy. I found that a humidifier in that room helped
immensely. I got one of the cool kind. I forget what they are called, but
there are two kinds of humidifiers. One uses steam and gets quite hot. The
other produces steam, but stays cool, at least on the outside. The latter
is much safer, especially in a room with a cat.

Joy

Old January 24th 09, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

[...]

It even helps a dog or cat with a stuffy nose to put them in a steamy
bathroom for a while. Kind of like you do a baby that is stuffed up
and can't breathe. (Or yourself for that matter)

So I'm quite sure a vaporizer or humidifier would help if dry air is
part of the problem.

Jo

Old January 24th 09, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

Pat wrote:

Well I used to have a nice antique humidifier, a big wooden box with a metal
pan for water and a fan in it, kind of like a portable swamp cooler. The
masters loved it.

Thanks Pat, we're giving it a try and hopefully it will help Lacey.

Joy wrote:
Shortly after I got Nanki-Poo (RB), he was very ill. *I kept him in one room
so he wouldn't infect Lindy. *I found that a humidifier in that room helped
immensely. *I got one of the cool kind. *I forget what they are called, but
there are two kinds of humidifiers. *One uses steam and gets quite hot. *The
other produces steam, but stays cool, at least on the outside. *The latter
is much safer, especially in a room with a cat.

Joy

We bought a cold mist humidifier this evening. I checked the Good
Housekeeping website for reviews and read that the warm mist is
dangerous in households with small children. We live with a Rosco and
believe me, Rosco is much more likely to get into any kind of trouble
than a small child! I'm hoping that the humidifier will help Lacey
with her nose bleeds. I'm sure it won't hurt. Thanks for your
advice.

Julie
Old January 24th 09, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

I use a cool mist humidifer and I think it helps the cats. I know I feel
better with moisture in the air. Our houses get dry with the heat on.

--
Ann
in Connecticut

Old January 24th 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

On 1/24/2009 7:09 AM, Ann wrote:
I use a cool mist humidifer and I think it helps the cats. I know I feel
better with moisture in the air. Our houses get dry with the heat on.

Can't say if it helps with their breathing, but they certainly approve.
Without the humidifier, static electricity is a big problem when I
stroke them, and Emily has a permanent case of "bed hair" :-)

--
Nik Simpson

Way way off topic jofirey Cat anecdotes 4 November 8th 07 10:47 PM
Off Topic, perhaps Robert Berg Cat health & behaviour 4 September 3rd 06 08:51 PM
Almost on topic Adrian A Cat anecdotes 6 May 4th 06 08:50 PM
Hopefully on topic Lots42 Cat anecdotes 9 May 12th 05 10:48 PM
It's on-topic because of #3 Duke of Url Cat anecdotes 1 December 28th 04 07:57 AM