Steroids for cats?

Old October 1st 03, 02:49 AM
Philip ®

In ,
PawsForThought being of bellicose mind
posted:
I think more and more vets are using steroids for allergy
problems. While it will help the symptoms temporarily, it isn't
really helping the cause of the allergies. Steroids can actually
suppress the immune system too. Does the vet have any idea what
your cat might be allergic to and has he advised an elimination
diet at all?

Lauren

Steroids like Prednisone have been used in people for decades to
enhance healing. But, there are side effects (in people) beside
immunosuppression. Steroids also cause sleep loss, increase heart
rate, increase blood pressure, and if taken for a polonged period
will result in bone density loss because calcium is required for
steroid metabolism.
--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Old October 1st 03, 10:30 PM
PawsForThought

From: Ken Knecht

Ken Knecht wrote in
4.206:

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in
:

From: Ken Knecht

I took my cat to the vet today - excessive licking herself
and two dime-sized red spots/sores on her back. The vet
gave her a steroid shot (receipt says Depo-Medrol
injectable) and said the problems should clear up in a few
days.

Anyone have experience with this treatment? This is a new
vet to me - my regular is extremely difficult to see
without a appointment a month or so in the future. I've not
gotten past her phone crew to make an emergency appointment
in the past. Normally this is not a problem as my cats are
rarely ill.

Ken

I think more and more vets are using steroids for allergy
problems. While it will help the symptoms temporarily, it
isn't really helping the cause of the allergies. Steroids
can actually suppress the immune system too. Does the vet
have any idea what your cat might be allergic to

No. He didn't ask. Perhaps a flea infestation I cleared up
seven weeks ago? She had a minor rash in front of her ear
then which I cleared up with Benedryl (sp?) per my regular
vet's suggestion. Some of that allergy may still remain
though as far as I can tell the fleas are long gone. I tried
Benedryl again for two days but it didn't seem to help this
time, and the 'rash' was much worse so I decided a vet visit
was best.

and has he
advised an elimination diet at all?

No. He didn't ask. She eats Select Choice High Factor (high
fiber) food from the regular vet. Very very rarely a few
table scraps when she manages to talk me into it.

Ken

That should be Select _Care_ High Factor. Sorry.

Ken

I would keep my eye on the problem and if it doesn't clear up from the shot
your cat already got, then I would want to know what is causing the allergy so
hopefully you could avoid it. I honestly don't know anything about the food
you're feeding but even if cats have eaten a particular food for a while, they
can develop allergies to it. It can be quite difficult to determine the cause
of an allergy and may take some real detective work. Have you used any new
cleaners in the house, new cat litter?

If the condition doesn't clear up or comes back, then I think it would be worth
it to either take her back to your regular vet, or even find one who is more
familiar with allergies in cats. Good luck and I hope your kitty feels better
soon.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old October 1st 03, 10:30 PM
PawsForThought

From: Ken Knecht

Old October 1st 03, 10:30 PM
PawsForThought

From: Ken Knecht

Old November 11th 03, 01:23 AM
Paige

I don't know if you are still reading this but.... my cat has been having
some sort of allergy problem since July. She has gotten two depomedrol
shots since then.. It has helped tremendously with her scratching and
chewing. It was used only as a last choice though. We've tried the
hypoallergenic diet and she is still on it.

I've read that cats tolerate steroids (their body tolerates it) much better
then dogs, and some cats stay on them all their life.

Paige