Need Advice About Storm Drains

Old November 10th 03, 10:05 PM
PhilipLehigh

Default Need Advice About Storm Drains

Hello,

I have a problem with one of our cats that has just cropped up within
the last week. We have a ~12 year-old cat and at the beginning of
September we moved to a new house about 40 miles away from the house
that he has lived in for 99% of his life.

Everything seemed OK until about a week ago, but since then he has
gotten stuck in the bottom of a storm drain at the end of our culdesac
four times. We've been able to get him out OK, it's a big hassle and
it's happened FOUR TIMES in the last week and is starting to get on
our nerves a little.

He is an outdoor/indoor cat, but he usually sticks close to the house
or stays in the garage or driveway. I haven't seen any big dogs loose
and only one other cat in the new neighborhood, so it doesn't look
like he is being chased into the storm drain.

I live in Arlington, TX, and it has not rained much since we moved the
cats, until the last weekend. We are concerned that we will not
notice him missing one day and a storm will come along, especially
with Winter (such as it is in Texas) coming. He's not the brightest
cat I've ever seen, but you would think he would have learned his
lesson after the second or third time he got stuck down there,
especially the time it started to lightly rain.

It has been suggested that he is nosing around for rats that are in
the drainage system and then just can't get out because of the sheer
drop of about 4 feet that follows the slanted concrete that extends
from the curb. He is an overwieght cat and while he can jump onto a
table, he needs a little more runway than is available in the storm
drain. And with the table he lands on a flat surface rather than one
that would cause him to fall back off.

It has been suggested that we pour ammonia around the drain as a form
of deterrence and to cover the smell of the rats (if that is what he
is doing in the first place). Is this effective? If it is, how have
you done it in the past (ie. spraying or pouring it around the
opening)? If it's not effective, do you have any suggestions for
deterring him from approaching the storm drain opening?

If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Philip
Arlington, TX

Old November 10th 03, 11:10 PM
m. L. Briggs

On 10 Nov 2003 14:05:01 -0800, (PhilipLehigh)
wrote:

[...]

The best advice is to neuter him (if not already done) and keep him in
the house. Remember the old saying "curiosity killed the cat". Those
storm drains look like inviting hiding caves. Whether there are
rats or not, the cat will want to investigate. They will also use the
drains for shelter if frightened. Ferals here freeze to death in the
storm drains in winter. It is up to you whether you want to protect
your cat and there is only one good way to do it. MLB

Old November 11th 03, 02:34 AM
Dave

Interesting comment about cats freezing to death in storm drains. With
Arlington being in north Texas, I know that occasionally in winter it can
get as low as 10 degrees, which would be cold enough to cause great harm, if
not death.

Regarding pouring ammonia around the drain, it is illegal in Texas (and
probably most states) to pour any such substance into the drain or in such a
place that it would run into the drain.

I hope you'll take Briggs' advice and make your kitty an inside cat.

Best of luck -

Dave