Measuring blood pressure

Old November 11th 03, 05:53 PM
Ken Knecht

Default Measuring blood pressure

My vet has me medicating my cat for high blood pressure ($$$$$!).

Seriously, has anyone adapted a regular BP cuff for a cat? The
vet says if I can alter the cuff, I can measure under the base of
her tail. I've played with the cuff but don't see a practical way
to make it small enough. Maybe I need to buy some velcro and
experiment. I'm a poor seamster though.

I'd like to monitor the dosage as I do my own.

Ken

--
Untie the two knots to email me
Old November 11th 03, 06:26 PM
Cathy Friedmann

I was under the distinct impression that a regular cuff sort of bp measuring
device doesn't work for cats. It is important to keep the cat's bp under
control - for ex., blindness (detached retina) can occur if it's high.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old November 12th 03, 05:04 AM
Phil P.

"Ken Knecht" wrote in message
My vet has me medicating my cat for high blood pressure ($$$$$!).

Seriously, has anyone adapted a regular BP cuff for a cat? The
vet says if I can alter the cuff, I can measure under the base of
her tail. I've played with the cuff but don't see a practical way
to make it small enough.

Can't be done. I've tried them all. Human BP monitors just don't work on
cats. You need a Parks 811-B or 812 Doppler ultrasound flow monitor with a
flat infant probe, manometer, and a few 2-3 cm infant cuffs. The disposable
cuffs are cheap (~$7) and can be reused several times without a problem.
The regular cuffs cost about $20 but they have latex bladders that don't
last very long. Three disposable cuffs last a lot longer than one regular
cuff.

The 811-B isn't very expensive - costs about $600 and comes with a choice of
probes. For a cat, you'll want the flat infant probe. You should probably
order a spare probe - probes are cheap ~$100. The probe is used in place of
the stethoscope. I have an 811-B and and a 812 only because I didn't know
about the 812 when I bought the 811-B. The 812 has a recorder output that I
can connect to the input of my electrocardiograph so I can chart the
Doppler signal and have a permanent record.

Cuff fit and placement are very important. If the cuff doesn't fit right,
the readings are useless. Cuffs that are too wide will falsely lower BPM
and cuffs that are too small will falsely increase BPM. You should take at
least 5 measurements to assure the measurements are accurate. Its important
to place the cuff in the same place every time -- different positions will
yield different readings.

Other than the cuffs, the only other piece of equipment you'll need to buy
separately is a sphygmomanometer. Parks carries an excellent German made
Proper manometer for about $100. So you could be up and running for about
$750. Then all you'll need is a whole lot of practice and ideally, a vet to
show you the basics.

At-home BP measurements are almost always more accurate than in-clinic
measurements. The "white coat effect" at the clinic can wreak havoc on BP.
At the clinic, the cat needs about 15-30 minutes in a quite room to become
acclimated and calm down.

Give Parks a call, they're very helpful and will answer all your questions
and even walk you through your first few measurements. Here's their number:
800-547-6427.

The 811-Bs are so inexpensive and easy to learn and use that every vet
should include BP measurements as part of every routine exam.

I'd like to monitor the dosage as I do my own.

Please don't make any adjustments in your cat's dosage based on your BP
measurements without consulting your vet first.

Good Luck.

Phil.

Old November 12th 03, 01:55 PM
Ken Knecht

The digital unit the vet uses has a little cuff that is placed on
the cat's foreleg. So evidently a cuff wotks under some
circumstances.

Ken

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in
:

"Ken Knecht" wrote in message
My vet has me medicating my cat for high blood pressure
($$$$$!).