Flagyl and Loss of Appetite

Old September 13th 03, 06:35 PM
Stacey

Default Flagyl and Loss of Appetite

My vet prescribed Flagyl for my cat who is showing signs of IBD. He wanted
to try that out before going to prednisone. It seems to me that since
Sebastian has been on Flagyl his appetite has decreased. He shows interest
in food then only eats a little. His appetite was better even with the IBD
prior to taking the Flagyl. I did a little research and found that Flagyl
can cause a decrease in appetite but it isn't common, or?

Have any of you experienced loss of appetite with your cat when s/he was on
Flagyl? I don't know if it is coincidence or if the Flagyl is causing it.
I will be calling the vet on Monday.

Thank you,

Stacey

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cultivate modesty in the midst of good fortune,

-Tirukkural 97:963

Old September 13th 03, 08:21 PM
Mary

Have any of you experienced loss of appetite with your cat when s/he was on
Flagyl? I don't know if it is coincidence or if the Flagyl is causing it.
I will be calling the vet on Monday.

Flagyl can cause loss of appetite. I just googled flagyl and side effect and
got the below. Also antibiotics can kill the good bacteria, gut flora, which
makes it tough to digest food. You might want to give your cat some probiotics,
bene-bac sold at Petco..

Common Side Effects

Check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are
bothersome:

Diarrhea
dizziness or lightheadedness
headache
loss of appetite
nausea or vomiting
stomach pain or cramps
Less frequent or rare
Check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are
bothersome:

change in taste sensation
dryness of mouth
unpleasant or sharp metallic taste
Check With Your Doctor
Less common
any vaginal irritation, discharge, or dryness not present before use of this
medicine
clumsiness or unsteadiness
mood or other mental changes
skin rash, hives, redness, or itching
sore throat and fever
stomach and back pain (severe)
For injection form
Pain, tenderness, redness, or swelling over vein in which the medicine is given

Notify Doctor Immediately
Less common
numbness, tingling, pain, or weakness in hands or feet
Rare
convulsions (seizures)

Other Notes
Metronidazole (flagyl) may cause dark urine in some patients. This is temporary
and will go away when you stop taking this medicine.

Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. If you
notice any other effects, check with your doctor. This information is meant
only as a guideline - always consult a physician or pharmacist for complete
information about prescription medications.

Old September 14th 03, 09:15 PM
Cheryl

In ink.net,
Stacey composed with style:
My vet prescribed Flagyl for my cat who is showing signs of IBD.
He wanted to try that out before going to prednisone. It seems to
me that since Sebastian has been on Flagyl his appetite has
decreased. He shows interest in food then only eats a little. His
appetite was better even with the IBD prior to taking the Flagyl.
I did a little research and found that Flagyl can cause a decrease
in appetite but it isn't common, or?

Have any of you experienced loss of appetite with your cat when
s/he was on Flagyl? I don't know if it is coincidence or if the
Flagyl is causing it. I will be calling the vet on Monday.

I believe Flagyl causes the digestive system to slow down. My cat is
on it for IBD and while he still has chronic diarrhea, I've noticed
that he doesn't have the volume of diarrhea that he has without it.
What symptoms of IBD does your cat have? There are many.

Old September 14th 03, 09:15 PM
Cheryl

In ink.net,
Stacey composed with style:

Old September 14th 03, 09:15 PM
Cheryl

In ink.net,
Stacey composed with style:

Old September 14th 03, 10:09 PM
Stacey

My vet prescribed Flagyl for my cat who is showing signs of IBD.
He wanted to try that out before going to prednisone. It seems to
me that since Sebastian has been on Flagyl his appetite has
decreased. He shows interest in food then only eats a little. His
appetite was better even with the IBD prior to taking the Flagyl.
I did a little research and found that Flagyl can cause a decrease
in appetite but it isn't common, or?

Have any of you experienced loss of appetite with your cat when
s/he was on Flagyl? I don't know if it is coincidence or if the
Flagyl is causing it. I will be calling the vet on Monday.

I believe Flagyl causes the digestive system to slow down. My cat is
on it for IBD and while he still has chronic diarrhea, I've noticed
that he doesn't have the volume of diarrhea that he has without it.
What symptoms of IBD does your cat have? There are many.

He threw up twice two weeks ago had had runny poops. There was a little
brownish-pink poo on his butt. I called the vet and was told to watch him
for signs of obstruction. This past week had runny poops and a slight loss
of appetite. I saw a spot of blood next to the litter box. That was when I
made an appt. for him and was given the prescription for Flagyl. He has had
it on occasion, the worst was when his co-cat Cygne died in late '98 and
loss 1/10 of his body weight. I had a major upset two weeks ago and wonder
if that upset him and brought it back. I'm glad to be bringing him to rule
out lymphoma.

Stacey