Week one of school: Partly OT

Old August 21st 05, 09:54 PM
Pamela Shirk

Default Week one of school: Partly OT

Well, I survived the first "week" of college. I'd forgotten how exhausting
it can be to attend two or three classes a day. I've been coming home,
doing any homework, then crashing until the next day. Eating has been done
with a pencil in one hand and a fork in the other.

So far math has been easy, but then it's all been review, and I haven't been
tossed back thoroughly into the cesspool of equations. The most time
consuming class, so far, has been critical thinking, which expects me to
outline the forward and first chapter of our text book by Tuesday. ACK!!!!
I don't know if I remember how to outline anything. My brain is already
being fried and I'm in panic mode.

Cat related spot...one of our neighbors brought down an 10-12 week old
kitten on Wednesday, right after I got home from school. Gracie, as the
kitten was named, was supposedly found wandering in the middle of the road
near a luxury housing development. I don't think so, but promised to do
what I could to find her a good home. The next day, Gracie was adopted by
one of the members of my freecycle group and is in a happy situation, with
her own health plan, special kitten goodies, and lots of toys. I grilled
Gracie's new slave for a while before letting her take on such a little
white and black splotted beauty. The new slave had to have her last cat put
down back in January due to an incurable disease. Gracie fell in love with
both of her new staff members right away. No children, two d-things who are
used to cats, and daddy is in the army so has pretty good job security. I'm
comfortable with the decision, although I did fall in love with the little
girl. She was so adorable, like our own Gracie, who posts in this group,
though not often enough.

Next week (tomorrow) is our first full week of school. Mike, Jim
(daughter's boyfriend) and I are carpooling, so we have to work out with
each other's schedules. So far it hasn't been too hard, but we still have
to do some adjusting.

Rob is happy not to have anyone keeping him awake while we're gone. I worry
about him, but am hoping that we can get him situated so that he is
comfortable. Mandy starts back in High School on Thursday. She's supposed
to be a senior this year, but she has to pass everything with flying colors.
She's smart enough, but tends to give up on herself halfway though the
semester. I have a sneaking suspicion that she'll be doing high school for
a while next year, but won't tell her that.

Pam S. who hopes that the cats won't tell Mandy what I think

--
http://www.mousertails.blogspot.com
Mouser Tails: The voyages of the Mouser

I'm not bad...I'm just written that way

Old August 21st 05, 10:16 PM
Takayuki

"Pamela Shirk" wrote:

So far math has been easy, but then it's all been review, and I haven't been
tossed back thoroughly into the cesspool of equations. The most time
consuming class, so far, has been critical thinking, which expects me to
outline the forward and first chapter of our text book by Tuesday. ACK!!!!
I don't know if I remember how to outline anything. My brain is already
being fried and I'm in panic mode.

As a teacher, I'm sure you've seen examples of outlines before. It
was probably around 4th grade that they started making us write long
reports, and we were taught how to outline things hierarchically. And
most textbooks follow strict outlines, which they often even show
explictly in their tables of contents, which can be useful for you.

Mandy starts back in High School on Thursday. She's supposed
to be a senior this year, but she has to pass everything with flying colors.
She's smart enough, but tends to give up on herself halfway though the
semester.

I'd worry less about that if she's a senior. Back when I was in HS,
all seniors were known to get "senioritis" in their last semester,
because they've already sent their school transcripts to the colleges,
so there wasn't any incentive for them to keep up their grades.
Teachers knew this and tended to become lenient with their seniors in
their final semesters.

Old August 22nd 05, 12:11 AM
Victor Martinez

Pamela Shirk wrote:
doing any homework, then crashing until the next day. Eating has been done
with a pencil in one hand and a fork in the other.

As long as you don't start chewing on your pencil, that's ok.

used to cats, and daddy is in the army so has pretty good job security. I'm
comfortable with the decision, although I did fall in love with the little
girl. She was so adorable, like our own Gracie, who posts in this group,
though not often enough.

Excellent!

Thanks for the update, I'm really happy for you and proud of you.

Victor

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 22nd 05, 06:29 PM
polonca12000

I'm sure you'll get back into the studying part really soon, Pam. Thank you
for taking such good care of Gracie.
Lots of purrs and best wishes for you and the rest of the family,
--
Polonca & Soncek

ink.net...

Old August 27th 05, 04:26 PM
SuzQ

The first week of school is the hardest. One of the advantages of being a
mature ;o) student is that you're there by choice so you are motivated. I
hope you get Rob sorted. Is visiting Nurse an option? They have people who
are aides who could come in for an hour or 2 and give him a meal and meds
and just generally check up on him.
Suz&Spicey

Old August 27th 05, 09:21 PM
Pamela Shirk

"SuzQ" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
The first week of school is the hardest. One of the advantages of being a
mature ;o) student is that you're there by choice so you are motivated. I
hope you get Rob sorted. Is visiting Nurse an option? They have people who
are aides who could come in for an hour or 2 and give him a meal and meds
and just generally check up on him.
Suz&Spicey

Rob can generally take care of himself. The problem is when he decides to
go somewhere on his own, or cooks on the stove. He has promised, and has
been keeping that promise, not to use the stove. Friday, I drug him to
school with me, as I'm the only one who has classes that day. He sat in the
school cafeteria while I was in class and read. Between classes, I joined
him and he got a chance to meet a couple of the friends I've made. I've
also been using him as a spring board for my story telling class, practicing
telling stories with him, and am using him to help with my math class. I
figure that, if I can explain it so that Rob understands it, I'm going to be
able to do ok in the class. Rob was one of those people who had an
instinctive ability and enjoyed doing math. I was doing review of basic
mathematic principles, and he couldn't understand what I was doing. I
didn't realize it was that bad until Friday.

Most of the day Rob is alone from 7:45 am to 3:30 pm. I keep my cell phone
on me, and Rob has all the emergency numbers for the school. I call him
between classes and make sure that he doesn't need anything. I don't know
what I'd do if he did, though. If his health goes down hill, I'll be
looking into getting him an aide, or putting him into a day care situation.
Right now, he feels as if we were treating him like a small child. I think
that he'd change his mind if he were to see all the stuff that is available
for him to do. I'm also thinking about getting him to volunteer at the
cancer center at least one day a week.

Week two of school was busy. I have 3 chapters to outline for Critical
Thinking, a Math test to study for as well as the regular assignment to do,
the weekly Biology study packet to work on, need to come up with five or six
impromptu stories for my story telling class, need to practice my first
major story for story telling class, have to read and do the exercises for
the first chapter of student success (my own fault, I said that I wanted to
take it, even after the school have waived it) class, and have to work on
projects for math and have to re-organize my note books, since I am bundling
my notes up. I feel busy.

Huey has been keeping me company as is Tanada. She gets really upset when
she can't find a place to hang her butt on my book case. Qui Gun Kit has
been chasing Sonya all over the house again. AND no one has dumped any
kittens on me this week. Life is good.

Pam S. who is having a ball with school, really

Old August 27th 05, 10:06 PM
Annie Wxill

"Pamela Shirk" wrote in message
ink.net...

...AND no one has dumped any kittens on me this week. Life is good.

Pam S. who is having a ball with school, really

Hang in there, Pam. You are incredible.
Best wishes to Rob, too.
Supporting hugs to you all.
Annie

Old August 27th 05, 10:25 PM
Susan M

Way to go Pam - you are inspiring with your sense of humour, your devotion
to your family, furry and bare, and your strength of will to get this done.

Susan M
Otis and Chester