"Best by" dates

Old July 15th 04, 09:42 AM
-L. :

dgk wrote in message . ..
That's an interesting point and I thank you. But I've read elsewhere
that it is a good idea to leave out dry food and let them snack since
many small meals is preferable to a few large ones. Every time I learn
something someone comes along and reverses it.

It isn't like they're eating crappy dry food. Ok, I'm open to
suggestions. Dry food as desired or make them eat the wet food 12
hours apart.

I do both. My cats free-feed chow and get canned AM and PM. We (our
family) have always fed that way, and will continue to always feed
that way. Have never had a diabetic cat, nor a cat with any chronic
health issues (not that doing so prevents such problems, just that so
far, haven't had any adverse problems). Have had prolly 10-12
permanent cats between us over the last 40 years.

-L.
Old July 16th 04, 03:37 PM
GAUBSTER2

One of the things that won me over about
Wellness canned food is the way it smells. It doesn't stink! Also, the
ingredients are human-grade and there is no by-product of anything. Have
you ever wondered what a by-product is?

Kelly, anybody can make the claim that their food is "human-grade". There is
no definition for what that term means and it isn't regulated. It is just a
emotional marketing tool.

By-product is not neccessarily a bad thing either. Do you ever eat jello or
ever had beef bouillon? Those are by-products, too. Depending on the quality
of "by-product", it might be a desirable ingredient. Cats eat things in the
wild that are considered "by-product". Internal organs are considered
by-product, btw. Vitamin E is a by-product. Why do you think that
"by-product" is such a bad thing. It is simply an industry term that
encompasses a wide range of ingredients. Some are good and some are bad.

That means the crap that is left
over from processing every usable morsel of the cow or chicken.

No, that's not what it means.

I'll probably be opening up a whole can of worms with this one, but I've
never found a satisfactory answer one way or the other about rendered pets
in commercial pet food.

That is an outright myth. "Rendered pets" aren't found in commercial pet
foods, just bone meal for gardens. The FDA did a pair of studies a couple of
summers ago testing for the presence of cat and dog DNA in commercial pet foods
and there was absolutely ZERO EVIDENCE. None, nada, zip, zilch.

So, I tend to err on the side of caution and I'll
stick with a cat food that I'm certain has no renderings in it.

How can you be so certain about Old Mother Hubbard?? A company that misleads
the consumer with labels that have no meaning such as "human grade ingredients"
and insinuating that by-products are bad by "not" having them in a food they
make....can you really trust them? How many nutritionists work for them? Do
they stick to a "fixed formula"? Do they "outsource" the production of their
foods? Have you even asked yourself any of these questions?

Old July 16th 04, 11:36 PM
---MIKE---

Kelly, you should be aware that Gaubster2, while she doesn't actually
work for Hills, is a great promoter of their products. Almost anything
else is inferior in her eyes

---MIKE---