Bad Behavior HELP

Old May 27th 05, 02:14 AM

Default Bad Behavior HELP

I have a neutered Tom cat that is having some behavior problems to the
degree of I have thought about the fact that I may have to put him to
sleep. Before I have to face that I would like to find out if there is
some other way of helping him change his behavior so after reading my
questions if you would be so kind to e mail me with your suggestions we
would really really appreciate it.

Buddy Boy is his name and the problem is that Buddy likes to hunt. This
includes hunting his two other housemates. When they are digging to use
the bathroom or covering it up and if they are playing, running ect.
pretty much any kind of fast movement he feels the need to chase them
and either bite them on the bottom or top of their neck. It's always
their neck. I find scabs on one of his housemates (Miggett)neck all the
time. Even at that Miggett never makes a sound when Buddy does this to
him.

Another problem with Buddy is he is aggressive to humans but only when
he wants to be left alone, you tell him no, you pick him up and he does
not want you to pick him up, pretty much when he does not get what he
wants. Now keep in mind he is so Tom and has so much pride being a male
that he really reminds me of a lion in the wild but a small cat
version. (don't laugh, I'm serious lol)

Last but not least when I tell him no or tell him he is a bad boy after
he does something and one of the other cats are close to him at all he
lashes out at them by either trying to bite them or slap them normally
in the face.

I really need help, if you can help at all please e mail me.

Old May 28th 05, 06:58 PM
Scott Davis

[...]

I have similar problems. I have two furballs. "Tarball" is 2.5 year
old fixed male, first in the apartment. "Ciggie" is 8 yr old fixed
female, runt, submissive, lotsa love.

The only thing that's outright unacceptable in kitty-behaviour is
"more-than-playing" violence, right? i.e. Biting that breaks the skin,
etc..

It took me about 16 months to train Tarball off'a attacking me -- after
I brought him home from the local shelter. He's a real spaz case. I
honestly think he has some kind of kittie-ADD. Kittie ritalin would be
great -- but lacking that, I just use copious application of the
water-spray bottle when he attacks.

I also re-enforce good behaviour whenever possible.. Lots of special
petting, talking to, etc.. for the evil wee *******.

I've applied negative and positive re-enforcement to modify Tarball's
extremely aggressive behaviour.

I'm occasionally worried that I am too harsh when I discipline him --
but then again, I remember the first 6 months, when I would be bitten
badly enough to draw blood on MY face, head, hands and arms at all hours
of the night. (and day). .. no kidding, he'd attack me at 3:15 a.m.,
while I was sleeping .. and draw blood.

Spray the **** out of your Tom. Teach him that you love him -- and that
trying to kill the other cat(s) or you is not acceptable.

You must be consistent.

No giggling when he attacks some human friend. No petting to stop him
attacking the other cats. Negative re-enforcement can be yelling,
water-spraying and physical pushing. Not slapping or punching --
picking up and removing from the scene of the crime, eh?

Works for me. Good luck to you.

-- Scott.

Scott Davis, 45 Dunfield Av, Unit 2117
Self-Employed Toronto, ON, Canada, M4S 2H4
Tech Consultant Mobile. (416) 432-4334

The IP addrs I use to post all UseNet:
66.207.215.240/29
Old May 29th 05, 12:25 AM
Alison

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a neutered Tom cat that is having some behavior problems to

the
degree of I have thought about the fact that I may have to put him

sleep. Before I have to face that I would like to find out if there

is
some other way of helping him change his behavior so after reading

my
questions if you would be so kind to e mail me with your suggestions

we
would really really appreciate it.

There is a web based behaviour forum that will give you some advice
to help change your cats behaviour . I will e.mail you the details.
Alison