Meet The New Kid

Old August 2nd 10, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral[_2_]

Default Meet The New Kid

Well folks, two months after saying my sad farewell to Nina and after
an intensive period of home improvement (My landlord sprang for new
carpets and linoleum) in July, I found myself a new owner, yesterday.
I went to the Silicon Valley Humane Society at its new location, (as
opposed to their old location in Santa Clara City) and came home with
a 2 month and 2 week old gray tabby male kitten.I have to say that the
Humane Society is much improved--it used to be like Dog and Cat jail;
now it's more like dog and cat day care--much more pleasant for the
animals and people.(He's been neutered already, and I'm POSITIVE he's
not pregnant!) He complained all the way home--from ten steps out the
Humane society door to the time I unlocked my door at home.

There were several kittens there I could have learned to love, but
this little guy started purring as soon as I started stroking him.
I've decided to name him Dmitri.(It sounds a little like Nina without
giving her name away.) He's got a woolly kitten coat of pale gray with
slightly darker gray mackeral tabby markings; he looks kind of like he
was painted in a fog bank. =o) Francesca's markings are very distinct;
Dmitri's have softer edges so that the dark and light areas kind of
melt together. He has rings all the way up his long tail. He has a
very sweet "tabby" face, with a distinct "M on his forehead and the
light spectacle markings around his eyes which could turn green or
gold in adulthood--I'm not sure what he'll end up with. He has a
white chin and lower cheeks, the front of his throat is white as is a
little necktie of white down his chest and an adorable spotty tummy.
I don't have pictures yet as my camera inconsiderately needed its
battery charged. I'll post links when I do have them. Like all
kittens, he has two speeds; high octane and flopped over for a long,
long nap. =o) He continues to be very vocal and not at all shy with
his opinions.

Francesca is not at all pleased about this development; she says very
rude things to Dmitri! They've been trading hisses since I brought
him home, but have not done anything worse than hiss at each other.
I'm watching them when they're together, but otherwise playing it
cool and letting them get used to one another. Dmitri is good at
standing his ground, and also at the strategic, submissive flop onto
his back when Cesca starts sounding like a witch's familiar. I get
the feeling that Francesca's establishing herself as Senior Top Cat
so he'd better mind his manners rather than telling Dmitri she plans
to turn him into luncheon meat as soon as my back is turned. I had to
go do some errands this afternoon, and they didn't appear to have done
any fighting while I was gone.

Melissa
Owned by Francesca and now Dmitri
Old August 2nd 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Shiral wrote:
Well folks, two months after saying my sad farewell to Nina and after
an intensive period of home improvement (My landlord sprang for new
carpets and linoleum) in July, I found myself a new owner, yesterday.
I went to the Silicon Valley Humane Society at its new location, (as
opposed to their old location in Santa Clara City) and came home with
a 2 month and 2 week old gray tabby male kitten.I have to say that the
Humane Society is much improved--it used to be like Dog and Cat jail;
now it's more like dog and cat day care--much more pleasant for the
animals and people.(He's been neutered already, and I'm POSITIVE he's
not pregnant!) He complained all the way home--from ten steps out the
Humane society door to the time I unlocked my door at home.

Oh, Francesca came from the same place?

[...]

They sound like they're getting along well so far, and that Dmitri is
being well mannered with Cesca. No kitty can replace poor Nina, but I
hope that these two will become good friends.
Old August 2nd 10, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Shiral wrote:
[...]

Some scent transfer might help. Best wishes. MLB
Old August 2nd 10, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
Shiral typed:
[...]

What wonderful news! Can't wait to see the pics. Grey tabbies are very close
to my heart.

Yowie

Old August 2nd 10, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

"Shiral" wrote in message
[...]

Dimitri sounds absolutely, adorably, darling! And you sound like you have a
crush, sliding downhill fast into love. It couldn't be better, and I'm
happy for both of you, and for Francesca who will soon wonder what she ever
did without the young whippersnapper.

Sometimes I think they fuss and fight for our benefit and as soon as they
are alone they start planning their strategy, then take a well deserved nap.

It's great to hear that your Humane Society was brought up a few notches.
Mine is still pretty archaic, but the people make it as good as they can for
the animals, and that makes a huge difference.
Karla

Old August 2nd 10, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Shiral wrote:

Well folks, two months after saying my sad farewell to Nina and after
an intensive period of home improvement (My landlord sprang for new
carpets and linoleum) in July, I found myself a new owner, yesterday.

Ooh, exciting!!

I went to the Silicon Valley Humane Society at its new location, (as
opposed to their old location in Santa Clara City) and came home with
a 2 month and 2 week old gray tabby male kitten.I have to say that the
Humane Society is much improved--it used to be like Dog and Cat jail;
now it's more like dog and cat day care--much more pleasant for the
animals and people.

I'm pretty sure I've been there, but just once. I had just moved to
the area, and my indoor-only cat got out and went missing. A co-worker
brought me to that shelter the first day she went missing to see if
they had her, and the sight of all those cats and kittens in cages
made me almost burst into tears, since I was already upset. Fortunately
I got a call later that day, that the manager at the apartment complex
(a cat lover herself) had found her on the grounds - whew!

The shelter was really dumpy and depressing the time I was there.

(He's been neutered already, and I'm POSITIVE he's not pregnant!)

LOL! But who knows what surprises he has in store for you.

[...]

Can't wait to see them! He sounds adorable.

Francesca is not at all pleased about this development; she says very
rude things to Dmitri! They've been trading hisses since I brought
him home, but have not done anything worse than hiss at each other.
I'm watching them when they're together, but otherwise playing it
cool and letting them get used to one another. Dmitri is good at
standing his ground, and also at the strategic, submissive flop onto
his back when Cesca starts sounding like a witch's familiar. I get
the feeling that Francesca's establishing herself as Senior Top Cat
so he'd better mind his manners rather than telling Dmitri she plans
to turn him into luncheon meat as soon as my back is turned. I had to
go do some errands this afternoon, and they didn't appear to have done
any fighting while I was gone.

It sounds like they'll adjust to each other. Kittens are easier to
integrate into an established household. I hope they become great
friends!

Joyce

--
Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur. -- Paul Gallico
Old August 2nd 10, 06:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Aug 1, 5:40*pm, Shiral wrote:
[...]

Congrats on the new owner!

Francesca's reaction is similar to when i fostered Nick the bitty. He
LOVED to pounce on Mayhem's fluffy tail, and every day she would make
it VERY clear that he was NOT welcome. I once caught Nick chasing her
up the cat tree. Once Mayhem got to the top she spun around and
clocked Nick upside the head and he fell a good four feet to the floor
where he bounced like bitties do and then shook his head ready for
more.

I expect pics and detailed stories of the hoolikitten!

hugs,

Kristi

Old August 2nd 10, 10:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Shiral wrote:
[...]

He sounds adorable, will we be seeing pictures any time soon?

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Two Lumps meet Mischief[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 August 8th 09 08:07 PM
(OT) Meet Annie Magic Mood Jeep Cat anecdotes 4 January 30th 08 04:19 AM
OT Meet Gus Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 2 October 23rd 05 08:01 PM
Going to meet the baby Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 18 July 6th 05 01:24 AM
Meet Sonya Tanada Cat anecdotes 26 January 24th 05 08:18 PM