Pregnant feral cat update

Old April 27th 05, 06:37 AM
Candace

CatNipped wrote:

She doesn't know much about *anything*, but that doesn't stop her

from
spouting off about it like she does!

Yawwwwwn, Ms. Dale Carnegie.

Old April 27th 05, 07:26 AM
-L.

Philip wrote:
You don't know much about deer and wolf populations!

Natural selection will take them down to sustainable levels (yes, I
know it's not pretty, but nothing dies easy). The problem with deer is
easy access to crops.

My old boss was a deer hunter. We argued about this all the time. I
actually don't have much problem with people who hunt to eat. It's the
only true way to be a carnivore, IMO. I just don't like the *concept*
of hunting (among other things associated with it). And I have an
aversion to firearms.

-L.

Old April 28th 05, 03:23 AM
Mary

"Candace" wrote in message
ups.com...
CatNipped wrote:

She doesn't know much about *anything*, but that doesn't stop her

from
spouting off about it like she does!

Yawwwwwn, Ms. Dale Carnegie.

Is that one of those people you old folks like?
Or don't?

Old April 28th 05, 04:56 AM
Candace

Mary wrote:

Is that one of those people you old folks like?
Or don't?

It's a non-entity, imo. Ask your friend, CN. She's the one blathering
about all the Dale Carnegie courses she took and awards she won from
them on her resume posted on the internet for all the world to see.
But then I knew she was a little retro from her obsession with Mensa.
She should be on "That 70's show."

Old April 28th 05, 05:19 AM

-L. wrote:
Philip wrote:
You don't know much about deer and wolf populations!

Natural selection will take them down to sustainable levels (yes, I
know it's not pretty, but nothing dies easy). The problem with deer

is
easy access to crops.

My old boss was a deer hunter. We argued about this all the time. I
actually don't have much problem with people who hunt to eat. It's

the
only true way to be a carnivore, IMO. I just don't like the

*concept*
of hunting (among other things associated with it). And I have an
aversion to firearms.

-L.

Oh, yeah, all those deer hunters who claim they & their families love
venison. Apparently they luuvv it so much, the processing plant had to
start asking for cash up front to process a deer this year. Reason
being, in the past, nearly half of the people who dropped off dead deer
for processing never picked up the meat. BS. They just want to kill
something. I love it when they accidentally shoot each other.
I don't get it. I honestly don't. Even bird hunting. The only saving
grace to bird hunting is the dogs are having a great time, they're
probably penned up the entire rest of the year. But freezing your ass
off in a deer stand waiting on something to shoot at isn't my idea of a
high time.

Sherry

Sherry

Old April 28th 05, 05:35 AM
-L.

Oh, yeah, all those deer hunters who claim they & their families love
venison. Apparently they luuvv it so much, the processing plant had

start asking for cash up front to process a deer this year. Reason
being, in the past, nearly half of the people who dropped off dead

deer
for processing never picked up the meat.

Oh Jeez. My boss actually ate his - dressed them himself and
everything.

BS. They just want to kill
something. I love it when they accidentally shoot each other.

LOL...as do I. Natural selection.

I don't get it. I honestly don't. Even bird hunting. The only saving
grace to bird hunting is the dogs are having a great time, they're
probably penned up the entire rest of the year. But freezing your ass
off in a deer stand waiting on something to shoot at isn't my idea of

high time.

Well, mine either, but evidently it gtes someone off. I feel sorry for
the dogs, actually. Most of them aren't treated as pets.

-L.

Old April 28th 05, 08:08 AM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...

-L. wrote:
Philip wrote:
[...]

God, that is really disgusting.

BS. They just want to kill
something. I love it when they accidentally shoot each other.

I love that part too.

Old April 28th 05, 09:58 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 03:08:52 -0400, "Mary" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

-L. wrote:
Philip wrote:
[...]

I don't see why you and Lyn don't get along. You both sound like
extreme radical PETA types.

Charlie

Old April 28th 05, 01:19 PM
Philip

Diane L. Schirf wrote:
The Chicago Tribune did an article once about the four stages of a
hunter's life. During the first stage, they buy the best gun, best
camouflage, and best equipment and so forth. They shoot the limit
during each season.

By the third stage, IIRC, they may or may not kill something.

By the time of the fourth stage, they may or may not take a gun along.
If they do, chances are they won't even load it. They enjoy the walk
and the experience. "Hunting" has become secondary.

IIRC, a sociologist observed this, and I had to laugh because most
hunters I've known for years have been exactly. They go out every year
and come back talking about the bird species they saw!

"Let's not ... and say we did" Or fishermen stories about "the one that
got away." ;^)

Old April 28th 05, 02:09 PM
kaeli

In article .com,
enlightened us with...

I don't get it. I honestly don't. Even bird hunting. The only saving
grace to bird hunting is the dogs are having a great time, they're
probably penned up the entire rest of the year. But freezing your ass
off in a deer stand waiting on something to shoot at isn't my idea of

high time.

Well, mine either, but evidently it gtes someone off. I feel sorry for
the dogs, actually. Most of them aren't treated as pets.

And whose working dogs do you know that gave you this impression?
(I hate vast generalizations...)

Speaking only from my experience, the working dogs I know have a better life
than many companion dogs who are stuck inside all day, alone, while their
owners are off working. They may even be "crated" in the interest of saving
the owners' couch and carpet.
They are then relegated to the yard to "play" (alone) while the owners cook
dinner. Then they come inside for a whole hour or so of interaction before
it's time to "go out" again, then it's bedtime.

I'm not saying that all people are like this, as they certainly are not. And
I'm not saying all working dogs are treated well.
But all working dogs aren't stuck in little cages all day and ignored,
either. Many of them live more fulfilling and happy lives than pet dogs. The
ones I know (hunting dogs, not herders or flock guardians) are worked and
trained all year 'round (you don't get that level of training and obedience
from locking it up all year!) and get more interaction with their owners than
any pet dog I know. They also live indoors, cageless, as they're too tired
from working, training, and playing to get into trouble.

It's about the quality of life for the animal in general, not what it is used
for (work vs companionship). There are pet dogs with crappy lives and working
dogs with crappy lives. But to say something like you feel sorry for most
working dogs really is a blanket statement that is disparaging to the people
who treat their working dogs well.

My 2 cents, as always.

~kaeli~
Acupuncture is a jab well done.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Update on feral cat and kitten Ar Fai Ve Cat rescue 6 March 4th 05 02:28 AM
Feral purrs update Dan M Cat anecdotes 8 July 4th 04 01:53 PM
Scapegoats and Feral Cats James Marz Cat health & behaviour 4 May 29th 04 03:06 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM
Update on Smudge, the feral kitty Junebug Cat anecdotes 7 January 25th 04 09:36 AM