contacting news group

Old August 11th 11, 01:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Default contacting news group

With this new Windows 7 I suspect I am not getting our news group although I
installed it and have one message from yesterday (Wednesday).

Barb

Old August 11th 11, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Okay, I see my message posted. Had heard that Windows 7 is not compatible
with news groups.

Barb

Old August 11th 11, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_4_]

On 08/11/2011 06:46 AM, Barb wrote:
With this new Windows 7 I suspect I am not getting our news group
although I installed it and have one message from yesterday (Wednesday).

Barb

IMHO This group is dying. Your two posts showed up. There were two
yesterday and that is all I have seen. MLB
Old August 12th 11, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

MLB wrote:
On 08/11/2011 06:46 AM, Barb wrote:
With this new Windows 7 I suspect I am not getting our news group
although I installed it and have one message from yesterday
(Wednesday). Barb

IMHO This group is dying. Your two posts showed up. There were two
yesterday and that is all I have seen. MLB

This group will not die as long as there are cats and people who love
them. - And that will be for a long, long time.....

Old August 12th 11, 01:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 23:00:53 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

MLB wrote:
On 08/11/2011 06:46 AM, Barb wrote:
With this new Windows 7 I suspect I am not getting our news group
although I installed it and have one message from yesterday
(Wednesday). Barb

IMHO This group is dying. Your two posts showed up. There were two
yesterday and that is all I have seen. MLB

This group will not die as long as there are cats and people who love
them. - And that will be for a long, long time.....

Newsgroups as a whole are dying because of various forums and facebook
and such. But as long as some of us use it, it will still be here
until the corporations decide that they don't want to spend money on
it. My ISP used to have their own newgroup servers but they ditched
them and made anyone who wanted to use them use Giganews. Well, they
got us a discount for Giganews.
Old August 12th 11, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Yes, I had googled and learned that other sources are taking the place of
newsgroups. I'd been in this group along time and really hate to give it
up. I don't do facebook or twitter and don't know what forums are replacing
this nice newsgroup.

Barb

Old August 12th 11, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, Barb exclaimed (8/12/2011 10:33 AM):
Yes, I had googled and learned that other sources are taking the place
of newsgroups. I'd been in this group along time and really hate to give
it up. I don't do facebook or twitter and don't know what forums are
replacing this nice newsgroup.

Barb

Yea. One of the other usenet groups I am active in has started a
Facebook page. Even though I was hoping it wouldn't happen, many of the
posters who've gone to FB post a lot less on the newsgroup now. It's
sad, in a way, I can remember when that ng got a couple hundred posts a
day... now it might see a dozen. Busier than this group, but still.

All my groups are seeing a decrease in posting, which is not helped by
ISPs also dropping support for newsgroups as part of getting service.

jmc
Old August 13th 11, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Barb wrote:
Yes, I had googled and learned that other sources are taking the
place of newsgroups. I'd been in this group along time and really
hate to give it up. I don't do facebook or twitter and don't know
what forums are replacing this nice newsgroup.

Barb

Well, you, (and anyone else) can always talk about cats with me. My email
address is good as it stands. As near as I can tell, any group of people can
get together and form their own "newsgroup" to talk about anything they want
to talk about.

Old August 13th 11, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Okay, thanks!

Barb
Old August 14th 11, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"dgk" wrote in message

Newsgroups as a whole are dying because of various forums and facebook
and such. But as long as some of us use it, it will still be here
until the corporations decide that they don't want to spend money on
it. My ISP used to have their own newgroup servers but they ditched
them and made anyone who wanted to use them use Giganews. Well, they
got us a discount for Giganews.

I read on another Forum that all the ISP's stopped providing Usenet NGs
because of the cost and time involved with people complaining about out
people and spammers.