contacting news group

Old August 14th 11, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

Default contacting news group

"Barb" wrote in message
Yes, I had googled and learned that other sources are taking the place of
newsgroups. I'd been in this group along time and really hate to give it
up. I don't do facebook or twitter and don't know what forums are
replacing this nice newsgroup.

Barb

This is one of the best in my opinion:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/

Old August 14th 11, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

We had our share of spammers and insulters but I was willing to overlook all
that-you're not forced to read every post. Looks like most of the spammers
got tired of us, anyway.

Barb

Old August 14th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Kelly Greene wrote:
"dgk" wrote in message

Newsgroups as a whole are dying because of various forums and
facebook and such. But as long as some of us use it, it will still
be here until the corporations decide that they don't want to spend
money on it. My ISP used to have their own newgroup servers but they
ditched them and made anyone who wanted to use them use Giganews.
Well, they got us a discount for Giganews.

I read on another Forum that all the ISP's stopped providing Usenet
NGs because of the cost and time involved with people complaining
about out people and spammers.

Yes. And this is ridiculous. A newsgroup is like the street. If someone you
never saw before shouts some obscenity at you from across the street, whose
fault is that? Should you go to the city planner and comoplain about his
choice of street location? - Of course not. Neither should you complasin to
the service provider when some idiot writes you a message that you don't
like. I don't know why the service providers even bother to answer those
kinds of complaints.

Old August 30th 11, 08:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message
Kelly Greene wrote:
"dgk" wrote in message

[...]

There are free NSPs and I use them since our ISP dropped Usenet. I'm sure
there were people complaining to them over the least little thing.

Old August 31st 11, 09:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Kelly Greene wrote:
"dgk" wrote in message

[...]

Yes. My wife likes to feed squirls at rest stops along the highway and parks
and other places. but people complain that the little creatures come up to
them and look for food, so the county traps them and euthanizes them....
What a dumb world we live in.......

Old August 31st 11, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

My ISP is IO Cablevision in NY. I am getting our newsgroup. At first it
seemed to have shrunk so much I almost downloaded a different provider for
newsgroups.

Barb

Old September 23rd 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady

"Barb" wrote in message
Yes, I had googled and learned that other sources are taking the place of
newsgroups. I'd been in this group along time and really hate to give it
up. I don't do facebook or twitter and don't know what forums are
replacing this nice newsgroup.

..........AFAIC there's no substitute for low-tech newsgroups for
information. Don't have to wait forever for those frellin' facebook/twitter
links to load or lots of generic pix, or bland useless articles for 6 year
olds who've never had any pets.

REally, it's up to the people who use the NG to keep it going. See a cat
food recall? Post it. Have a note on a new vet procedure for cats? Post
it. Interesting research? Post it.

.........At some point or other I do expect most ISPs to dump access to NGs.
Everyone wants services and apps and whatever for their new toy phones.
They barely care about those of us who still have landlines for phone
access!

buglady
take out the dog before replying