Medicating a recalcitrant cat

Old June 5th 11, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jodi

Default Medicating a recalcitrant cat

Well, I'm currently about 2000 miles away from poor Meep.

You might have read my previous posts, where I was deciding how Meep
would be cared for on this trip. I chose a pet sitter, interviewed them
and all and all am happy with them.

Meep has cystitis, which is brought on by stress. She receives one of
her many meds transdermally, rubbed into her ear, twice a day.

I have a security camera, that both sends still images, but which I can
control and get live video over the internet. They know about the
camera, but not about the still images.

First day, Meep was no problem for the sitter. Even let her brush and
rub the Tramodol in.

No such luck after. She's turned into a different cat, one I've never
seen: Lunging, striking, completely freaked out. I've watched this go
on, and the sitter keeps her distance, talking to her and using
approach-and-retreat principles. So far, to no avail. She hasn't been
able to get near her. They even brought over the owner of the service
this morning, but Meep is just utterly freaked out, she was hiding in
the bed covers, trying to bite through the covers.

I'm at a loss. They are not willing to risk injury, or freak her out
even more (due to the cystitis), to get her meds in her. Problem is,
the Tramodol is a strong painkiller, so by now she's probably very
uncomfortable with her arthritis, making her crankier.

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow asking for advice (today is Sunday),
but wondering if anyone here has been faced with the same problem, and
if you have any suggestions for helping Meep. I totally did not expect
her to freak out as bad as she has been, and I'm very worried about her.

Any suggestions?

jmc
Old June 5th 11, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jodi

On 6/5/11 11:42 AM, Barb wrote:
When are you getting home? Can you get home sooner?

Some cats just don't cotton to anyone else caring for them. My Pickles
is a case in point. She stays away from the pet sitter while the other
cat, Chicklet is all over the pet sitter. When I get home after a trip
she lets out a couple of miserable sobs to let me know how unhappy she
has been. Each time is a little better.

With one of these touchy cats it makes it even harder when medication is
involved. That is a real handful. The vet or one of his technicians
would probably best be able to deal with that.

Hope all goes okay,
Barb

I wish my vet made house calls... but she doesn't, and if the pet sitter
can't even touch Meep, she's certainly not going to be able to get her
into a box...

jmc
Old June 5th 11, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

I don't like the idea of the pet sitter transporting Meep unless it's a dire
emergency. My vet has a couple of vet techs who help him out. They are not
paid that well and would make house calls. They can handle meds.

Otherwise maybe the vet could give the pet sitter meds in liquid form which
could be added to the cat's food. Pickles wouldn't allow the sitter to
touch her the first few times so rubbing anything in her ear would not have
happened.

Barb

Old June 5th 11, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds

In article , Jodi wrote:

Any suggestions?

I know it's a long shot but is there any way you could call the house and be put
on a speakerphone? Maybe hearing your voice would help calm her
Old June 5th 11, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jodi

On 6/5/11 12:51 PM, Barb wrote:
I don't like the idea of the pet sitter transporting Meep unless it's a
dire emergency. My vet has a couple of vet techs who help him out. They
are not paid that well and would make house calls. They can handle meds.

Otherwise maybe the vet could give the pet sitter meds in liquid form
which could be added to the cat's food. Pickles wouldn't allow the
sitter to touch her the first few times so rubbing anything in her ear
would not have happened.

Barb

I wish. Tramadol is really incredibly bitter (Meep tells me) so putting
it in her food isn't an option. I'd already be doing it

But that's one of the options I hope to discuss with the vet on Monday,
an alternate painkiller - even if it's not as strong as the Tramodol,
some is better than nothing - that can go in her food, at least until
she's more accepting of the sitter.

I'll ask the vet if any of her techs do house calls.

jmc
Old June 6th 11, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene[_2_]

I wish my vet made house calls... but she doesn't, and if the pet sitter
can't even touch Meep, she's certainly not going to be able to get her
into a box...

jmc

Oh, I know how hard you worked to get a sitter lined up and everything
too. :-( Could you call your vet's office and see if your pet sitter
can't let in a tech from the office into your home? Perhaps Meep would
respond to a tech she's seen before, and the tech could load her in a
carrier and take her back to the office. Not ideal, but she would at
least get her medication and be watched for cystitis. Sorry this is
happening. You must be out of your mind with worry.

Rene
Old June 6th 11, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

There's this stuff called Feliway. You plug it into the wall and it calms
down the cats. I used it once when I went away for a week and left a new
cat with my other cat. When I came home they were best buddies, washing
each other & all. It's worth a try.

Barb