Update on Andy (my cat who had a dental done)

Old August 16th 03, 02:34 AM
rrb_041303

Default Update on Andy (my cat who had a dental done)

Here is an update on Andy. But first thank you all for the purrs & words
of encouragement. They are much appreciated.

Andy is home now. He was not very happy on the way home. He was hissing
and growling at me, and anyone who came near. But I think that is part
of the anesthetic that hasn't fully worn off yet. He is still a bit
groggy and stumbling a little. But he at least felt good to play foot
tag with Mary through the gates. His teeth are fine now.But he did have
a touch of gingivitus so I was given Baytril to give him once a day for
a week.

I do have a few questions for you all. First can anyone tell me if
Baytril is bitter tasting? I asked the vet tech but they said they
didn't know - you would think they would know by now. Fortunately it is
in liquid form so it will be easier to give to him.

Several months ago I switched Andy over to Nutro hairball control food.
It helped the hairballs quite a bit. But lately he pretty much refuses
to eat it. Maybe it's because Nutro changed it somehow. But in any case
can anyone recommend a different hairball control food? Especially if
your cats like it? If I can't find anything I guess I will go back to
Nutro natural choice, or Nutro Salmon flavored dry food. I guess I will
have to buy a little carpet cleaner to cleanup the hairball mess if I do
have to go back to those foods.

Richard

Old August 16th 03, 03:15 AM
Stacey

I've tried Iams Hairball and saw no difference.. a waste of money in my
book. I get that gooky stuff in a tube for my kitties hairballs.. if they
don't like the taste, I rub it on their foot so they have to lick it off.

Stacey

Old August 16th 03, 04:25 AM
Hopitus2

Speaking as one of the probable minority catslaves who are not troubled ever
by hairball
hoarking at our humble abode, every time I go to Petsmart for their food it
seems there are tons of different brands all with "hairball control"
plastered in big letters on bag/box all around me. Naturally, these have
failed largely to grab my attention, since we have far more interest in the
dental prophylactics of certain brands of food. Remain ignorant of "gooky
stuff in a tube" but maybe you could name the brand for the hoomins fighting
"hairball hoarking"?

"Stacey" wrote in message
. ..
: I've tried Iams Hairball and saw no difference.. a waste of money in my
: book. I get that gooky stuff in a tube for my kitties hairballs.. if they
: don't like the taste, I rub it on their foot so they have to lick it off.
:
: Stacey
:

Old August 16th 03, 06:08 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Glad to hear about the uneventful dental. As far as hairballs are concerned,
we don't have a hairball problem, despite having 5 adult cats (one of which
is longhaired). We feed mostly canned food with some dry food available
round the clock for snacks. Whenever we hear a cat coughing, we give him or
her a bit of petromalt. Presto! We rarely find hairballs, so we must be
doing something right.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old August 16th 03, 07:10 AM
MaryL

"rrb_041303" wrote in message

Several months ago I switched Andy over to Nutro hairball control food.
It helped the hairballs quite a bit. But lately he pretty much refuses
to eat it. Maybe it's because Nutro changed it somehow. But in any case
can anyone recommend a different hairball control food? Especially if
your cats like it? If I can't find anything I guess I will go back to
Nutro natural choice, or Nutro Salmon flavored dry food. I guess I will
have to buy a little carpet cleaner to cleanup the hairball mess if I do
have to go back to those foods.

Richard

I am using Wellness and Felidae (both canned). I had been using a hairball
control formula and switched to these foods because I wanted better quality.
Ironically, the incidence of furballs dropped dramatically (but were not
eliminated entirely). Even more irony: my shorthair cat has more furballs
than my longhair cat.

The best thing I have found to clean up after furballs is SpotShot Instant
Carpet Stain Remover, manufactured by the WD-40 Company. It is available
from Target and some grocery stores. Get the blue aerosol can with orange
cap. I have tried all sorts of products and this one is easier, does not
leave a round spot, and dirt does not seem to reappear as it does with many
others. It has a scent for a short time that is reminiscent of dry-cleaning
agents.

MaryL

Purrs for a special lady's cat - update wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX Cat anecdotes 2 August 17th 03 10:00 AM
Purr request - Update Tanada Cat anecdotes 2 August 14th 03 12:51 PM
Jim, Fliss, and/or Zak update? catsruleok Cat anecdotes 1 August 11th 03 04:16 PM
Purrs for Andy RBinCA Cat anecdotes 1 July 9th 03 04:22 AM
UPDATE: THEY CAUGHT THE B*TCH!!!!! (was: This shouldn't happen to a d*g) Alan Erskine Cat anecdotes 3 July 3rd 03 08:26 PM