Really likes his scratches

Old March 20th 05, 09:41 PM
Ken Anderson

Default Really likes his scratches

My cat does something odd that someone here might be able to explain.
When I scratch him on the back near his tail, he will in short order tilt his
head to one side, cock his chin up a bit, then start seemingly lapping the air
with his tongue.
Now, I'm cool with this so long as it's just a pure pleasure thing. But if
Goliath is getting something kinky out of it, I may have to flick that boy up
side the head. Anyone else have a cat do this, or know of it?
Ken

Old March 21st 05, 12:05 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-20, Karen penned:

It's a pleasure spot. It is not kinky. It is not unusual. You can't do it
too much or it can be annoying to the cat, but a good case of elevator butt
is a happy thing.

Ahah! I've been meaning to ask this question.

Okay, so I'm assuming that the term "elevator butt" refers to a cat lifting
its hindquarters in response to petting. In Oscar's case, you can't pet the
bottom half of her back without getting that response: her front is down, her
back is way up in the air.

It's hard for me to imagine a reason for this that *isn't* sexual. What am I
missing?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 21st 05, 04:07 AM
Noon Cat Nick

On 2005-03-20, Karen penned:

It's a pleasure spot. It is not kinky. It is not unusual. You can't do it
too much or it can be annoying to the cat, but a good case of elevator butt
is a happy thing.

Ahah! I've been meaning to ask this question.

Okay, so I'm assuming that the term "elevator butt" refers to a cat lifting
its hindquarters in response to petting. In Oscar's case, you can't pet the
bottom half of her back without getting that response: her front is down, her
back is way up in the air.

It's hard for me to imagine a reason for this that *isn't* sexual. What am I
missing?

That area is rich in nerve endings, mainly because it's one of the
places on a cat's body which has scent glands. Notice how cats rub their
faces and ears against someone, then walk past and rub their
hindquarters on the same area? Those are all places which have scent
glands. The cat is picking up the person's scent and applying its own to
that person, a marking behavior denoting feline ownership; the nerve
endings render the activity pleasurable. It's nature's way of ensuring
the marking is done. That the cat enjoys being petted in those places is
an added bonus to both the petter and the petted.
Old March 21st 05, 06:14 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-21, Noon Cat Nick penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote:

[...]

That sounds plausible. Thanks.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 23rd 05, 08:47 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:05:20 -0600, Karen wrote:

It's a pleasure spot. It is not kinky. It is not unusual. You can't do it
too much or it can be annoying to the cat, but a good case of elevator butt
is a happy thing.

Kitty Hydrolics

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old March 23rd 05, 08:55 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:05:57 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"
wrote:

Ahah! I've been meaning to ask this question.

Okay, so I'm assuming that the term "elevator butt" refers to a cat lifting
its hindquarters in response to petting. In Oscar's case, you can't pet the
bottom half of her back without getting that response: her front is down, her
back is way up in the air.

It's hard for me to imagine a reason for this that *isn't* sexual. What am I
missing?

There is a scent gland on above the tail. They would normally rub up
against things to put their scent on them. So, not only are they
getting their scent on you, but you are helping to release it by
rubbing them.

A lot of cats also really like having their cheeks rubbed, and the
area right behind their ears. Same basic idea.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old March 23rd 05, 05:14 PM
Mary

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:05:20 -0600, Karen wrote:

It's a pleasure spot. It is not kinky. It is not unusual. You can't do it
too much or it can be annoying to the cat, but a good case of elevator

butt
is a happy thing.

Kitty Hydrolics

Hee! I want to add, to the OP, that when petting that spot produces jerky
movements of the head such as he describes, along with biting or licking,
it has often crossed the line into feline hyperesthesia--not a big deal, but
some cats get aggressive. Go easy on that spot. (If your cat eventually
bites his foreleg, that is the hallmark of feline hyperesthesia. Still no
big deal, but my vet says it can be uncomfortable for the cat--like
tapping a funnybone over and over. My cat Buddha has this. She
points her nose to the sky and wags her head back and forth and
says "Mow. Mow mow. Mow mow mow." And if we keep on
she bites her arm. It is hilarious.)

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography