euthanasia - anything I should know?

Old September 9th 03, 06:41 PM
Gary Warner

Default euthanasia - anything I should know?

Hello - I'm a somewhat frequent Usenet user, but never here. My parents
have a cat that it's now time to put to sleep. He's about 14 years old and
over the last month (or less) has ballooned up with fluid in the abdomen.
The
vet did a blood test (negative for any diseases) and then an ultra-sound.
They found lots of cancer all over the body.

So far the cat does not appear to be in pain, but he's obviously
uncomfortable
being so big and each day can move around less and less. Up to now he's
been eating lots (as he always has) but yesterday and today he doesn't
really
want food.

So we are quite sure his time is near and we'd rather do this before he
is in real pain and or before it's the weekend or 2am or something and
then the cat gets in pain and we have to wait hours to do the right thing.

My question is: Is there anything special I should know. The vet they
go to has been good to them for years and seems very professional.
It seems clear enough. But, well, I'm always amazed at Usenet for
the great things people tell me that I never would have thought of
so if there is anything I should know or be thinking of or tell or ask
the vet, please let me know.

Oh: This cat has had THE life. Indoor/Outdoor cat that was saved
from being a "street" cat when very young. Since then has had the run
of a huge yard, had birds to watch and mice to catch. Had plenty of
human affection. It's sad, but it's as good as any being could hope for.

Thanks,
Gary

Old September 9th 03, 07:13 PM
Mary

Oh: This cat has had THE life. Indoor/Outdoor cat that was saved
from being a "street" cat when very young. Since then has had the run
of a huge yard, had birds to watch and mice to catch. Had plenty of
human affection. It's sad, but it's as good as any being could hope for.

There are two types of euthanasia medication. One is completely painless. Ask
your vet about this. They also might want to give him a little valium before
giving him the shot. Your vet could administer the shot at your house to make
it easier on everyone. You could before hand make him a little grave in yard in
his favorite spot or you could have him cremated and put in a little container
on your mantle. Resign yourselves that you will all cry. Try to hold it
together while your kitty is alive so he doesn't get scared while he goes to
sleep. I think euthanasia before our pets are in pain is the most loving way to
go. I wish it were legal for humans. When the vet gives him the shot, he'll be
gone in about two seconds. It's extremely fast. I'll keep you both in my
prayers.

Old September 9th 03, 07:16 PM
Gary Warner

Try to hold it together while your kitty is alive so he
doesn't get scared while he goes to sleep.

I hadn't thought of that.

I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Thank you.