Poor Conan

Old June 17th 05, 06:36 PM
ceb

"Lesley" wrote in news:1119018516.539677.155720
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

You'd brought him home and shared a home with him for a few weeks maybe
not a long personal history but it was there and when you're faced with
a bill you dumped the poor sick kitten back at the shelter.

Well, wait a minute here. Most shelters adopt out with the policy of
adopters being able to return animals who are found to be unhealthy.
Although I personally can't return anyone to the shelter once I've taken
him/her home, I don't think it's wrong to refuse to adopt an ill cat. In
fact, I would like to see shelters do more to ensure that the pets they
adopt out *are* healthy. It's a lot to ask, to expect that people will
take on an animal who has health problems from the start.

I had the experience once of adopting a cat, Finster, who turned out to
have feline leukemia and was FIV positive. I was unthrilled with the
shelter but ultimately decided to give him the best life I could for as
long as he had, which wasn't long. Because he totally won me over with
his enormous tabby cat charm! But I can certainly understand someone
making a different decision -- I had adopted him because my dear Madeline
had died and we needed a cat in the house -- going through the pain of
his illness and loss so soon after Madeline's death was tremendously
difficult.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old June 17th 05, 06:42 PM
Phil P.

"Philip" wrote in message
ink.net...

You people are enthusiasts and some are fanatics.

It just seems that way to you because you're emotionally bankrupt. That was
clearly evident by your comment that disabled cats are "euthanasia
candidates".

Such people are
overwhelmingly driven by their passion(s) with the fanatics often finding
themselves manipulating others with guilt trips to fund their passions.

"If
you reeeeally loved (fill in the blank), you'd do this wonderful thing.
It's quite transparent.

"This wonderful thing" is simply honoring the commitment, obligation and
responsibility a person makes when they're entrusted with a cat's life.
You failed to fulfill your commitment to Conan-- you simply backed out of
your obligation at the first sign of a problem. That makes you a cheap,
sleazy welsher.

Old June 17th 05, 08:15 PM
KellyH

"ceb" wrote
I had the experience once of adopting a cat, Finster, who turned out to
have feline leukemia and was FIV positive. I was unthrilled with the
shelter but ultimately decided to give him the best life I could for as
long as he had, which wasn't long. Because he totally won me over with
his enormous tabby cat charm! But I can certainly understand someone
making a different decision -- I had adopted him because my dear Madeline
had died and we needed a cat in the house -- going through the pain of
his illness and loss so soon after Madeline's death was tremendously
difficult.

There is a big difference between finding out a cat has incurable like FIV
and FeLV and a cat coming down with a URI after going home. Conan was
healthy at the time of the adoption. There is no way to know if a cat is
going to develop something after adoption. In your situation, I do fault
the shelter for not testing, although I realize this is the policy of some
shelters, they leave it up to the adopter to get the cat tested. I don't
agree with it. People need to know if a cat has FIV or FeLV, especially if
they have other cats at home.

--
-Kelly

Old June 17th 05, 08:31 PM
Candace

Philip wrote:

Sweetie pie (notice the sarcasm)

1) Where did you get the idea about a Wednesday date?

2) If you get a rational thought process in your head, treat it kindly
because it is in a hostile place. :^/

3) I am not responsible for how ANYTHING that I post is interpreted. Your
post brings to mind an infamous line "You want the truth? HA YOU can't
handle The Truth!!!"

Here is where I got the idea, from your post, where you said Wednesday
(see #5):

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
From: "Philip" - Find messages by this
author
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 01:33:26 GMT
Subject: !! Rescued from Shelter

After swearing on the Bible to tell the truth, the whole truth, and
nothing
but the truth, Philip under cross examination by attorney Cheryl stated
the
following:

1). The 72 hr free examination policy is from the shelter. This
"first
free office visit" is to be performed by a vet of the adopting party's
choosing, provided the chosen vet is on the list of approved member
vets.
Conan is still with the chosen veterinary.

2). What rescue vet? Conan was brought in by Animal Control. My
adoption
was from the shelter direct, not a private adoption agency or
organization.
The County maintains a DVM on site who gives rubber stamps as to
sterility
and vaccinations. I do not know who ACTUALLY pumps the medicine into
animals. The shelter is the source for ALL vaccinations and statements
of
known conditions revealed to me before adoption.

3). My attempt to get in touch with the shelter's DVM today was
unsuccessful. Will try again tomorrow.

4). Let us NOT be guided by your fears, rather by knowledge that has
appropriate application.

5). "Long term?" A week? A month? I have a line in the sand being
next
Wednesday. If Conan is still in his current state at that time, then I

really need to let go.

There you go, Philip. I guess my reading comprehension isn't that bad.

Candace

From: "Philip" - Find messages by this
author
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 01:33:26 GMT

[...]

Wednesday 6/15 would have been the 15th day. The exchange policy is for 14
days. That means I had up until 17:00 Tuesday 6/14 to make an exchange. I
chose to do make the exchange on Monday, 6/13. Is that clear enough? Don't
go "Adam" on me.

Old June 17th 05, 10:50 PM
Candace

Philip wrote:

Wednesday 6/15 would have been the 15th day. The exchange policy is for 14
days. That means I had up until 17:00 Tuesday 6/14 to make an exchange. I
chose to do make the exchange on Monday, 6/13. Is that clear enough? Don't
go "Adam" on me.

Blahblahblah, I don't even know who or what Adam is. Didn't you wonder
why everyone began wondering on Thursday what had become of Conan?
You're the one that specifically stated Wednesday was the day that you
had decided if he was not better or showing clear improvement, you
would relinquish and replace him. If there had been a time constraint
set on Conan's life by the shelter, he would probably have been a goner
by the time people on this ng attempted to find him on Thursday since
he had already been there for 3 days at that time.

That's probably what you were hoping, huh, that he would have been
"disposed of" by Thursday when you started talking about his
"replacement." Fortunately, the shelter is less callous than you are
and Conan will go on to lead a happy life despite your attempts to
snuff him out and cover the tracks. Bummer, old dude.

Candace

Old June 17th 05, 11:20 PM
Philip

Candace wrote:
Philip wrote:

Wednesday 6/15 would have been the 15th day. The exchange policy is
for 14 days. That means I had up until 17:00 Tuesday 6/14 to make an
exchange. I chose to do make the exchange on Monday, 6/13. Is that
clear enough? Don't go "Adam" on me.

Blahblahblah, I don't even know who or what Adam is.

Just as well.

Didn't you wonder
why everyone began wondering on Thursday what had become of Conan?

snip

No. You all are only a passing fancy. What struck terror in the hearts of
the Devil's Minions was the word "replacement" ... referring to the new
kitten.

Speaking of whom, The Kitten has been here for 27 hrs and he's ... Oh I
promised I would share only behavioral matters with you all since .... you
can't handle the truth.

Old June 18th 05, 05:39 AM
Phil P.

"Philip" wrote in message
ink.net...
Candace wrote:
Philip wrote:

Wednesday 6/15 would have been the 15th day. The exchange policy is
for 14 days. That means I had up until 17:00 Tuesday 6/14 to make an
exchange. I chose to do make the exchange on Monday, 6/13. Is that
clear enough? Don't go "Adam" on me.

Blahblahblah, I don't even know who or what Adam is.

Just as well.

Didn't you wonder
why everyone began wondering on Thursday what had become of Conan?

snip

No. You all are only a passing fancy. What struck terror in the hearts of
the Devil's Minions was the word "replacement" ...

Wrong. The words that scared most of us were "returning to a high-kill
shelter".

Old June 18th 05, 09:04 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:20:21 GMT, "Philip"
wrote:

Had other things to do and other concerns that had higher priority.

Obviously.

Meghan: Don't play "what if" or "best guess" games with me. There is a
fourth *probability* involving my vet that I will leave up to fertile
imaginations to discover.

I wasn't playing what-ifs. You implied that the cat was not truly
well, and I gave the possiblities that include both wellness and
illness. Which one is actually true can be easily determined. All you
have to do is make a phone call. Several people already have. You
chose not to believe them. If you think they are all lying, then it is
up to you to prove your case.

The last time I saw Conan was Monday at 10:00. That's it! Done. Finished.
When I said "good bye", I meant it and in a remorseful way. Done. Do you
understand making *decisions* and letting go? I do ... much to the horror
of enthusiasts here. I then walked over the "showcase new arrivals" and
picked out a kitten.

Couldn't have bothered you too much. You were more interested in your
monetary investment.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography