Poor Conan

Old June 16th 05, 11:50 PM
Philip

equalizer wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:58:22 GMT, kitkatluna
wrote:

I'm kind of sitting here in amazement at all of us.

Why? Haven't you ever seen a bunch of hyper-compassionate nut-jobs
before?!

Caveat -- you should see what happens when this energy is used to
harness the "Dark Side".

eq

Ok, for all this flurry of phone calls and mobilization, what has changed in
the past three hours?

Anybody here going to adopt Conan? Anybody (Phil P) find out the diagnosis
and treatment that apparently brought Conan's health back ... if such is the
case?

Old June 17th 05, 12:29 AM
kitkatluna

wrote:

I'm kind of sitting here in amazement at all of us.

Why? Haven't you ever seen a bunch of hyper-compassionate nut-jobs
before?!

Caveat -- you should see what happens when this energy is used to
harness the "Dark Side".

eq

Ok, for all this flurry of phone calls and mobilization, what has changed in
the past three hours?

Anybody here going to adopt Conan? Anybody (Phil P) find out the diagnosis
and treatment that apparently brought Conan's health back ... if such is the
case?

With all due respect, Philip, it's out of your hands. We appreciate you
giving us the info to find out about him. Clearly nothing has "changed"
other than we know Conan is not dead and will not be PTS in the
immediate future. This is what we hoped to prevent. If you do care, and
since you are the local one there, maybe *you* might put in a call to
find out about his health. Apparently it was not as grave as you thought
as he seems to be doing quite well. It does seem that there is some
discrepancy between your vet's opinion and the shelter's. I might hope
it would be of personal interest to you. I know *I* am furious about the
situuation and this was not even my pet.

Keep in mind, I have been nothing but nice and respectful towards you,
so none of this should be taken as a flame. The others here do that job.
But believe it or not, we truly care about Conan's situation and
wanted to do what we could to help.

Pam
Old June 17th 05, 12:31 AM
Candace

Philip wrote:

Ok, for all this flurry of phone calls and mobilization, what has changed in
the past three hours?

Anybody here going to adopt Conan? Anybody (Phil P) find out the diagnosis
and treatment that apparently brought Conan's health back ... if such is the
case?

We didn't even know if he was alive 3 hours ago. Now we know that, we
know he isn't terminally ill, we know where he is (it was kind of you
to provide that info), we know we can get a decent amount of $$
together if need be. But, no, there is no plan yet, 3 hours isn't that
long...

Candace

Old June 17th 05, 12:34 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:51:51 GMT, "Phil P."
wrote:

If we find the cat, perhaps group members that live in the area could hold
the cat until transport is arranged.

If you manage to get him, please post where we can send donations.
Perhaps a paypal account. I felt horrible last night, and while I
don't remember the dreams very well, but I know I dreamed about a cat,
and I kept waking up upset. It was either Conan or Henry. I was upset
about both last night.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old June 17th 05, 12:40 AM
Cheryl

On Thu 16 Jun 2005 05:58:22p, kitkatluna wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:2Cmse.4236$on5.1678
@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com):

I'm kind of sitting here in amazement at all of us.

Ditto here. Good work you guys! I'd be in for a few bucks if needed
when more is known.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old June 17th 05, 12:42 AM
Mary

equalizer wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:18:22 GMT, kitkatluna wrote:

Candace wrote:

Philip wrote:

Hi Pam. No email from you but ... email sometimes gets delayed in

cyber
traffic.

The ID # that may help you: P0710740

(714) 935-6943 OC Animal Care Center

Thank you very much. I hope Phil can sweet talk them. Phil is in the
shelter biz so he would know how to proceed.

I think there will be an outpouring of $$ from this group for Conan's
salvation.

Candace

im on hold with this shelter right now. i have no idea what to say, but
i'll try! phil...if you are also calling...let me know! i am sure you
are much better suited for this kind of phone call than I am!!!

I got through, and she told me there was another one of us on hold,
must've been you!

He's still there, and they expect to put him back up for adoption. I
expressed my concern that they were a high kill shelter and explained
what was going on here, and asked that he be bumped further down the
euth list to give us a chance to mobilize. She said as far as she knew,
he wouldn't be euthed just because he was ill right now, but keep
calling!

See, Eq, you got the cool shelter staff person, I got the bureaucrat.
The bureaucrat was not nearly so friendly.

Old June 17th 05, 12:42 AM
kitkatluna

Philip wrote:

Ok, for all this flurry of phone calls and mobilization, what has changed in
the past three hours?

Anybody here going to adopt Conan? Anybody (Phil P) find out the diagnosis
and treatment that apparently brought Conan's health back ... if such is the
case?

One other thing, Philip. This should show you that the group of people
around here, as uncouth as some may be, REALLY do care about cats. ALL
cats. Not just healthy cats. Not just adoptable cats. CATS. Take a look
at the activity today. The entire day was about trying to save Conan,
whilst you are sitting there with your new baby Tabby. I am not going to
slam you for your decision, but cut us a little slack here. NONE of us
lives anywhere near LA and we are doing what we can. I think that is
pretty freaking cool. I mean, honestly, wouldnt you like to know that
Conan is healthy, happy and adopted? Think about it...

Old June 17th 05, 01:24 AM
Catnipped

"Philip" wrote in message
ink.net...
Wendy wrote:
Thank God all people aren't like that. We had a horrible time with
URIs with the really early litters of kittens this year. If their
adoptive people had been like this we'd have them all back by now. I
just saw one girl at the vet last weekend with one of my former
fosters. The poor baby had her eye infection flare back up from the
stress of moving to her new home. I don't see her new mommy resenting
having to vet her and from what I heard the love the little kitty is
giving back is more than making up for the vet visits.

Thank God not all cats deteriorate so dramatically starting the second day
home or ... you *would* be getting cats back for exchanges.

The new kitten is quite ball of energy. He's already relieved himself in
the litter box, eaten well, and is checking out the back alleys of every
appliance and piece of furniture in one end of the house. This one does
chortle and roll his rr's. Funny. Quite a vocabulary too.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...ty/Kitten1.jpg

I don't know about anybody else, but I *DON'T* want to hear about this
kitten and I'm *NOT* going to look at pictures because I don't want to have
that picture in my mind when he gets sick and this asshole take him in to be
killed because he can't be bothered with a sick cat!

Old June 17th 05, 02:36 AM
Philip

kitkatluna wrote:
Philip wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your civility. As I have said earlier, with the professional
information I had at hand, AND that the OC shelter will not treat any
adopted animal, I was left with either spending a lot of money thru my vet
or to relinquish ownership of the cat back to the shelter so he could be
treated and then making another adoption. Those were my options last Monday.

Keep in mind, I have been nothing but nice and respectful towards you,
so none of this should be taken as a flame.

Pam, I believe you based on email we've had.

The others here do that job.

The band of merry cat crusaders with all the suave of the Spanish
Inquisition or the KKK.

But believe it or not, we truly care about Conan's situation and wanted to
do what we could to help.

Pam

Let's reflect. I revealed Conan's condition as it progressed, what sort of
feedback did I get? 80% foul mouthed, judgmental, condemnations from nearly
all of those who responded the moment I mentioned the shelter's 14 day
exchange policy. You and Barry were the only ones who contacted me privately
and were civil. The rest ... all Mary/Phil P sycophants in large degree.

At the present, I am faced with a new problem regarding my vet ... should I
fire her in light of what the shelter vet was able to do in a very short
time (supposedly). At the retail customer level, I was handed an expensive
estimate to diagnose and then treat Conan, nearly $300. At the shelter
veterinary cost level, a blood panel is what .... $25? And a shot ... $10?
Result, cured Conan (so we're told).

As is, we now have a kitten who (AT THE MOMENT) is fit as a fiddle, very
friendly (cuddles up on my shoulder and purrs & follows me around the
house), is very talkative, is litter box trained but, doesn't match any of
our furniture. We could redecorate (nudge nudge, wink wink).

Well, the little fella is giving me the "feed me" look so I bid you all
adieu and, a special thanks to you Pam.

Old June 17th 05, 02:46 AM
PawsForThought

Philip wrote:
At the retail customer level, I was handed an expensive
estimate to diagnose and then treat Conan, nearly $300. At the shelter
veterinary cost level, a blood panel is what .... $25? And a shot ... $10?
Result, cured Conan (so we're told).

As is, we now have a kitten who (AT THE MOMENT) is fit as a fiddle, very
friendly (cuddles up on my shoulder and purrs & follows me around the
house), is very talkative, is litter box trained but, doesn't match any of
our furniture. We could redecorate (nudge nudge, wink wink).

Why on earth did you ever adopt another animal? What makes you think
that at some point in time your new cat won't require $300 or maybe
even more in upkeep. Clearly you are in no position to afford a pet if
you dumped your previous one because he would have cost you $300 in vet
bills. Oh wait, you can just dump the new one when it's vet time.
Isn't that how you work? I can understand why people have been going
off on you. It's hard not to call you the miserable **** that you are.

Lauren