knobbly ears

Old January 14th 04, 07:21 PM
Alexandra

Default knobbly ears

Hi!

I posted this problem in alt.cats before and was told that I could get
better advice in here so I'll try.

I`ve got three indoor cats, and look after some strays that live in
the park on the other side of the street. Recently this new Tomcat
arrived, pretty young I guess, but not a kitten anymore. "Tigger" (as
I call him) is a very lively cat and knows how to get his share all
the time, but he has very strange ears. Both are thickly swollen and,
as far as I can make out, hard as stones.

As I am not the fastest person and he is very shy toward people in
general, I am not able to get close enough to him to get a good look,
but from the distance they do not look inflamed. Actually I saw
another cat licking his ears today without getting into trouble, but
of course he tends to shake his head a lot. I have to say that I wont
be able to get him if he doesnt want to, what I am trying, of course.

Otherwise he seems to be pretty healthy and an altogether gorgeous
cat, but I am concerned bout those ears.

Has anybody ever heard or seen anything like this and knows what I
could do?
I`d like to help him, he´s such a nice cat.

thanks,
Alex
Old January 14th 04, 08:38 PM
Sharon Talbert

Find a vet who will tend to a stray, then live-trap him and take him in.
He may have a fighting tom's version of cauliflower ears, or it could be
something more serious.

And while you are at it, consider testing him (and neuter him in the
bargain). These big guys are high-risk for FIV.

Good luck with this guy.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Old January 14th 04, 08:41 PM
Suzie-Q

Alexandra wrote:

Hi!

I posted this problem in alt.cats before and was told that I could get
better advice in here so I'll try.

Actually, they should have directed you to alt.med.veterinary .

8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/

Old January 14th 04, 09:03 PM

As I am not the fastest person and he is
very shy toward people in general, I am
not able to get close enough to him to get
a good look

Youn need two things, a live trap and a vet appointment. Talk to your
vet in advance and make arrangements so you'll be able to bring the cat
in on short notice. Trap the cat and bring him in for testing and
neutering, as leaving him out there intact will result in a few strays
turning into many, many more if you create a climate where they are well
fed, but not fixed and able to breed. While the cat is under anesthesia
they can also assess his general health, look at his ears, etc.

Realistically, if you are going to take care of these strays, you have
an absolute responsibility to make sure each and every one of them is
spayed/neutered. You can check with your local humane society to see if
there are any local rescue organizations that might be able to assist
you in setting up a TNR program (trap/neuter/release) amd help you get
low cost or free services so that the problem doesn't become worse. An
intact male and female and their offspring can be responsible for
creating 420,000 cats in just seven short years, so time is of the
essence.

You can check out http://www.feralcat.com for more info on TNR

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old January 15th 04, 08:40 AM
Alexandra

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I will see what I can do ASAP.

I have asked the Lady who has looked after those cats before me (she
cant do it anymore due to an accident)and she told me that she knows
him and that actually he was at a vets and neutered last winter, but
he didnt have anything wrong with his ears then. Makes me sad he didnt
find a home

Any Tigger-News will be posted

Greetings,
Alex