Prednisolone for cats - can I fill a prescription in a pharmacy?

Old June 10th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Prednisolone for cats - can I fill a prescription in a pharmacy?

According to this article:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...one/page1.aspx

"This drug is registered for use in humans and animals.

Human formulations: Prelone® (Muro), Key-Pred® (Hyrex), Predalone®
(Forest), Predcor® (Hauck), Delta-Cortef® (Upjohn) and various generic
preparations

Veterinary formulations: Delta-Cortef® (Upjohn), Prednis-Tab® (Vet-A-
Mix), Meticorten® (Schering), Solu-Delta-Cortef® (Upjohn), Sterisol®
(Anthony), Cortisate-20® (Anthony) and various generic preparations"

Does the human formulation of Prednisolone really differ from the vet
formula? I thought that 5mg of a drug is the same regardless of whether
it's for a human or an animal.

Old June 10th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 02:32:59 -0500, wrote:

According to this article:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...one/page1.aspx

"This drug is registered for use in humans and animals.

Human formulations: Prelone® (Muro), Key-Pred® (Hyrex), Predalone®
(Forest), Predcor® (Hauck), Delta-Cortef® (Upjohn) and various generic
preparations

Veterinary formulations: Delta-Cortef® (Upjohn), Prednis-Tab® (Vet-A-
Mix), Meticorten® (Schering), Solu-Delta-Cortef® (Upjohn), Sterisol®
(Anthony), Cortisate-20® (Anthony) and various generic preparations"

Does the human formulation of Prednisolone really differ from the vet
formula? I thought that 5mg of a drug is the same regardless of whether
it's for a human or an animal.

Not sure about Prednisolone, but I know for a fact Prednisone is the
same, and can be filled at a pharmacy, as this is what I do for
Internet. I'm pretty sure it should be the same for Prednisolone.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)

Old June 12th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Candace wrote:

wrote:

Does the human formulation of Prednisolone really differ from the vet
formula? I thought that 5mg of a drug is the same regardless of

whether
it's for a human or an animal.

I would say yes. I think the main reason vets want you to buy meds
from them is so they can get the mark up. I've had vets give me
scripts when they didn't have the particular drug needed in stock. And
I have often gotten liquid antibiotics intended for human children from
the drugstore pharmacy for my cats. The vet probably won't want to
write the script if he has it in stock and they all have prednisolone
in stock.

A friend's dog required a daily thyroid tablet, and she had
a prescription from a regular pharmacy. (Although the
pharmacist may have wondered about a human named "Rascal
Parker").

It varies by state, but some state pharmacy rules dictate variously that a
prescription for a cat will have a middle initial of C or F, or actually
spell out the species.

Oral corticosteroids should be therapeutically equivalent in cats and
humans, with the appropriate dose adjustments -- although cats seem to be
able to take what would be huge doses referenced to body weight.
Antibiotics also generally seem compatible.

I would be cautious in anything that affects the nervous system. Opioids,
for example, generally don't stop pain in cats and may cause wild
excitation. Still, certain drigs are usable in the controlled context of an
operating room.

Old June 15th 06, 07:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote in
:

It varies by state, but some state pharmacy rules dictate variously
that a prescription for a cat will have a middle initial of C or F, or
actually spell out the species.

Oral corticosteroids should be therapeutically equivalent in cats and
humans, with the appropriate dose adjustments -- although cats seem to
be able to take what would be huge doses referenced to body weight.
Antibiotics also generally seem compatible.

I would be cautious in anything that affects the nervous system.
Opioids, for example, generally don't stop pain in cats and may cause
wild excitation. Still, certain drigs are usable in the controlled
context of an operating room.

I spoke to my vet who said that I shouldn't worry about the generic
Prednisolone at the pharmacy as long as it's Prednisolone and not
Prednisone. Sure enough, they had to order the Prednisolone.
The only difference I can visually see is the the pill from the vet was
rectangle and white, and this generic one is round and light orange. Both
are 5mg, and the difference in cost is substantial. The vet had quite a
markup. I see that even medi-vet.com only charges about .10˘ a pill.

Old June 15th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote in
:

[...]

Of the two, prednisolone is the active drug. Prednisone has to be converted,
by the liver, into prednisolone, so prednisolone becomes available more
quickly, and liver disease doesn't interfere with the conversion. The
dosages are roughly equivalent; both are less potent than some of the
synthetics. Potency really isn't an issue when giving them orally or by
injection into general tissue, because you can give a larger amount with
little problem. In general, the most potent corticosteroids are reserved
for cases where it's only possible to get a certain amount physically into
the area, such as in skin creams, joint injections, eyedrops, etc.