Some questions about flea infestation

Old September 24th 03, 06:20 AM
Lar

In article , sukibot8
@yahoo.com says...
1. Are there human fleas versus cat/dog fleas, someone told me that cat/dog
fleas cannot reproduce by biting humans--they need cat/dog blood. Is this
true? If so, how can we tell whether we have human or cat/dog fleas? Since
we have no pets, I am hoping we have cat/dog fleas and that they will die
out on their own.
There is a Human flea that usually are spread by working
with pigs. I believe it is more of an European/African
issue than American. Cat/dog fleas don't need specific
type of blood but have just developed as mentioned to
specific furs and body temp of host animals. Cat fleas
(I believe dog fleas too) will have a "moustache" of
bristles where the Human flea will just have a few. Your
flea problem may be from wild animals living under your
home or in the attic or walls.

2. Is Borax toxic to humans?

As with anything else it can be and can also cause
respiration problems.

3. Once a flea comes in contact with Borax, how long does it take to die?

I believe the Borax treatment, due to its particle size
will mainly effect the larvae stage where as boric acid
designed for carpet treatments will have smaller
particles that the biting adult will ingest and die from
also. Borate treatments will be a slower mode maybe
taking several days to see results, but can work.

--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old September 24th 03, 08:04 AM
Ned Flanders

"Suki" wrote in message ...
We have a flea problem in our house. Can you help us by answering the
following questions so we can combat the problem?:

1. Are there human fleas versus cat/dog fleas, someone told me that cat/dog
fleas cannot reproduce by biting humans--they need cat/dog blood. Is this
true? If so, how can we tell whether we have human or cat/dog fleas? Since
we have no pets, I am hoping we have cat/dog fleas and that they will die
out on their own.

2. Is Borax toxic to humans?

3. Once a flea comes in contact with Borax, how long does it take to die?

Thanks in advance.

Ingesting borax can cause irritability, anemia, skin inflammation and
lesions, hair loss, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even death.
Potentially lethal doses from borax ingestion are one teaspoon for
infants, two for children, and five for adults. The most significant
toxicity concerns for borax center around ingestion poisoning and its
reproductive toxicity through ingestion. While borax has not been
shown to cause cancer or mutations, some animal studies have prompted
concerns that it may be a human reproductive toxin, and the California
EPA is currently evaluating it for possible consideration as a
reproductive toxin under Proposition 65. Borax's conversion to boric
acid in water prompts concerns for dermal absorption through broken
skin, especially among sensitive infants and children.

Cheers,

Ned

Old September 24th 03, 04:39 PM
smendrick

It's likely that the flea eggs were left in the house by previous
inhabitants with pets. I have heard that the eggs can last for a
couple of years undisturbed. Frequent vacuuming will help to hatch
the existing flea eggs.

I believe the company "flea busters" uses boric acid in it's home flea
treatments. You can use the same methodology at home by sprinkling
the powder onto carpeted areas, then beat it into the fibers with a
broom. Frequent, regular vacuuming will help in alleviating the
problem.

Old September 24th 03, 05:07 PM
Bill

"Suki" wrote in message
We have a flea problem in our house. Can you help us by answering the
following questions so we can combat the problem?:

1. Are there human fleas versus cat/dog fleas, someone told me that

cat/dog
fleas cannot reproduce by biting humans--they need cat/dog blood. Is this
true? If so, how can we tell whether we have human or cat/dog fleas?

Since
we have no pets, I am hoping we have cat/dog fleas and that they will die
out on their own.

2. Is Borax toxic to humans?

3. Once a flea comes in contact with Borax, how long does it take to die?

Thanks in advance.

I had this same problem that I solved by calling a professional
exterminator. Problem solved.

As another poster pointed out, your problem may be caused by wild animals
that have made a home with you. Rats or mice are common, and they have
fleas too. This needs to be checked.

It would probably help to put a flea collar in the vacuum cleaner bag as
well, but this alone won't solve the problem. Even if no animals are
present, the flea eggs will continue to hatch in waves over time.
Professional exterminators know how to deal with this.

Bill