Rescued cat - why didn't they spay?

Old August 28th 04, 10:02 PM
Darkchild

Default Rescued cat - why didn't they spay?

Hi there - I'm looking for some advice about a rescued cat and dealing
with the rescue group I got her from.

They think she is a year old, and she and her kittens were rescued from
a kill-shelter into a foster home. I adopted the mom and was told that
she would be spayed right after adoption. Well I've had her for a month
- and no one from the group has contacted me with an spay appointment
time. The group has a set of vets that do the spay and it is included in
the adoption fee.

Now I believe the cat is going into heat - she has begun to pee in
inappropriate places and she is doing the rolling around on the floor. I
have not changed anything - no food changes, no litter changes.

I have a fully carpeted apartment and my landlords were very reluctant
to let me have her in the first place so I'm keeping her confined to the
bathroom to minimize the area that she can pee on until I can get
something done.

Anyway, my question is why would the group have waited to spay her
before adopting? Did it have something to do with the fact that she had
her kittens with her at the time? All the other groups I contacted had
had their cats fixed before turning over to adopters.

I suppose I know the answer, I should just get her to a vet and get her
spayed ASAP and deal with the group later? I'm just frustrated that it
seems like they haven't even made an appointment yet.

Any advice?

TIA,

DC

Old August 28th 04, 10:34 PM
Sherry

I adopted the mom and was told that
she would be spayed right after adoption. Well I've had her for a month
- and no one from the group has contacted me with an spay appointment
time. The group has a set of vets that do the spay and it is included in
the adoption fee.

IMO, the rescue group has been pretty irresponsible. They should have never,
ever, let that cat go to a new home without specific instructions about the
spay, or preferably already having her done. In this state, it's actually
illegal to allow an unspayed cat to be adopted--but the law can be bypassed by
collecting a "deposit" from the adoptor, which is what it sounds like has
happened, since you mentioned the surgery is paid for with the fee. There is
absolutely no reason why the cat couldn't have been spayed before she was
turned over to you. I don't blame you for not wanting to spend your own $$$
for a surgery you've basically already paid for. Can you call the rescue org.,
insist that an appointment be set ASAP, or tell them you'll do it yourself and
want a partial refund on the fee you paid?
Don't worry too much about the disgusting behavior and inappropriate
peeing/spraying. My Biskit did the same thing, and those behaviors completely
ceased as soon as she was spayed.
Good luck.
Sherry

Old August 28th 04, 10:35 PM
Mary

"Darkchild" wrote in message
Hi there - I'm looking for some advice about a rescued cat and dealing
with the rescue group I got her from.

Have you called them to ask what is up?

Old August 28th 04, 10:35 PM
Mary

Old August 28th 04, 10:35 PM
Mary

Old August 28th 04, 10:59 PM
Darkchild

Mary wrote:

"Darkchild" wrote in message

Hi there - I'm looking for some advice about a rescued cat and dealing
with the rescue group I got her from.

Have you called them to ask what is up?

I have - no response as of yet. I'm getting a bit desperate though.

DC