[OT] [PW] [Long] America Bashing

Old December 27th 04, 09:29 PM
Sherry

I don't support such talk: but I don't support Americans winding
others up. I just think that the more some Americans wind other people
up the more the average American must expect a reaction.

Again, David, how do some Americans wind people up? What would be an example?
Unless I'm just too close to the situation, that I just can't see it, I can't
think of any example you could be talking about.

Sherry
Old December 27th 04, 09:50 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

bonbon wrote:

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:58:29 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

bonbon wrote:

I'm proud to be American.

I WAS, until our moronic majority actually ELECTED the
current idiot to the White House for a second term!

I disagree. I'm of the opinion that he and his party cheated again.

With "trackless" electronic voting, we'll never know, will
we? (I'm of your opinion, I just didn't want to drag in
another red herring.)

-bonbon

Old December 27th 04, 10:07 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

Only if you did not support your own political system, since any
democratic system must include the possibility (or certainty!) that
sometimes the group that wins is believed by its opponents to be not
merely a less good choice, but to be a completely wrong one.

Except when one suspects "the group who wins" of doing so by
fradulent and illegal means! (Hitler "won" elections in
Germany, too - prior to abolishing the democratic process
there.) Remember, "those who will not learn from history
are doomed to repeat it".

It's obvious to this outsider, and by what I read, to many Americans, that
American society is not only profoundly divided, it is very nearly divided
in half. That means neither side can really dismiss the other as a small
bunch of unimportant kooks, and I think that inflames the rhetoric
enormously.

Some of us are old enough to remember Hitler's rise to power
(or at least to have read about it in school, shortly
afterward). We see too many parallels in present-day
America to complacently assume that democracy will
ultimately prevail. ("There are none so blind....", etc.?)

I also think it would be a mistake to channel political opinions into a
black and white, all and none attack on those who hold them. It doesn't
help to insult your friends and relatives who voted on the other side by
calling into question their intelligence and morality.

Not so much their intelligence and "morality" (whatever that
means) as their judgement. Credulity, alas, has little
connection with intelligence, and the number of credulous
"men of good will" in America is frightening!

I think the US voters made a big mistake in their choice of leader, but
it's their choice, not mine.

Unfortunately, the rest of the world is likely to suffer for
it, however! "Ignorance and arrogance are poor foreign
policy", we've already seen the results of such a policy in
Dubya's FIRST four years, God help the world if he continues
as he began!

Old December 27th 04, 10:12 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:

"Bob M" wrote in message

I have no problem with the people that voted for The Shrub. They
obviously thought they were doing what was best for this country. I
strongly disagree but I won't stop being friends with them.

Yeah, they probably think I'm just as wrong for voting for the other party.
I don't think anyone in America thought, "Hey, let's see if we can derail
this government and ruin our country." They weren't being treasonous, they
were just doing what they thought was best when they voted.

THEY weren't being "treasonous" - I wish one could say the
same for Bush and his cronies! Many Americans believe he
should be IMPEACHED, not allowed to continue in power.
Unfortunately, we're in the minority (so far). One can only
hope America wakes up before it's too late!

Old December 27th 04, 10:20 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

What bugged me the most was these same people had no problem with our
insurance covering gastric bypass surgery for a number of people who really
didn't need it.

At $40,000 USD a pop, with 8 people having had the surgery in a single year,
just imagine the insurance premium increases for everyone else. Oh, I
didn't have to imagine in, I lived it in 2003.

Only 2 people I worked with followed the doctors orders and the surgery was
very successful for them. And they weren't overeaters (nor unhealthy
eaters) to begin with. They'd had a predisposition to being overwheight
since childhood and problems with blood pressure, knee joint issues, etc.
That's who it's for. More power to them!

I can't IMAGINE having any "elective" surgery at all - let
alone anything so invasive and yes, life-threatening! I put
off simple (nowadays) cataract surgery as long as I could,
and that is "elective" only in the sense that you CAN opt
for blindness instead, but who would do so voluntarily?

Old December 27th 04, 10:33 PM
Yowie

I think South Park summed up politics (of any country) perfectly:

"Why should I vote if the choice is between a douche and a sh*t sandwhich?"

Those people who did not vote in the same way as you did may not think the
person they voted for is great or wonderful or perfect, in fact they way
well think he or she is a blithering idiot too, just that out of the two
choices (and its always just two choices), that their choice was only just
slightly less abhorrent to them than yours was.

Yowie

---

Old December 27th 04, 10:54 PM
CatNipped

Yeah, they probably think I'm just as wrong for voting for the other
party. I don't think anyone in America thought, "Hey, let's see if we can
derail this government and ruin our country." They weren't being
treasonous, they were just doing what they thought was best when they
voted.

THEY weren't being "treasonous" - I wish one could say the same for Bush
and his cronies! Many Americans believe he should be IMPEACHED, not
allowed to continue in power. Unfortunately, we're in the minority (so
far). One can only hope America wakes up before it's too late!

Evelyn, although I tend to agree with your sentiments, I have so say... if
you have some evidence that Dubya has committed an impeachable offense, the
democratic party would love to hear from you. It's all very well to say
that we should throw him out of the Whitehouse (and I agree that would be a
good thing if only there were a democrat better then Kerry to take his
place - but even that wouldn't happen, *Cheney* would take his place and how
would that be any different than what we have now?). Short of armed
rebellion which, granted, was successful for us in the past, there is
nothing we can do to change the situation for the next four years.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 27th 04, 11:39 PM
CatNipped

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message

With "trackless" electronic voting, we'll never know, will
we? (I'm of your opinion, I just didn't want to drag in
another red herring.)

OTOH, most cats probably like herring.

ROTFLMAO! Thanks Howard, it's about time we got this back on topic!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 27th 04, 11:45 PM
Mathew Kagis

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message

With "trackless" electronic voting, we'll never know, will
we? (I'm of your opinion, I just didn't want to drag in
another red herring.)

OTOH, most cats probably like herring.

ROTFLMAO! Thanks Howard, it's about time we got this back on topic!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

My cats don't care for herring... Salmon on the other hand....
--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat