Why do cats like bleach?

Old January 28th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Why do cats like bleach?

My two cats, especially one of them, reacts to the smell of household bleach
much like they would to catnip.

Has anyone else had that experience with their cats?

Why do they like the smell?

Thanks ahead of time,

- John

Old January 29th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Mine do too! I have no idea what it is about that smell. I notice if I
get a scent like "mountain fresh" bleach, it's even worse.

When I leave bleach in the toilet, I have to keep the bathroom door
shut. Even after it's flushed the cats will roll around on the floor.
It's crazy.

Rhonda

Old January 30th 06, 07:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Rhonda wrote:
Mine do too! I have no idea what it is about that smell. I notice if I
get a scent like "mountain fresh" bleach, it's even worse.

When I leave bleach in the toilet, I have to keep the bathroom door
shut. Even after it's flushed the cats will roll around on the floor.
It's crazy.

Rhonda

I have never heard of it with bleach, but a friend's cat used to react
that way to green olives - she'd get all lovey-dovey and roll all over
the plate. Makes you wonder what kind of receptors they have to make
them react to such things.

-L.

Old January 30th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 29 Jan 2006 22:38:05 -0800, "-L." ,
clicked their heels and said:

but a friend's cat used to react
that way to green olives - she'd get all lovey-dovey and roll all over
the plate.

I cannot have olivewood products around the cats. They lick them
nonstop. I have ann olivewood nativity set that I am giving away to a
good home ;-D. The cats broke it for the zillionth time and I've
reglued it. There is no safe place for anything olivewood around
here!

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old January 30th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

John Anderson, PhD wrote:
My two cats, especially one of them, reacts to the smell of household bleach
much like they would to catnip.

I've heard of this before.

I've recently been advised by my dentist to use a mouthwash with
hydrogen peroxide and now as soon as I'm in bed after brushing my
teeth, Sarrasine jumps on me and sniffs my mouth and licks my face. She
must like the smell

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 19th 05 05:35 AM
performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 04:17 AM