old and new

Old March 18th 05, 06:36 PM
Jane

Default old and new

Hello folks,
It's been a long time since I have read these stories, and as usual,
I'm loving every minute of them. Meanwhile, I have a story of my
own.

I used to sign my posts with 'Jane -owned and operated by Fin'.

Fin was a stray who picked me up in the parking lot of the apartment
building. He was about 7 months old at the time. He moved with me
hither and yon, and just ruled my life with an iron paw. I always
said 'the only man in my life has 4 legs and fur'.

Just before Christmas I came home and he was laying dead on the floor.
I was just beside myself. We had just moved to this apartment, and he'd
had a checkup and declared 'very healthy for his age' - almost 11 years.
He was 17 lbs, so when he jumped on you, You Knew It. I fed him only
the best cat food. He had his own lease, his own rent, and was even
getting his own mail! And now he's gone. A friend had to come and
stay with me that night because I was so upset.

I lasted only 2 months before the loneliness go to me, so the Saturday
before Valentine's Day I went to the SPCA and picked up Rita. She's
a beautiful little tortoiseshell shorthair with a very squeaky voice.
I think her Indian name is 'Air Escaping From Balloon'.
She's a tiny thing, only 7 lbs, where Fin was 17. The SPCA said she
was 2 years old, but the vet thinks she's only 1, because she's so
tiny and because she plays like a kitten. At night, she's torn between
wanting to be on the bed with me or playing with her mice, so she
brings the mice with her! My bed sheets are littered with little bits
of chewed up toy mice. All in all, she's a most satisfactory pet.

I still miss my Fin at times, but I'm happy to report that I have
rescued yet another kitty from a shelter.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old March 18th 05, 06:40 PM
CatNipped

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

I'm so sorry to hear that, Jane. Purrs for your broken heart.

I lasted only 2 months before the loneliness go to me, so the Saturday
before Valentine's Day I went to the SPCA and picked up Rita. She's
a beautiful little tortoiseshell shorthair with a very squeaky voice.
I think her Indian name is 'Air Escaping From Balloon'.
She's a tiny thing, only 7 lbs, where Fin was 17. The SPCA said she
was 2 years old, but the vet thinks she's only 1, because she's so
tiny and because she plays like a kitten.

Don't go by that. My short-haired tortoiseshell is tiny (just over 4
pounds) and *VERY* playful - and she's been with us for 5 years!!!

At night, she's torn between
wanting to be on the bed with me or playing with her mice, so she
brings the mice with her! My bed sheets are littered with little bits
of chewed up toy mice. All in all, she's a most satisfactory pet.

I still miss my Fin at times, but I'm happy to report that I have
rescued yet another kitty from a shelter.

YAY!

Hugs,

Old March 18th 05, 06:43 PM
mlbriggs

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:36:13 +0000, Jane wrote:

[...]

Good for you! I only lasted one month after my Princess passed on. May
you have many happy years together. MLB

Old March 18th 05, 07:24 PM
Karen

So sorry to hear about Fin But so glad you have found Rita. I miss
finding fuzzy balls in the middle of my bed when I come home from work, or
listening to him play with them and dragging them up on the bed after the
light is out for "just one more toss" since Grant passed away. It's just
the cutest thing when they bring toys to bed.

Old March 18th 05, 09:20 PM
Shiral

Hugs for your sad loss of Fin, Jane. He sounds like a wonderful
fellow. To lose him as you did must have been so hard! Eleven years is
not nearly long enough. Just out of curiousity, did you ever find out
the cause of his death? Eleven years old is not all that old for a cat,
although it is a respectable age. And it sounded like you gave him
excellent care.

However, I'm glad you rescued Princess Rita from the shelter, and have
given her a happy forever home. =o) Home is just not a home for me
unless one whiskery face is looking out the window, watching for me
when I come home from work. I agree, it's very cute when cats bring
their toys to bed. =o) I have an almost 18 month old female and her
nine month old kitten at home, and they are BOTH bundles of energy.
But even Pan, my senior citizen will bat at a tassel if you jiggle it
in front of him long enough. Poor old dear, he doesn't have very good
eyesight anymore, although he see's well enough to measure distances
when he jumps up and down.

Melissa

Old March 19th 05, 01:38 PM
polonca12000

I'm so very sorry to hear about Fin. Thank you for saving a kitty from a
shelter.
Lots of purrs and best wishes for you and Rita,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old March 19th 05, 03:26 PM
jmcquown

Jane wrote:
[...]

I'm soooo sorry to hear about Fin. You have my sincere sympathy.

[...]

I'm very happy you adopted a shelter cat. She sounds like a real charmer.
Can't wait to see some pics!

Jill

Old March 19th 05, 07:40 PM
Mary

"mlbriggs" wrote :

I still miss my Fin at times, but I'm happy to report that I have

rescued
yet another kitty from a shelter.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Good for you! I only lasted one month after my Princess passed on. May
you have many happy years together. MLB

I lasted two months after my Gnarly died. By the sixth week I
realized not only that I missed having a kitty, but also that I
had better get another one so that nobody around here
realizes how much I really do talk to myself!

Old March 21st 05, 12:59 AM
SuzQ

Sorry about Fin. I hope you and Rita have many years together. My Spicey
just turned 2(I've had her since she was 8 weeks) and she's the same size
as Rita, she still plays a lot.
Suz&Spicey